all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* change in fill-paragraph
@ 2008-04-19 17:29 ken
From: ken @ 2008-04-19 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU Emacs List

With the versions of emacs I've been using for years, fill-paragraph
won't fill/reformat include in its definition of a paragraph any line
which begins with a space.  However, the newer emacs version I use at
work will.  That is,

(1) In the older versions, this will be
one paragraph.  M-q will reformat it
fine.  I like it this way.
  (2) In the older versions, having just a
single space at the beginning
of a line tells paragraph-fill that this is
a separate paragraph.  So this would be a
separate paragraph.
  (3) In the new emacs version, all of these
would constitute one paragraph and so be
filled together.  I would much prefer the older way
fill-paragraph works... so that (1), (2), and (3)
stay where they are.

How would I restore the old behavior to the new version of emacs?

Thanks much.

--
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the
same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

* Re: change in fill-paragraph
       [not found] <mailman.10585.1208626191.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-04-20  1:24 ` B. T. Raven
       [not found]   ` <mailman.10602.1208687193.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: B. T. Raven @ 2008-04-20  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ken wrote:

> With the versions of emacs I've been using for years, fill-paragraph
> won't fill/reformat include in its definition of a paragraph any line
> which begins with a space.  However, the newer emacs version I use at
> work will.  That is,
>
> (1) In the older versions, this will be
> one paragraph.  M-q will reformat it
> fine.  I like it this way.
>  (2) In the older versions, having just a
> single space at the beginning
> of a line tells paragraph-fill that this is
> a separate paragraph.  So this would be a
> separate paragraph.
>  (3) In the new emacs version, all of these
> would constitute one paragraph and so be
> filled together.  I would much prefer the older way
> fill-paragraph works... so that (1), (2), and (3)
> stay where they are.
>
> How would I restore the old behavior to the new version of emacs?
>

> Thanks much.

You can get this with

"(paragraph-indent-text-mode)

Major mode for editing text, with leading spaces starting a paragraph.
In this mode, you do not need blank lines between paragraphs
when the first line of the following paragraph starts with whitespace.
`paragraph-indent-minor-mode' provides a similar facility ..."

* Re: change in fill-paragraph
@ 2008-04-20 10:26   ` ken
       [not found]   ` <mailman.10602.1208687193.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: ken @ 2008-04-20 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU Emacs List

On 04/19/2008 09:24 PM B. T. Raven wrote:
> ken wrote:
>>
>> With the versions of emacs I've been using for years, fill-paragraph
>> won't fill/reformat include in its definition of a paragraph any line
>> which begins with a space.  However, the newer emacs version I use at
>> work will.  That is,
>>
>> (1) In the older versions, this will be
>> one paragraph.  M-q will reformat it
>> fine.  I like it this way.
>>  (2) In the older versions, having just a
>> single space at the beginning
>> of a line tells paragraph-fill that this is
>> a separate paragraph.  So this would be a
>> separate paragraph.
>>  (3) In the new emacs version, all of these
>> would constitute one paragraph and so be
>> filled together.  I would much prefer the older way
>> fill-paragraph works... so that (1), (2), and (3)
>> stay where they are.
>>
>> How would I restore the old behavior to the new version of emacs?
>>

>> Thanks much.
>>

> You can get this with
>
> "(paragraph-indent-text-mode)
>
> Major mode for editing text, with leading spaces starting a paragraph.
> In this mode, you do not need blank lines between paragraphs
> when the first line of the following paragraph starts with whitespace.
> `paragraph-indent-minor-mode' provides a similar facility ..."

Thanks for this, but I didn't want to change the entire mode, as the
behavior above by fill-paragraph happens also when I'm using
html-helper-mode, what I use for editing/creating html.  It may well
happen in other modes also, e.g., perl-mode, c-mode... not sure, because
I haven't tried a lot of other modes at work yet.

In brief, I just want to change the behavior of fill-paragraph back to
what it was previously for all modes.  If paragraph-indent-minor-mode
will do this, what would I need to put in ~/.emacs to invoke it for any
file I might open and not have "paragraph-indent-minor-mode" show up in
the mode line?  (My mode line already is already occupied with all it
can accomodate.)

