all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* problem with toolbar commands
@ 2008-02-14  3:50 coskun
From: coskun @ 2008-02-14  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I recently installed MiKTeX 2.7 and Emacs 22 on Vista.

Emacs+AucTeX and MiKTeX work fine separately, but when I try to use
toolbar commands LaTeX, view, pdfLaTeX, etc. I get the following
message.

Running `LaTeX' on `test' with ``latex \nonstopmode\input{test.tex}''

However, compilation never gets completed, no output is generated. I
get to manually kill the job. The same happens with other toolbar
commands. It sounds like Emacs gets confused with the location of
MiKTeX?

I have Emacs and MiKTeX 2.7 installed in the directory c:\Program Files
\

Any help would be appreciated.

Best,
Coskun

* Re: problem with toolbar commands
@ 2008-02-14  6:53 ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2008-02-14  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* coskun (2008-02-14) writes:

> Emacs+AucTeX and MiKTeX work fine separately, but when I try to use
> toolbar commands LaTeX, view, pdfLaTeX, etc. I get the following
> message.
>
> Running `LaTeX' on `test' with ``latex \nonstopmode\input{test.tex}''
>
> However, compilation never gets completed, no output is generated.

Does the latex command work if you use it in a Windows prompt?

--
Ralf

* Re: problem with toolbar commands
@ 2008-02-14 14:44   ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-02-14 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ralf Angeli <dev.null@caeruleus.net> writes:

> * coskun (2008-02-14) writes:
>
>> Emacs+AucTeX and MiKTeX work fine separately, but when I try to use
>> toolbar commands LaTeX, view, pdfLaTeX, etc. I get the following
>> message.
>>
>> Running `LaTeX' on `test' with ``latex \nonstopmode\input{test.tex}''
>>
>> However, compilation never gets completed, no output is generated.
>
> Does the latex command work if you use it in a Windows prompt?

I had trouble getting TeX to work on Windows: I had to specify the full
pathname for the executable every time.  This led to a famous encounter
with our Help Desk:

"What program is that?  ... Oh no, you can't have command-line access,
you could crash the whole system."

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

* Re: problem with toolbar commands
@ 2008-02-14 19:37   ` coskun
From: coskun @ 2008-02-14 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 14, 12:53 am, Ralf Angeli <dev.n...@caeruleus.net> wrote:
> * coskun (2008-02-14) writes:
> > Emacs+AucTeX and MiKTeX work fine separately, but when I try to use
> > toolbar commands LaTeX, view, pdfLaTeX, etc. I get the following
> > message.
>
> > Running `LaTeX' on `test' with ``latex \nonstopmode\input{test.tex}''
>
> > However, compilation never gets completed, no output is generated.
>
> Does the latex command work if you use it in a Windows prompt?
>
> --
> Ralf

Yes it does. It works fine if I latex the file in a Windows prompt.
All other commands such as yap, etc. also work in a prompt. However,
they don't work if I call these commands from the menu bar in Emacs
22. Emacs freezes every time I try it. (AuCTeX is also working without
problems.)

I suspected the problem is about path names and Vista. I added c:
\Program Files\Emacs\bin and c:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.7\miktex\bin to
the value of Path variable, but it didn't help. Any ideas?

@ 2008-02-14 21:02     ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2008-02-14 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* coskun (2008-02-14) writes:

> Yes it does. It works fine if I latex the file in a Windows prompt.
> All other commands such as yap, etc. also work in a prompt. However,
> they don't work if I call these commands from the menu bar in Emacs
> 22. Emacs freezes every time I try it. (AuCTeX is also working without
> problems.)

Let's be very clear here.  When you write "AuCTeX (sic!) is also working
without problems.", do you mean that calling LaTeX via `C-c C-c LaTeX
<RET>' works (in contrast to calling it via the menu bar or tool bar)?

--
Ralf

* Re: problem with toolbar commands
@ 2008-02-14 22:37       ` coskun
From: coskun @ 2008-02-14 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

No, `C-c C-c LaTeX <RET>' does not work. I meant to say that commands
and macros are highlighted when I open a .tex file in Emacs.

Best,
Coskun

@ 2008-02-15  6:57         ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2008-02-15  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* coskun (2008-02-14) writes:

> No, `C-c C-c LaTeX <RET>' does not work. I meant to say that commands
> and macros are highlighted when I open a .tex file in Emacs.

Does `M-x shell <RET>' work?  That means, do you get a prompt and can
execute commands, most notably the call to latex?

--
Ralf

* Re: problem with toolbar commands
@ 2008-02-15 12:45           ` coskun
From: coskun @ 2008-02-15 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 15, 12:57 am, Ralf Angeli <dev.n...@caeruleus.net> wrote:
> * coskun (2008-02-14) writes:
> > No, `C-c C-c LaTeX <RET>' does not work. I meant to say that commands
> > and macros are highlighted when I open a .tex file in Emacs.
>
> Does `M-x shell <RET>' work?  That means, do you get a prompt and can
> execute commands, most notably the call to latex?
>
> --
> Ralf

`M-x shell <RET>' does not work. When I try that, a shell buffer is
created, but I don't get a prompt.

I don't know if that would be helpful, but here is the Messeges buffer
when I run Emacs:
("C:\\Program Files\\Emacs\\bin\\emacs.exe")
(source)...done
For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p.

When I open a tex file this is what happens:
Applying style hooks...
amsmath.elc...done
amstext.elc...done
amsbsy.elc...done
amsopn.elc...done
article.elc...done
Applying style hooks... done
Sorting environment...
Removing duplicates... done
Applying style hooks... done

When I execute latex using the toolbar, I get (Running `LaTeX' on
`test_preview' with ``latex \nonstopmode\input{test_preview.tex}'')
without any outputs. When I 'Kill Job', the Messages buffer looks
like:
Type `C-c C-l' to display results of compilation.
LaTeX: problems after [0] pages.

When I do `M-x shell <RET>', I get Complete, In/Out, Signal menus
loaded. I don't however get the prompt. The Messages buffer will have
this additional line now:

Thank you for your help.

Best,
Coskun

* M-x shell RET on Windows not working (was: problem with toolbar commands)
@ 2008-02-15 21:13             ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2008-02-15 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* coskun (2008-02-15) writes:

> `M-x shell <RET>' does not work. When I try that, a shell buffer is
> created, but I don't get a prompt.

At least I don't have an idea what the problem could be in this case.

I changed the subject so that it is more likely for people concerned
with the development of Emacs on Windows to take notice.  You might also
try to send a bug report with `M-x emacs-report-bug <RET>' in case
nobody else here can comment.

--
Ralf

* Re: M-x shell RET on Windows not working
@ 2008-02-15 22:11               ` Mike Treseler
From: Mike Treseler @ 2008-02-15 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> * coskun (2008-02-15) writes:
>
>> `M-x shell <RET>' does not work. When I try that, a shell buffer is
>> created, but I don't get a prompt.

does cmd.exe work at a dos prompt?

check:
customize-variable shell-dumb-shell-regexp

         -- Mike Treseler

* Re: M-x shell RET on Windows not working
@ 2008-02-16  4:08                 ` coskun
From: coskun @ 2008-02-16  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 15, 4:11 pm, Mike Treseler <mike_trese...@comcast.net> wrote:
> > * coskun (2008-02-15) writes:
>
> >> `M-x shell <RET>' does not work. When I try that, a shell buffer is
> >> created, but I don't get a prompt.
>
> does cmd.exe work at a dos prompt?
>
> check:
> customize-variable shell-dumb-shell-regexp
>
>          -- Mike Treseler

Hi,

I am using Vista. I don't know how to start in MS-DOS mode, or even if
that's possible. Maybe I didn't understand your question. How do I

       [not found]                   ` <mailman.7477.1203168359.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-02-16 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: coskun <coskun.hasan.dr@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 20:08:09 -0800 (PST)

> > does cmd.exe work at a dos prompt?
> >
> > check:
> > customize-variable shell-dumb-shell-regexp
> >
> >          -- Mike Treseler
>
> Hi,
>
> I am using Vista. I don't know how to start in MS-DOS mode, or even if
> that's possible.

