all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Need help upgrading from emacs 21.3 to 22.1
@ 2008-03-10 14:43 Jones, Brian
From: Jones, Brian @ 2008-03-10 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: alee

Hello, I am trying to upgrade my current version of emacs from 21.3 to
22.1.  I was able to obtain emacs 21.3. using the directions written by
Professor Arthur Lee. Here is the website:
http://www.claremontmckenna.edu/math/ALee/emacs/emacs.html

Is there another website similar to the one written by professor Lee,
that would provide me with step by step directions for downloading and
installing emacs 22.1. Once again I was able to download and install
21.3 with ease. Professor Lee's instructions were excellent. But I would
love to get the chance to obtain the latest version of emacs. I simply
would like to be up to date on new stuff.

Brian Jones

Advanced Resource Technologies, Inc. (ARTI)

Marketing Analysis

Direct Dial:  (703) 682-4792

Cell: (703) 346-7242

Fax:  (703) 682-4820

E-mail:  brian.jones@team-arti.com <mailto:brian.jones@team-arti.com>

"Teaming for Success"

An Employee Owned Company

* FW: Need help upgrading from emacs 21.3 to 22.1
@ 2008-03-10 14:50 Jones, Brian
From: Jones, Brian @ 2008-03-10 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: alee

I forgot to mention I use Windows XP

[...]

* Re: FW: Need help upgrading from emacs 21.3 to 22.1
@ 2008-03-10 19:29 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found] ` <mailman.8671.1205177394.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-03-10 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jones, Brian; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, alee

Please see

   http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CategoryWThirtyTwo

Emacs+EmacsW32 distributions might help you. They come as an
installation executable.

Jones, Brian wrote:
> I forgot to mention I use Windows XP

* Re: Need help upgrading from emacs 21.3 to 22.1
       [not found] <mailman.8668.1205175240.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-03-10 22:53 ` Pete Axon
From: Pete Axon @ 2008-03-10 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Try this guide

http://derekslager.com/blog/posts/2006/12/emacs-hack-1-installing-emacs-on-windows.ashx

* Re: Need help upgrading from emacs 21.3 to 22.1
@ 2008-03-10 23:49   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-03-10 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pete Axon; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Pete Axon wrote:
> Try this guide
>
> http://derekslager.com/blog/posts/2006/12/emacs-hack-1-installing-emacs-on-windows.ashx

But everything there is not valid for Emacs 22.

* Re: Need help upgrading from emacs 21.3 to 22.1
@ 2008-03-11  1:04     ` Pete Axon
From: Pete Axon @ 2008-03-11  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Pete Axon wrote:
>> Try this guide
>>
>> http://derekslager.com/blog/posts/2006/12/emacs-hack-1-installing-emacs-on-windows.ashx
>

> But everything there is not valid for Emacs 22.

I used it to set up GNU Emacs 22 on my system and it worked fine. I
downloaded the windows port from the gnu site.

@ 2008-03-11  1:14   ` Jason Rumney
       [not found]     ` <mailman.8692.1205200547.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jason Rumney @ 2008-03-11  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 10 Mar, 19:29, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
<lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Emacs+EmacsW32 distributions might help you. They come as an
> installation executable.

Are these based on the released version of Emacs 22.1? Last time I
checked, they were still based on older development code.

You can download Emacs 22.1 from ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows
The other instructions should be as valid as they were previously, but
really all you need to do is uncompress the file to a directory and
run it (emacs.exe, or runemacs.exe to hide the command window). If you
want an Emacs icon in the start menu, then run addpm.exe.

I'd recommend against copying someone else's .emacs file, as the
webpage you linked to does. For one thing, most of what is in that
file is cruft, enabling things that are already enabled in 22.1 (or
even 21.3 in many cases). For another, the changes it makes to the
defaults are the personal preferences of the author of that .emacs,
and may not coincide with your own preferences.

* Re: FW: Need help upgrading from emacs 21.3 to 22.1
@ 2008-03-11  1:55     ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found]     ` <mailman.8692.1205200547.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-03-11  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Rumney; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Jason Rumney wrote:
> On 10 Mar, 19:29, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
> <lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Emacs+EmacsW32 distributions might help you. They come as an
>> installation executable.
>
> Are these based on the released version of Emacs 22.1? Last time I
> checked, they were still based on older development code.

Still an old version, but it was made just a little bit more than a week
before the release of 22.1, so the differences are small.

> You can download Emacs 22.1 from ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows
> The other instructions should be as valid as they were previously, but
> really all you need to do is uncompress the file to a directory and
> run it (emacs.exe, or runemacs.exe to hide the command window). If you
> want an Emacs icon in the start menu, then run addpm.exe.

I think there were something about environmental variable too. Didn't
the default change in Emacs 22? I think there is no need to set that in
Emacs 22.

@ 2008-03-11  8:21 ` Lee, Art
       [not found]   ` <mailman.8713.1205251646.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lee, Art @ 2008-03-11  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jones, Brian; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Brian,

I have not done it myself, but my quick look into it suggests that
you need to go to http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/ and
download this one

    emacs-22.1-bin-i386.zip         03-Jun-2007 15:21   36M

instead of the one my instructions suggests, namely this one:

    emacs-21.3-bin-i386.tar.gz      10-Mar-2004 18:40   13M

The rest of my instructions should be the same.

That is what I would say, but I would have to try it to know for sure.

Good luck,
                - Art

@ 2008-03-11 16:07   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found]   ` <mailman.8713.1205251646.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-03-11 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lee, Art; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Jones, Brian

Hi Art,

The handling of HOME has changed on Windows in Emacs 22, see

    (info "(emacs) Windows HOME")

Best wishes,

@ 2008-03-11 16:45     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2008-03-11 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 11 Mar, 16:07, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
<lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Art,
>
> The handling of HOME has changed on Windows in Emacs 22, see
>
>     (info "(emacs) Windows HOME")

Since the linked instructions advise to set a HOME environment
variable, the changes are irrelevant. The changes are only to the
default value of HOME if the environment variable is not set, and even
then have been done in a way that is backwards compatible for people
who installed a previous version of Emacs or are following
installation instructions for a previous version.

* Re: Need help upgrading from emacs 21.3 to 22.1
@ 2008-03-11 18:21       ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-03-11 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Rumney; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Jason Rumney wrote:
> On 11 Mar, 16:07, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
> <lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Art,
>>
>> The handling of HOME has changed on Windows in Emacs 22, see
>>
>>     (info "(emacs) Windows HOME")
>
> Since the linked instructions advise to set a HOME environment
> variable, the changes are irrelevant. The changes are only to the
> default value of HOME if the environment variable is not set, and even
> then have been done in a way that is backwards compatible for people
> who installed a previous version of Emacs or are following
> installation instructions for a previous version.

Thanks Jason, sorry if I gave another impression, I did not think about
that possibility. I just thought that Art might have given different
instructions if he had written them for Emacs 22 from the beginning.

@ 2008-03-16 19:16       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-03-16 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Still an old version, but it was made just a little bit more than a week
> before the release of 22.1, so the differences are small.

Anything based on a prerelease should have been updated to 22.1 by now.
Could you try and make sure that the download on that site is updated
(or at least removed)?