David Kastrup wrote: > "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" writes: > >> I get terrible underlines with CVS Emacs 23, see the attached >> picture. I guess this has something to do with the new font handling, >> or? > > They look fine to me. Have you looked at the screenshot? Maybe it > captures the way things should look rather than how they actually do? > Lennart's screenshot doesn't look good to me - it's underline merges with the character bases (and doesn't break for the p descender like it should if the underline is crossing it, but that's a more subtle issue). However, it's probably font-dependent and font-size dependent. I imagine emacs could be using some metrics from the font to decide where to position the underline... And there's also a quantisation issue - at small font pixel sizes, the "natural" position for an underline could have to be distorted to match the pixel grid for a sharp, detached underline. Lennart, you might just try a different font and/or bigger font size, see if the underline detaches from the bases... Attached is what underline looks like on an out-of-box cvs build on my system (which is apparently defaulting to bitstream vera sans. In fact, I can't seem to stop it using bitstream vera sans at the moment, but that's another issue, see bug #35). As you can see, it's not quite perfect (due to aforementioned descender issues), but much nicer than Lennart's screenshot.