Again, thanks for your help.

--

@ 2008-04-20 17:32     ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2008-04-20 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ken wrote:
> On 04/19/2008 09:24 PM B. T. Raven wrote:
>> ken wrote:
>>>
>>> With the versions of emacs I've been using for years, fill-paragraph
>>> won't fill/reformat include in its definition of a paragraph any line
>>> which begins with a space.  However, the newer emacs version I use at
>>> work will.  That is,
>>>
>>> (1) In the older versions, this will be
>>> one paragraph.  M-q will reformat it
>>> fine.  I like it this way.
>>>  (2) In the older versions, having just a
>>> single space at the beginning
>>> of a line tells paragraph-fill that this is
>>> a separate paragraph.  So this would be a
>>> separate paragraph.
>>>  (3) In the new emacs version, all of these
>>> would constitute one paragraph and so be
>>> filled together.  I would much prefer the older way
>>> fill-paragraph works... so that (1), (2), and (3)
>>> stay where they are.
>>>
>>> How would I restore the old behavior to the new version of emacs?
>>>

>>> Thanks much.
>>>

>> You can get this with
>>
>> "(paragraph-indent-text-mode)
>>
>> Major mode for editing text, with leading spaces starting a paragraph.
>> In this mode, you do not need blank lines between paragraphs
>> when the first line of the following paragraph starts with whitespace.
>> `paragraph-indent-minor-mode' provides a similar facility ..."
>
> Thanks for this, but I didn't want to change the entire mode, as the
> behavior above by fill-paragraph happens also when I'm using
> html-helper-mode, what I use for editing/creating html.  It may well
> happen in other modes also, e.g., perl-mode, c-mode... not sure, because
> I haven't tried a lot of other modes at work yet.
>
> In brief, I just want to change the behavior of fill-paragraph back to
> what it was previously for all modes.  If paragraph-indent-minor-mode
> will do this, what would I need to put in ~/.emacs to invoke it for any
> file I might open and not have "paragraph-indent-minor-mode" show up in
> the mode line?  (My mode line already is already occupied with all it
> can accomodate.)

I just typed M-x paragraph-indent-minor-mode in a text-mode buffer and
it didn't change anything on the mode line. Then I did unfill paragraph
on some indented and unindented random strings with no blank lines and
they were treated as indented paragraphs. Then M-x text-mode turns off
this minor mode.

> Again, thanks for your help.

I don't have any experience with these modes; they are new to me too and
I just looked them up in the docs. I am happy with a blank line as
paragraph separator and I don't see any need for the old conventions for
paragraph-start and paragraph-separate. Maybe tweaking these two
variables would give you what you want. Why do you want it anyway, may I
ask? If it's for publication, you would want to run the file through a
page layout program (TeX, Auctex) which will lose the blank lines,
indent new paragraphs, and a whole lot more.

* Re: change in fill-paragraph
@ 2008-04-22  6:57       ` ken
From: ken @ 2008-04-22  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU Emacs List

On 04/20/2008 01:32 PM B. T. Raven wrote:
> ken wrote:

>>> You can get this with
>>>
>>> "(paragraph-indent-text-mode)
>>>
>>> Major mode for editing text, with leading spaces starting a paragraph.
>>> In this mode, you do not need blank lines between paragraphs
>>> when the first line of the following paragraph starts with whitespace.
>>> `paragraph-indent-minor-mode' provides a similar facility ..."
>>
>> Thanks for this, but I didn't want to change the entire mode, as the
>> behavior above by fill-paragraph happens also when I'm using
>> html-helper-mode, what I use for editing/creating html.  It may well
>> happen in other modes also, e.g., perl-mode, c-mode... not sure,
>> because I haven't tried a lot of other modes at work yet.
>>
>> In brief, I just want to change the behavior of fill-paragraph back to
>> what it was previously for all modes.  If paragraph-indent-minor-mode
>> will do this, what would I need to put in ~/.emacs to invoke it for
>> any file I might open and not have "paragraph-indent-minor-mode" show
>> up in the mode line?  (My mode line already is already occupied with
>> all it can accomodate.)
>
> I just typed M-x paragraph-indent-minor-mode in a text-mode buffer and
> it didn't change anything on the mode line. Then I did unfill paragraph
> on some indented and unindented random strings with no blank lines and
> they were treated as indented paragraphs. Then M-x text-mode turns off
> this minor mode.
>

