all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacsclient and gnuclient on msw2000
@ 2008-01-13 18:59 B. T. Raven
       [not found] ` <mailman.6106.1200256527.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: B. T. Raven @ 2008-01-13 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I want to associate certain file extensions with Emacs so that a new
instance of Emacs is not opened when a file is clicked on. Is it
possible to do this in a w32 environment? Recently I saw this in the ng
but I don't understand it:

"
REM $Id: emacsassoc.bat,v 1.1 2003/01/10 08:21:27 reichr Exp $
REM You should adjust the path to gnuclientw.exe
REM %%1 is needed for 4nt, %1 can be used for cmd.exe

ftype emacs-file=c:\emacs\bin\gnuclientw.exe -q -F "%%1"
assoc .vhdl=emacs-file
assoc .vhd=emacs-file
assoc .v=emacs-file
assoc .c=emacs-file
assoc .txt=emacs-file
assoc .el=emacs-file
assoc .tex=emacs-file
"

I have changed the path to match my local one but I see that in the bin
directory I have emacsclientw and not gnuclient.

I have deleted the .txt association (with Notepad) from the w2000
extensions and I wanted to do something like in the above example to
have any .txt file opened in a buffer in an already open emacs instance.
Is that possible?

My version is 22.1

Thanks,
Ed

* Re: emacsclient and gnuclient on msw2000
@ 2008-01-13 20:35 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found] ` <mailman.6106.1200256527.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-01-13 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

B. T. Raven wrote:
> I want to associate certain file extensions with Emacs so that a new
> instance of Emacs is not opened when a file is clicked on. Is it
> possible to do this in a w32 environment? Recently I saw this in the ng
> but I don't understand it:
>
> "
> REM $Id: emacsassoc.bat,v 1.1 2003/01/10 08:21:27 reichr Exp $
> REM You should adjust the path to gnuclientw.exe
> REM %%1 is needed for 4nt, %1 can be used for cmd.exe
>
> ftype emacs-file=c:\emacs\bin\gnuclientw.exe -q -F "%%1"
> assoc .vhdl=emacs-file
> assoc .vhd=emacs-file
> assoc .v=emacs-file
> assoc .c=emacs-file
> assoc .txt=emacs-file
> assoc .el=emacs-file
> assoc .tex=emacs-file
> "
>
> I have changed the path to match my local one but I see that in the bin
> directory I have emacsclientw and not gnuclient.
>
> I have deleted the .txt association (with Notepad) from the w2000
> extensions and I wanted to do something like in the above example to
> have any .txt file opened in a buffer in an already open emacs instance.
> Is that possible?
>
> My version is 22.1

Hi Ed,

There are some brief instructions here

   http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/WThirtyTwoFileAssociations

Notice that with Emacs 22 you can use emacsclientw.exe instead of
gnuclientw.exe.

@ 2008-01-13 22:16   ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2008-01-13 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
> B. T. Raven wrote:
>> I want to associate certain file extensions with Emacs so that a new
>> instance of Emacs is not opened when a file is clicked on. Is it
>> possible to do this in a w32 environment? Recently I saw this in the
>> ng but I don't understand it:
>>
>> "
>> REM $Id: emacsassoc.bat,v 1.1 2003/01/10 08:21:27 reichr Exp $
>> REM You should adjust the path to gnuclientw.exe
>> REM %%1 is needed for 4nt, %1 can be used for cmd.exe
>>
>> ftype emacs-file=c:\emacs\bin\gnuclientw.exe -q -F "%%1"
>> assoc .vhdl=emacs-file
>> assoc .vhd=emacs-file
>> assoc .v=emacs-file
>> assoc .c=emacs-file
>> assoc .txt=emacs-file
>> assoc .el=emacs-file
>> assoc .tex=emacs-file
>> "
>>
>> I have changed the path to match my local one but I see that in the
>> bin directory I have emacsclientw and not gnuclient.
>>
>> I have deleted the .txt association (with Notepad) from the w2000
>> extensions and I wanted to do something like in the above example to
>> have any .txt file opened in a buffer in an already open emacs instance.
>> Is that possible?
>>
>> My version is 22.1
>
> Hi Ed,
>
> There are some brief instructions here
>
>   http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/WThirtyTwoFileAssociations
>
> Notice that with Emacs 22 you can use emacsclientw.exe instead of
> gnuclientw.exe.

Thanks, Lennart. I couldn't figure out how to do the following and I was
nervous about diddling with the registry anyway:

1. Add the registry key as described above, i.e.

   [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\openwemacs\command] ;;; I don't understand
this

2. Set the value of command to the following, adjusting the path as
necessary:

   C:\emacs-22\emacs\bin\emacsclientw.exe -n "%1"

The fact that this might not work if emacs weren't running wouldn't be a
problem since emacs is the first thing I start anyway after booting.

What I did in a cmd shell was:

ftype emacs=c:\emacs\bin\emacsclientw.exe -n "%1"

and then

assoc .txt=emacs

and now from regedit I see:

hkey_classes_root > .txt
emacs

but below .txt > shell > open > command

there is still notepad.exe

If for now I am satisfied with having only .txt files automatically
opened with emacsclient, what other registry surgery do I have to do?
My assigning a value to directly to .txt seems to be short circuiting
the notepad command.

Anyway it works as long as I do M-x server-start (or put (server-start)
in .emacs

Thanks again,

@ 2008-01-13 23:04     ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-01-13 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Thanks, Lennart. I couldn't figure out how to do the following and I was
> nervous about diddling with the registry anyway:
>
> 1. Add the registry key as described above, i.e.
>
>   [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\openwemacs\command] ;;; I don't understand
> this
>
> 2. Set the value of command to the following, adjusting the path as
> necessary:
>
>   C:\emacs-22\emacs\bin\emacsclientw.exe -n "%1"

Instead of editing the registry keys directly you can in Windows
Explorer from the menus choose

   Tools - Folder Options

and then the tab "File Types".