all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* global-visual-line-mode Word Wrap
@ 2011-07-15 17:47 spinner
From: spinner @ 2011-07-15 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

I have (global-visual-line-mode 1) in my emacs file and it functions fine in
wrapping text that I'm writing that's more readable. But when I go back and
edit what I've written, the wrapping no longer occurs naturally. I've have
to fiddle around to get the line breaks right. The lines are longer than
expected and I then need to do so work to make its appearance consistent and
wrap as expected.

I'm wondering if there is a solution so I don't need to do this extra work
when editing text.

* Re: global-visual-line-mode Word Wrap
@ 2011-07-15 21:50 ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2011-07-15 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2011-07-15 19:47, spinner wrote:

> I have (global-visual-line-mode 1) in my emacs file and it functions fine in
> wrapping text that I'm writing that's more readable. But when I go back and
> edit what I've written, the wrapping no longer occurs naturally. I've have
> to fiddle around to get the line breaks right. The lines are longer than
> expected and I then need to do so work to make its appearance consistent and
> wrap as expected.
>
> I'm wondering if there is a solution so I don't need to do this extra work
> when editing text.

I'm not sure, but it sounds to me like you are talking about
auto-fill-mode, not global-visual-line-mode.  global-visual-line-mode
only makes Emacs commands act on visual lines instead of logical
(actual) lines.

If you indeed *are* talking about auto-fill-mode, it is a feature, not a
bug.  You can, however, manually "fill" the paragraph you're currently
on by hitting M-q.

Hope that helps,
Deniz

* Re: global-visual-line-mode Word Wrap
@ 2011-07-15 23:49   ` spinner
From: spinner @ 2011-07-15 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Deniz:

After checking, you are correct. My issue is indeed related to
auto-fill-mode. And I have discovered that M-q cleans up my wrapping after
my text editing.

I'm new to emacs and would have thought line wrapping from such edits would
occur automatically. Regardless, M-q is much more efficient that manually
cleaning up. Thank you.

@ 2011-07-17 14:07     ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2011-07-17 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spinner; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

On Jul 15, 2011, at 6:49 PM, spinner wrote:

> I'm new to emacs and would have thought line wrapping from such edits would
> occur automatically.

Emacs is a sea of options... this is an option.  Check out auto-fill-mode

Probably one newbie tendency is to find things like this and add them always to be the default with:

(auto-fill-mode t)

which is fine but you probably want to hook in to the mode hooks to do that so that auto fill is on (or off) depending upon the mode of the buffer.  I flip back and forth frequently so I have this tied to a key.

Good luck!
pedz