>> Again, thanks for your help.
>>

> I don't have any experience with these modes; they are new to me too and
> I just looked them up in the docs. I am happy with a blank line as
> paragraph separator and I don't see any need for the old conventions for
> paragraph-start and paragraph-separate. Maybe tweaking these two
> variables would give you what you want. Why do you want it anyway, may I
> ask? If it's for publication, you would want to run the file through a
> page layout program (TeX, Auctex) which will lose the blank lines,
> indent new paragraphs, and a whole lot more.

Thanks.  Those two variables may provide the answer.  I checked the
values in the older version and they are different.  Perhaps just
copying those into the new version will fix things.  Hopefully I won't
have to play too much with the regexps.  There isn't a lot of time for
that on the job.

Having all text filled into blocklike paragraphs might be okay in some
situations, but when editing or writing something in html or C or perl
etc., it's nice to preserve the structure indicated by indentations and
nested indentations.  I really don't understand why the author of the
latest emacs would want to dispense with that.

--

@ 2008-04-22 22:30         ` ken
From: ken @ 2008-04-22 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU Emacs List

On 04/22/2008 02:57 AM ken wrote:
> On 04/20/2008 01:32 PM B. T. Raven wrote:
>> ken wrote:

>>> Thanks for this, but I didn't want to change the entire mode, as the
>>> behavior above by fill-paragraph happens also when I'm using
>>> html-helper-mode, what I use for editing/creating html.  It may well
>>> happen in other modes also, e.g., perl-mode, c-mode... not sure,
>>> because I haven't tried a lot of other modes at work yet.
>>>
>>> In brief, I just want to change the behavior of fill-paragraph back
>>> to what it was previously for all modes.  If
>>> paragraph-indent-minor-mode will do this, what would I need to put in
>>> ~/.emacs to invoke it for any file I might open and not have
>>> "paragraph-indent-minor-mode" show up in the mode line?  (My mode
>>> line already is already occupied with all it can accomodate.)
>>
>> I just typed M-x paragraph-indent-minor-mode in a text-mode buffer and
>> it didn't change anything on the mode line. Then I did unfill
>> paragraph on some indented and unindented random strings with no blank
>> lines and they were treated as indented paragraphs. Then M-x text-mode
>> turns off this minor mode.
>>

>>> Again, thanks for your help.
>>>

>> I don't have any experience with these modes; they are new to me too
>> and I just looked them up in the docs. I am happy with a blank line as
>> paragraph separator and I don't see any need for the old conventions
>> for paragraph-start and paragraph-separate. Maybe tweaking these two
>> variables would give you what you want. Why do you want it anyway, may
>> I ask? If it's for publication, you would want to run the file through
>> a page layout program (TeX, Auctex) which will lose the blank lines,
>> indent new paragraphs, and a whole lot more.
>>

> Thanks.  Those two variables may provide the answer.  I checked the
> values in the older version and they are different.  Perhaps just
> copying those into the new version will fix things.  Hopefully I won't
> have to play too much with the regexps.  There isn't a lot of time for
> that on the job.

And it worked... that is, putting in the values from my older version of
emacs.  Now there's another change to roll back....

When I'm typing a line and get to the far right and the text wraps to
the next line, the new version inserts a space into the first column on
that next line.

--

@ 2008-04-30  3:39           ` John J Foerch
From: John J Foerch @ 2008-04-30  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ken <gebser@speakeasy.net> writes:

> And it worked... that is, putting in the values from my older version
> of emacs.  Now there's another change to roll back....
>
> When I'm typing a line and get to the far right and the text wraps to
> the next line, the new version inserts a space into the first column
> on that next line.

Hello,

  What exactly did you do to resolve this?  I am also interested in
being able to fill paragraphs in this style.

Thanks,
John Foerch