He didn't say "start in MS-DOS mode", he said "at a dos prompt", which
is an (admittedly misleading) way of asking you to open a "Command
Prompt" window and see if you can get cmd.exe, the Windows shell, to
work there.  "Command Prompt" should be somewhere on your
Start->Programs->Accessories menu.

@ 2008-02-16 17:27                     ` coskun
From: coskun @ 2008-02-16 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 16, 7:25 am, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: coskun <coskun.hasan...@gmail.com>
> > Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 20:08:09 -0800 (PST)

> > > does cmd.exe work at a dos prompt?
>
> > > check:
> > > customize-variable shell-dumb-shell-regexp
>
> > >          -- Mike Treseler
>
> > Hi,
>
> > I am using Vista. I don't know how to start in MS-DOS mode, or even if
> > that's possible.
>
> He didn't say "start in MS-DOS mode", he said "at a dos prompt", which
> is an (admittedly misleading) way of asking you to open a "Command
> Prompt" window and see if you can get cmd.exe, the Windows shell, to
> work there.  "Command Prompt" should be somewhere on your
> Start->Programs->Accessories menu.- Hide quoted text -

Sorry. Here is what I see when I open a Command Prompt:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright <c> 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Coskun>

When I run cmd.exe at this prompt, I see this:

C:\Users\Coskun>cmd.exe
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright <c> 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Coskun>

It seems that all commands (latex, yap, etc.) I run here work. I type
exit twice: once to exit cmd and once again to close the Command
Prompt window.

Please let me know if more information would be helpful.

Best,
Coskun

* Re: M-x shell RET on Windows not working
@ 2008-02-17 23:50                       ` coskun
From: coskun @ 2008-02-17 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 16, 11:27 am, coskun <coskun.hasan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 16, 7:25 am, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
>

> > > From: coskun <coskun.hasan...@gmail.com>
> > > Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 20:08:09 -0800 (PST)

> > > Hi,
>
> > > I am using Vista. I don't know how to start in MS-DOS mode, or even if
> > > that's possible.
>
> > He didn't say "start in MS-DOS mode", he said "at a dos prompt", which
> > is an (admittedly misleading) way of asking you to open a "Command
> > Prompt" window and see if you can get cmd.exe, the Windows shell, to
> > work there.  "Command Prompt" should be somewhere on your
> > Start->Programs->Accessories menu.- Hide quoted text -

> Sorry. Here is what I see when I open a Command Prompt:
>
> Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
> Copyright <c> 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> C:\Users\Coskun>
>
> When I run cmd.exe at this prompt, I see this:
>
> C:\Users\Coskun>cmd.exe
> Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
> Copyright <c> 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> C:\Users\Coskun>
>
> It seems that all commands (latex, yap, etc.) I run here work. I type
> exit twice: once to exit cmd and once again to close the Command
> Prompt window.
>
> Please let me know if more information would be helpful.
>
> Best,
> Coskun- Hide quoted text -

Hello Ralf, Mike and Eli,

I wanted to post an update. As I said earlier, cmd.exe at Command
Prompt works. But cmdproxy.exe does not work. It turns out that Emacs
calls cmdproxy.exe when I do 'M-x shell <RET>' not cmd.exe:

shell run      *shell* C:/Program Files/Emacs/bin/cmdproxy.exe -i

Please let me know if you have any ideas?

