all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* What happened to unicode?
@ 2008-03-21 11:00 Neal Becker
From: Neal Becker @ 2008-03-21 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I've been using the unicode branch of cvs.  After updating today, it no
longer builds, telling me that the unicode branch is merged into mainline
and I should do cvs update -A.  I did.

Now I'm looking at a file and emacs doesn't display unicode characters.
Any ideas?

Here's the file:

[-- Attachment #2: test.tex --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 558 bytes --]

% -*- coding: utf-8-unix -*-
% format using xelatex
\documentclass{article}
%\usepackage[no-math]{fontspec}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{xunicode,xltxtra}

%\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
%\setromanfont{Latin Modern Roman} % I don't get the pi
\setromanfont{STIXGeneral} % this works for me
%\setromanfont{Charis SIL} % this works for me
%\setromanfont{Doulos SIL} % this works for me

\begin{document}
What is π?
\begin{equation}
x^2 + 2x = π
\end{equation}

%1/2 \quad 1/4 \\
%\addfontfeature{Fractions=On}
%1/2 \quad 1/4 \\
\end{document}

* Re: What happened to unicode?
@ 2008-03-21 12:16 ` Neal Becker
From: Neal Becker @ 2008-03-21 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Neal Becker wrote:

> I've been using the unicode branch of cvs.  After updating today, it no
> longer builds, telling me that the unicode branch is merged into mainline
> and I should do cvs update -A.  I did.
>
> Now I'm looking at a file and emacs doesn't display unicode characters.
> Any ideas?

Looks like if I do:
emacs -fn Monotype

I get good results.

How do I make this default?  I tried via customize (customize face default),
but that doesn't seem to work.

* Re: What happened to unicode?
@ 2008-03-21 21:05   ` David De La Harpe Golden
From: David De La Harpe Golden @ 2008-03-21 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neal Becker; +Cc: emacs-devel

Neal Becker wrote:
> Neal Becker wrote:
>
>> I've been using the unicode branch of cvs.  After updating today, it no
>> longer builds, telling me that the unicode branch is merged into mainline
>> and I should do cvs update -A.  I did.
>>
>> Now I'm looking at a file and emacs doesn't display unicode characters.
>> Any ideas?
>>
> Looks like if I do:
> emacs -fn Monotype
>
> I get good results.
>
> How do I make this default?  I tried via customize (customize face default),
> but that doesn't seem to work.

Customizing face default is broken for me too - placing in my .emacs
something like the following seems to work though (you might want to
replace the font name (DejaVu Sans Mono) and size (10)):

(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(font . "DejaVu Sans Mono-10"))

;; also for custom default background + foreground colors:
(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(background-color . "midnightblue"))
(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(foreground-color . "lightgoldenrod"))

I filed it as a bug:
http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=35