all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* parse-partial-sexp, what does it use?
@ 2008-04-24  0:15 Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-04-24  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

I am getting different results from parse-partial-sexp in two similar
cases where I have tried to setup everything so that it should give the
same result.

In both cases I believe I have the same arguments to parse-partial-sexp
and this is t:

    (and (equal (syntax-table) html-mode-syntax-table)
         (equal (nth 1 font-lock-syntactic-keywords)
                sgml-font-lock-syntactic-keywords))

and

   multibyte-syntax-as-symbol=nil
   parse-sexp-ignore-comments=nil
   parse-sexp-lookup-properties=t

I guess I am missing something, but what?

* Re: parse-partial-sexp, what does it use?
@ 2008-04-24  2:13 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-04-24  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: Emacs Devel

> I am getting different results from parse-partial-sexp in two similar cases
> where I have tried to setup everything so that it should give the
> same result.

> In both cases I believe I have the same arguments to parse-partial-sexp and
> this is t:

>    (and (equal (syntax-table) html-mode-syntax-table)
>         (equal (nth 1 font-lock-syntactic-keywords)
>                sgml-font-lock-syntactic-keywords))

> and

>   multibyte-syntax-as-symbol=nil
>   parse-sexp-ignore-comments=nil
>   parse-sexp-lookup-properties=t

> I guess I am missing something, but what?

`syntax-table' text properties in the buffer, set by
font-lock-syntactic-keywords?
I expect the problem is with the use of `syntax-ppss' in
html-font-lock-syntactic-keywords.

* Re: parse-partial-sexp, what does it use?
@ 2008-04-24 21:54   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-04-24 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Emacs Devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> I am getting different results from parse-partial-sexp in two similar cases
>> where I have tried to setup everything so that it should give the
>> same result.
>
>> In both cases I believe I have the same arguments to parse-partial-sexp and
>> this is t:
>
>>    (and (equal (syntax-table) html-mode-syntax-table)
>>         (equal (nth 1 font-lock-syntactic-keywords)
>>                sgml-font-lock-syntactic-keywords))
>
>> and
>
>>   multibyte-syntax-as-symbol=nil
>>   parse-sexp-ignore-comments=nil
>>   parse-sexp-lookup-properties=t
>
>> I guess I am missing something, but what?
>
> `syntax-table' text properties in the buffer, set by
> font-lock-syntactic-keywords?
> I expect the problem is with the use of `syntax-ppss' in
> html-font-lock-syntactic-keywords.

Thanks, it helped to clear things out. (I had made a too ambitous
redefinition of the syntax-begin-function.)