Best,
Coskun

* Re: M-x shell RET on Windows not working
@ 2008-02-18  3:11                         ` coskun
From: coskun @ 2008-02-18  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 17, 5:50 pm, coskun <coskun.hasan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > He didn't say "start in MS-DOS mode", he said "at a dos prompt", which
> > > is an (admittedly misleading) way of asking you to open a "Command
> > > Prompt" window and see if you can get cmd.exe, the Windows shell, to
> > > work there.  "Command Prompt" should be somewhere on your
> > > Start->Programs->Accessories menu.- Hide quoted text -

> > Sorry. Here is what I see when I open a Command Prompt:
>
> > Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
> > Copyright <c> 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> > C:\Users\Coskun>
>
> > When I run cmd.exe at this prompt, I see this:
>
> > C:\Users\Coskun>cmd.exe
> > Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
> > Copyright <c> 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> > C:\Users\Coskun>
>
> > It seems that all commands (latex, yap, etc.) I run here work. I type
> > exit twice: once to exit cmd and once again to close the Command
> > Prompt window.
>
> > Please let me know if more information would be helpful.
>
> > Best,
> > Coskun- Hide quoted text -

> Hello Ralf, Mike and Eli,
>
> I wanted to post an update. As I said earlier, cmd.exe at Command
> Prompt works. But cmdproxy.exe does not work. It turns out that Emacs
> calls cmdproxy.exe when I do 'M-x shell <RET>' not cmd.exe:
>
> shell run      *shell* C:/Program Files/Emacs/bin/cmdproxy.exe -i
>
> Please let me know if you have any ideas?
>
> Best,
> Coskun- Hide quoted text -

Hello all,

I had precompiled Emacs+AucTeX bundle. I replaced the Emacs\bin
\cmdproxy file with a different version that came with Emacs 22.1, and
it solved the problem.

Best,
Coskun

@ 2008-02-18  3:11                   ` Mike Treseler
From: Mike Treseler @ 2008-02-18  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

coskun wrote:

> How do I
> check customize-variable shell-dumb-shell-regexp?

M-x customize-variable
shell-dumb-shell-regexp

* Re: M-x shell RET on Windows not working
@ 2008-02-18  3:11                         ` nullius.filius
From: nullius.filius @ 2008-02-18  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 18, 8:50 am, coskun <coskun.hasan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wanted to post an update. As I said earlier, cmd.exe at Command
> Prompt works. But cmdproxy.exe does not work. It turns out that Emacs
> calls cmdproxy.exe when I do 'M-xshell<RET>' not cmd.exe:
>
> shellrun      *shell* C:/Program Files/Emacs/bin/cmdproxy.exe -i
>
> Please let me know if you have any ideas?

You can change your shell by adding the line

  (setq shell-file-name "cmd")

to your dot emacs initialization. But that is not your problem with
running MikTeX thru' Auctex. Your problem is that Auctex expects
to use a different shell called "sh." Emacs is also much happier to
use that shell.

Here is how to install "sh"

1. Pick up a tool that can extract bz2 compressed files. I use one
called 7zip (www.7-zip.org/). When you install 7zip it will magically
set up a file association for bz2.

2. Open a command prompt and make a directory

c:\>mkdir c:\msys

3. Go to http://www.mingw.org/ it points to a download link to
sourceforge with  a shitload of packages. You want the one-

msysCORE-1.0.11-2007.01.19-1.tar.bz2

4. Double click twice on msysCORE-1.0.11-2007.01.19-1.tar.bz2.
First double click with 7zip will decompress the files into a tar
format,
the second double click will decompress the files into a normal
directory structure. Do your normal "Shift click" to select all the
files and directories in the 7zip window and extract them to a C:\msys

5. You should now have file tree something like
C:\msys
C:\msys\bin
C:\msys\doc
.
.
C:\msys\msys.bat

6. This is where the magic happens. You are about to disconnect
emacs from the windows world to reconnect to unix. You are
going to fuck around with all the environment variables so that Emacs
sees a different operating system to the rest of windows applications.

Add the following code at the top of your dot emacs.

You'll have to customize to suit. For example, my MikTeX is at

c:\Program Files\MikTeX 2.6

and so gets that particular magic name.

My Emacs is installed at c:\bin\emacs.. and etc.

