all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Meaning ofprefixes
@ 2008-01-12 12:22 matthias
From: matthias @ 2008-01-12 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

is there any proposed meaning for the different prefixes (like C-x, C-c,
etc)?

matthias

* Re: Meaning ofprefixes
@ 2008-01-12 13:05 ` B. Smith-Mannschott
From: B. Smith-Mannschott @ 2008-01-12 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: matthias; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 12, 2008, at 13:22, matthias wrote:

> is there any proposed meaning for the different prefixes (like C-x,
> C-c, etc)?

I think C-c prefixes tend to be used for things that are specific to
the current major editing mode. C-x is used for things that are more
global.

[off topic] Incidentally, as I was browsing C-h b (describe-bindings)
to confirm this hunch, I discovered kmacro.el, which allows macro
definition and execution using F3 and F4, implements a keyboard macro
ring (remembering previous macros), and provides a simple macro
counter for inserting numbers (incremented each time) as part of a
macro.  I had no idea.  I'm still using the "traditional" bindings C-x
(, C-x ), C-x e just as I have been since was first exposed to emacs
over 10 years ago.  I'm sure there are still whole worlds of
functionality in emacs I'm completely unaware of. What a beast it is.

// ben

* Re: Meaning ofprefixes
@ 2008-01-12 13:53   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-01-12 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: B. Smith-Mannschott; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, matthias

B. Smith-Mannschott wrote:

> On Jan 12, 2008, at 13:22, matthias wrote:
>
>> is there any proposed meaning for the different prefixes (like C-x,
>> C-c, etc)?
>>

> I think C-c prefixes tend to be used for things that are specific to the
> current major editing mode. C-x is used for things that are more global.

See also

   M-x (info "(elisp) Key Binding Conventions")