all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Using DocView on Cygwin
@ 2008-01-05  0:31 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2008-01-05  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

The following refers to the build (bootstrap) with 23.0.50-CVS of 14
hours ago.

The first thing I note is that loading a PDF file, it appears a buffer
suggesting something:

'q'...
'k'...

but this happens only for less than a second and I cannot read and say
what it contains.

After this, the PDF file is shown correctly and in the mini buffer I
find the suggestion C-c C-c 'to toggle between editing o viewing...'
and typing C-c C-c gives the text to edit, i.e. we toggle from view to
text mode.

On the contrary, loading a PS file shows it as a text and only after
C-c C-c, it is shown as document, i.e. we toggle from text to view
mode.

Why this different behaviour when loading PS files?

Another thing I observe is that, using the mouse wheel, one can only
scroll a single page of the document and not between a page to the
next. Is this to be expected?

On Cygwin I have found that the cache (a directory called
'docview1006') is stored in the Windows $TEMP (usually
/c/DOCUME~1/.../IMPOST~1/Temp) directory and not in the Cygwin /tmp
dir. But on Cygwin, should Emacs have the same behaviour as on linux?!
(many Cygwin applications store their files in /tmp and do not know
Windows $TEMP!)

After closing the files (PDF/PS...), jusched.log is created in the
Windows $TEMP:

Fri Jan 04 23:45:48 2008 :: Either not a Win2000, XP platform or
Non-admin user or GetModuleFilename failed or Error Opening JavaUpdate
Keys.

I am using Emacs on Cygwin (XP) as Non-admin user: should we be
worried about jusched.log and what it contains?

one scroll horizontally? Otherwise the pictures appear truncated on
right margin (even maximizing the Emacs frame/window).

Cheers,
    Angelo.

* Re: Using DocView on Cygwin
@ 2008-01-05 18:01 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-01-05 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Angelo Graziosi <angelo.graziosi@alice.it> writes:

Hi Angelo,

> The first thing I note is that loading a PDF file, it appears a buffer
> suggesting something:
>
> 'q'...
> 'k'...

Just some keybindings you can use to stop conversion if it takes too
long.

> but this happens only for less than a second and I cannot read and say
> what it contains.

That's actually good, since it seems to be quite quick till you see the
first page.

> After this, the PDF file is shown correctly and in the mini buffer I
> find the suggestion C-c C-c 'to toggle between editing o viewing...'
> and typing C-c C-c gives the text to edit, i.e. we toggle from view to
> text mode.
>
> On the contrary, loading a PS file shows it as a text and only after
> C-c C-c, it is shown as document, i.e. we toggle from text to view
> mode.
>
> Why this different behaviour when loading PS files?

Because PostScript is a real programming language where actually many
people want to edit the code.

> Another thing I observe is that, using the mouse wheel, one can only
> scroll a single page of the document and not between a page to the
> next. Is this to be expected?

Yes.  This might change in future versions.

> On Cygwin I have found that the cache (a directory called
> 'docview1006') is stored in the Windows $TEMP (usually
> /c/DOCUME~1/.../IMPOST~1/Temp) directory and not in the Cygwin /tmp
> dir. But on Cygwin, should Emacs have the same behaviour as on linux?!
> (many Cygwin applications store their files in /tmp and do not know
> Windows $TEMP!)
>
> After closing the files (PDF/PS...), jusched.log is created in the
> Windows $TEMP:

> Fri Jan 04 23:45:48 2008 :: Either not a Win2000, XP platform or
> Non-admin user or GetModuleFilename failed or Error Opening JavaUpdate
> Keys.

> I am using Emacs on Cygwin (XP) as Non-admin user: should we be
> worried about jusched.log and what it contains?

Oh, I neither use Windows nor Cygwin, so I don't have an idea.

> one scroll horizontally?

With image-mode you can scroll in all directions with the arrow keys.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Using DocView on Cygwin
@ 2008-01-05 22:04 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2008-01-05 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Tassilo Horn wrote:

 > With image-mode you can scroll in all directions with the arrow
 > keys.

It does not work! For example

C-x C-f foo.jpg

I can see the part of image in the Emacs frame (window). The mode line
says "Image[jpeg]" (the same if M-x image-mode).

If I now use the four arrow keys I got only the Emacs beep and not the
scrolling.

I can only scroll vertically with mouse wheel or PgUp, PgDown keys.

If I maximize Emacs frame, I can see a greater part of the image but
not all and the scroll with arrow keys still does not work!

So, or I am wrong in doing something or we (at least me) have a
problem with Emacs.

Cheers,
    Angelo.

---
http://www.webalice.it/angelo.graziosi

.
                      Oh Capitano, mio capitano!

* Scrolling in image-mode (was: Using DocView on Cygwin)
@ 2008-01-05 23:34 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-01-05 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Angelo Graziosi <angelo.graziosi@alice.it> writes:

Hi Angelo,

> I can see the part of image in the Emacs frame (window). The mode line
> says "Image[jpeg]" (the same if M-x image-mode).
>
> If I now use the four arrow keys I got only the Emacs beep and not the
> scrolling.

I think the image-scrolling is pretty new, so it depends on the emacs
version you use.

Bye,
Tassilo

BTW: Please adjust the subject when switching topics.