;;; _emacs
(setq exec-path '("c:/Progra~1/miktex~1.6/miktex/bin"
		  "c:/Progra~1/gs/gs8.61/bin"
		  "c:/bin/emacs/bin"
		  "c:/msys/bin"
		  "c:/msys/local/bin"
		  "c:/Progra~1/Aspell/bin"))
(setenv "PATH" (mapconcat 'identity exec-path path-separator))
(setq shell-file-name "sh") ;; required for perl
(require 'tex-mik)

7. If you have followed all this you should now have opened
up the true power of auctex, and completely disconnected
from the dos world.

* Re: M-x shell RET on Windows not working
@ 2008-02-18  3:28                           ` coskun
From: coskun @ 2008-02-18  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 17, 9:11 pm, nullius.fil...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Feb 18, 8:50 am, coskun <coskun.hasan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I wanted to post an update. As I said earlier, cmd.exe at Command
> > Prompt works. But cmdproxy.exe does not work. It turns out that Emacs
> > calls cmdproxy.exe when I do 'M-xshell<RET>' not cmd.exe:
>
> > shellrun      *shell* C:/Program Files/Emacs/bin/cmdproxy.exe -i
>
> > Please let me know if you have any ideas?
>
> You can change your shell by adding the line
>
>   (setq shell-file-name "cmd")
>
> to your dot emacs initialization. But that is not your problem with
> running MikTeX thru' Auctex. Your problem is that Auctex expects
> to use a different shell called "sh." Emacs is also much happier to
> use that shell.
>
> Here is how to install "sh"
>
> 1. Pick up a tool that can extract bz2 compressed files. I use one
> called 7zip (www.7-zip.org/). When you install 7zip it will magically
> set up a file association for bz2.
>
> 2. Open a command prompt and make a directory
>
> c:\>mkdir c:\msys
>
> 3. Go tohttp://www.mingw.org/it points to a download link to
> sourceforge with  a shitload of packages. You want the one-
>
> msysCORE-1.0.11-2007.01.19-1.tar.bz2
>
> 4. Double click twice on msysCORE-1.0.11-2007.01.19-1.tar.bz2.
> First double click with 7zip will decompress the files into a tar
> format,
> the second double click will decompress the files into a normal
> directory structure. Do your normal "Shift click" to select all the
> files and directories in the 7zip window and extract them to a C:\msys
>
> 5. You should now have file tree something like
> C:\msys
> C:\msys\bin
> C:\msys\doc
> .
> .
> C:\msys\msys.bat
>
> 6. This is where the magic happens. You are about to disconnect
> emacs from the windows world to reconnect to unix. You are
> going to fuck around with all the environment variables so that Emacs
> sees a different operating system to the rest of windows applications.
>
> Add the following code at the top of your dot emacs.
>
> You'll have to customize to suit. For example, my MikTeX is at
>
> c:\Program Files\MikTeX 2.6
>
> and so gets that particular magic name.
>
> My Emacs is installed at c:\bin\emacs.. and etc.
>
> ;;; _emacs
> (setq exec-path '("c:/Progra~1/miktex~1.6/miktex/bin"
>                   "c:/Progra~1/gs/gs8.61/bin"
>                   "c:/bin/emacs/bin"
>                   "c:/msys/bin"
>                   "c:/msys/local/bin"
>                   "c:/Progra~1/Aspell/bin"))
> (setenv "PATH" (mapconcat 'identity exec-path path-separator))
> (setq shell-file-name "sh") ;; required for perl
> (require 'tex-mik)
>
> 7. If you have followed all this you should now have opened
> up the true power of auctex, and completely disconnected
> from the dos world.

Many thanks.

Best,
Coskun

* Re: M-x shell RET on Windows not working
@ 2008-02-18 21:21                           ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2008-02-18 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* nullius filius (2008-02-18) writes:

> Your problem is that Auctex expects
> to use a different shell called "sh."

This is wrong.  AUCTeX, or rather Emacs, can use cmdproxy.exe just fine
for calling latex.

--
Ralf