all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Problems with 'd' and 'delete' key
@ 2008-04-20 14:51 saneman
From: saneman @ 2008-04-20 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have redefined C-d to comment/uncomment. But when I press delete it
also inserts a comment (% i latex mode). Is it possible to assign
something to the key 'd' without change 'delete'?

I have this in my .emacs file:

(global-set-key "\C-d" 'comment-dwim)
(define-key function-key-map [delete] [deletechar])

But delete still inserts a comment instead of deleting a character.

* Re: Problems with 'd' and 'delete' key
@ 2008-04-20 15:06 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2008-04-20 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

saneman <ddd@sdf.com> writes:

> I have redefined C-d to comment/uncomment. But when I press delete it
> also inserts a comment (% i latex mode). Is it possible to assign
> something to the key 'd' without change 'delete'?
>
> I have this in my .emacs file:
>

> (global-set-key "\C-d" 'comment-dwim)
> (define-key function-key-map [delete] [deletechar])
> But delete still inserts a comment instead of deleting a character.

That's strange.   The doc of define-key doesn't mention vectors for
the def argument.

I would just write:

    (global-set-key (kbd "C-d") 'comment-dwim)

This shouldn't change the binding of the delete key.
Note that (string= "\C-d" "C-d").

COMPONENT EQUIVALENCY NOTICE: The subatomic particles (electrons,
protons, etc.) comprising this product are exactly the same in every
measurable respect as those used in the products of other
manufacturers, and no claim to the contrary may legitimately be
expressed or implied.

* Re: Problems with 'd' and 'delete' key
@ 2008-04-20 15:26   ` saneman
From: saneman @ 2008-04-20 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
> saneman <ddd@sdf.com> writes:
>
>> I have redefined C-d to comment/uncomment. But when I press delete it
>> also inserts a comment (% i latex mode). Is it possible to assign
>> something to the key 'd' without change 'delete'?
>>
>> I have this in my .emacs file:
>>

>> (global-set-key "\C-d" 'comment-dwim)
>> (define-key function-key-map [delete] [deletechar])
>> But delete still inserts a comment instead of deleting a character.
>
> That's strange.   The doc of define-key doesn't mention vectors for
> the def argument.
>
> I would just write:
>
>     (global-set-key (kbd "C-d") 'comment-dwim)
>
> This shouldn't change the binding of the delete key.
> Note that (string= "\C-d" "C-d").

I have now tried:

(global-set-key (kbd "C-d") 'comment-dwim)

instead but that also changes the delete key. Could it be a bug in
emacs? I am using a danish keyboard.

* Re: Problems with 'd' and 'delete' key
@ 2008-04-20 17:22     ` djfiander
From: djfiander @ 2008-04-20 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 20, 11:26 am, saneman <d...@sdf.com> wrote:
> Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
> > saneman <d...@sdf.com> writes:
> >> (global-set-key "\C-d" 'comment-dwim)
> >> (define-key function-key-map [delete] [deletechar])
> >> But delete still inserts a comment instead of deleting a character.
>
> > That's strange.   The doc of define-key doesn't mention vectors for
> > the def argument.

Well, I just switched to Emacs and hit C-h k [delete] and was informed
that

        C-d (translated from <delete>) runs the command delete-char

(Personally, I also question the wisdom of remapping a very basic
control character, but let's leave that aside.)

[delete] is translated to C-d by the function-key-map. See also the
comment in bindings.el:

;; Don't do this.  We define <delete> in function-key-map instead.
;(define-key global-map [delete] 'backward-delete-char)

So, in order for everything to work the way you want, you need to put
this partially untested code in your .emacs file

;; define [delete] in global-map with what it would be if it weren't
being mapped by the function-key-map
(let ((delete-mapping (lookup-key function-key-map [delete])))
  (when delete-mapping
    (define-key global-map [delete] (lookup-key (current-global-map)
delete-mapping))))

;; Assuming you have the delete mapping defined above, you don't
really need to do this, it looks like
(define-key function-key-map [delete] nil)

(global-set-key "\C-d" 'comment-dwim)

But don't. Really.

* Re: Problems with 'd' and 'delete' key
@ 2008-04-21  7:25       ` saneman
From: saneman @ 2008-04-21  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

djfiander wrote:
> On Apr 20, 11:26 am, saneman <d...@sdf.com> wrote:
>> Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
>>> That's strange.   The doc of define-key doesn't mention vectors for
>>> the def argument.
>
> Well, I just switched to Emacs and hit C-h k [delete] and was informed
> that
>
>         C-d (translated from <delete>) runs the command delete-char
>
> (Personally, I also question the wisdom of remapping a very basic
> control character, but let's leave that aside.)
>
> [delete] is translated to C-d by the function-key-map. See also the
> comment in bindings.el:
>
> ;; Don't do this.  We define <delete> in function-key-map instead.
> ;(define-key global-map [delete] 'backward-delete-char)
>
> So, in order for everything to work the way you want, you need to put
> this partially untested code in your .emacs file
>
> ;; define [delete] in global-map with what it would be if it weren't
> being mapped by the function-key-map
> (let ((delete-mapping (lookup-key function-key-map [delete])))
>   (when delete-mapping
>     (define-key global-map [delete] (lookup-key (current-global-map)
> delete-mapping))))
>
> ;; Assuming you have the delete mapping defined above, you don't
> really need to do this, it looks like
> (define-key function-key-map [delete] nil)
>
> (global-set-key "\C-d" 'comment-dwim)
>
> But don't. Really.

It almost seems to work. But when I press delete it works as backspace
(deleting backward). Is there someway to get the normal delete key
behavior where the cursor don't move but deletes characters in front?

I think the command is called delete-char but where should it be added?

* Re: Problems with 'd' and 'delete' key
@ 2008-04-21  7:29         ` saneman
From: saneman @ 2008-04-21  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

  > It almost seems to work. But when I press delete it works as backspace
> (deleting backward). Is there someway to get the normal delete key
> behavior where the cursor don't move but deletes characters in front?
>
> I think the command is called delete-char but where should it be added?

I now get the correct behavior with just these two lines:

(define-key global-map [delete] 'delete-char)
(global-set-key "\C-d" 'comment-dwim)