all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Bind RET to command
@ 2008-02-21 10:21 Florian Lindner
From: Florian Lindner @ 2008-02-21 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,
I want to indent the current line when changing the line with return.

The command AFAIK is reindent-then-newline-and-indent.

How can I bind this to return but only in LaTeX mode (Auctex) and
python-mode.

Thanks,

Florian

--
I'm using an evaluation license of nemo since 72 days.
You should really try it!

* Re: Bind RET to command
@ 2008-02-21 11:31 ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found] ` <mailman.7735.1203593497.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-02-21 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Florian Lindner <Florian.Lindner@xgm.de> writes:

Hi Florian,

> How can I bind this to return but only in LaTeX mode (Auctex) and
> python-mode.

One way to do it is that:

(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (local-set-key (kbd "RET") 'newline-and-indent)))

(add-hook 'python-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (local-set-key (kbd "RET") 'newline-and-indent)))

(Or add the local-set-key expression to a function you already add to
those hooks.)

Bye,
Tassilo
--
People sometimes  ask me if it  is a sin in  the Church of  Emacs to use
vi. Using a free  version of vi is not a sin; it  is a penance. So happy

* Re: Bind RET to command
@ 2008-02-21 11:32 ` Michael Hoffman
       [not found] ` <mailman.7735.1203593497.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Hoffman @ 2008-02-21 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Florian Lindner wrote:
> Hello,
> I want to indent the current line when changing the line with return.
>
> The command AFAIK is reindent-then-newline-and-indent.
>
> How can I bind this to return but only in LaTeX mode (Auctex) and
> python-mode.

For python-mode, try:

(add-hook 'python-mode-hook
           '(lambda ()
              (define-key python-mode-map "\C-m"

@ 2008-02-22 17:55   ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2008-02-22 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Tassilo Horn (2008-02-21) writes:

> Florian Lindner <Florian.Lindner@xgm.de> writes:
>
>> How can I bind this to return but only in LaTeX mode (Auctex) and
>> python-mode.
>
> One way to do it is that:
>
> (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook
>           (lambda ()
>             (local-set-key (kbd "RET") 'newline-and-indent)))

There is a much easier way.  Just do
M-x customize-variable <RET> TeX-newline-function <RET>

--
Ralf

* use-file-dialog
@ 2008-02-22 23:54     ` admin
From: admin @ 2008-02-22 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Where the heck can I get use-file-dialog in the settings in order to
switch OFF this annoying popup file selection window.
Cant a developer have a tickbox with the option on this popup menu to
leave us with CLI file open?

Every time I install a system I have to change this for every user and
it is always difficult to find.
Is it not possible to have the settings remain in the user's .emax
directory in order that upgrades do not reset all the previous settings?
Emacs is very configurable, but at least the user settings must be
remembered accross versions.

* Re: use-file-dialog
@ 2008-02-23  0:11         ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-02-23  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Bastien wrote:
>> Emacs is very configurable, but at least the user settings must be
>> remembered accross versions.

A very big effort is put into the development of Emacs to ensure this as
far as possible. Sometimes however conflicting interests (new users vs
old users for example) makes it impossible.

* Re: use-file-dialog
@ 2008-02-23  0:59             ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-02-23  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien Guerry; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Bastien Guerry wrote:
> Hi Lennart,

>> A very big effort is put into the development of Emacs to ensure this
>> as far as possible. Sometimes however conflicting interests (new users
>> vs old users for example) makes it impossible.
>
> (Please note that I'm not the author of the quote in your answer.)

Hi Bastien,

Yes, I am aware of that. Sorry if I gave an impression that you do not
know about the effort I mentioned. I am sure you do.

* Re: use-file-dialog
@ 2008-02-23  1:06       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2008-02-23  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: admin@mmri.us; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"admin@mmri.us" <admin@mmri.us> writes:

> Where the heck can I get use-file-dialog in the settings in order to
> switch OFF this annoying popup file selection window.

C-h v use-file-dialog RET

Will let you customize this.

> Is it not possible to have the settings remain in the user's .emax
> directory in order that upgrades do not reset all the previous
> settings?

This is the case.

> Emacs is very configurable, but at least the user settings must be
> remembered accross versions.

Same here...

--
Bastien

* Re: use-file-dialog
@ 2008-02-23  1:44           ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2008-02-23  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2008-02-23 16:43       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-02-23 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, Feb 23 2008, admin@mmri.us wrote:

> Where the heck can I get use-file-dialog in the settings in order to switch
> OFF this annoying popup file selection window.
> Cant a developer have a tickbox with the option on this popup menu to leave us
> with CLI file open?

The file dialog pops up only when using menus or tool bar buttons.  If
you use `C-x C-f', you won't see it.

,----[ <f1> v use-file-dialog RET ]

`----

> Every time I install a system I have to change this for every user and it is
> always difficult to find.
> Is it not possible to have the settings remain in the user's .emax directory
> in order that upgrades do not reset all the previous settings?
> Emacs is very configurable, but at least the user settings must be remembered
> accross versions.

What's wrong with (setq use-file-dialog nil) in `~/.emacs' (or use
customize)?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: use-file-dialog
@ 2008-02-24 15:24       ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2008-02-24 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

admin@mmri.us wrote:
> Every time I install a system I have to change this for every user and
> it is always difficult to find.
> Is it not possible to have the settings remain in the user's .emax
> directory in order that upgrades do not reset all the previous settings?
> Emacs is very configurable, but at least the user settings must be
> remembered accross versions.

You can put customizations into default.el or site-start.el, which are
shared by all users.  Those files can be located in the
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp directory, which is shared by all Emacs
versions.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA