all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs
@ 2003-11-04  4:38 adsf afff
From: adsf afff @ 2003-11-04  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

 I have this problem when I issue the command emacs

$ emacs prog/tnd.pl
Warning: Cannot convert string
"-*-courier-medium-r-*-*-*-120-
*-*-*-*-iso8859-*" to type FontStruct
Warning: Cannot convert string
"-*-helvetica-medium-r-*--*-120
-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1" to type FontStruct

emacs window opens up and the letters are all
converted to squares. that is all what I can see.
squares.

#emacs -font fixed
will open emacs and can read but not fixed the problem
since #emacs still shows boxs.

# xlsfonts
lists a long list of founts

$ xlsfonts | grep helvetica
$ xlsfonts | grep courier
$
nothing on both above commands

do I need to install more fonts or can I use one of
the listed founts in xlsfonts?
or how can I fix this problem?

thanks

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree

* emacs
@ 2005-09-09 19:52 Sullivand945
From: Sullivand945 @ 2005-09-09 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

iv tried to read all i have on emacs and i dont understand it

plz plzplz can u help me

plz can u send this e-mail bk to _davidsullivan92@hotmail.com_
(mailto:davidsullivan92@hotmail.com)

your regards DaVe

* Re: emacs
@ 2005-09-10  2:07 ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2005-09-10  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sullivand945@aol.com writes:

   iv tried to read all i have on emacs and i dont understand it
   plz plzplz can u help me

If you have emacs on your system and can start it,
start it, and then press the <Ctrl> key and the 'h'
key at the same time, then, press the 't' key. Read
that Dave.
--
Sean Sieger

* emacs
@ 2005-11-23 21:34 tvtel24933
From: tvtel24933 @ 2005-11-23 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I've just installed emacs in my "Caixa mágica" (linux) and I don't know how to
launch it. I've tried in the terminal type "emacs" but it tells that emacs is
not a command. Can you help me?

Thanks,
Francisco Falcão e Cunha

* Re: emacs
       [not found] <mailman.16503.1132781656.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-11-23 21:46 ` Martin Klaffenboeck
From: Martin Klaffenboeck @ 2005-11-23 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Wed, 23 Nov 2005 21:34:06 +0000 schrieb tvtel24933:

> Hi,
>
> I've just installed emacs in my "Caixa mágica" (linux) and I don't know how to
> launch it. I've tried in the terminal type "emacs" but it tells that emacs is
> not a command. Can you help me?

If you have a bash, so type the emacs and the tab for auto completition,
maybe twice if there are more possibilities.  on some systems you have to
use emacs-xx.x.xx where the x is the versions number.

Martin

* Re: emacs
@ 2005-11-23 22:04 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-11-23 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 23.11.2005 um 22:34 schrieb tvtel24933@tvtel.pt:

> I've just installed emacs in my "Caixa mágica" (linux) and I don't
> know how to
> launch it. I've tried in the terminal type "emacs" but it tells that
> emacs is
> not a command. Can you help me?

When you're working with csh or tcsh, you need a rehash in terminal.

If the emacs binary (programme) still is not found on the command line,
you have to determine where it has been installed and then add the path
to this directory to either the path (csh, tcsh) or the PATH (sh, bash,
ksh) environment variables.

Or create an alias that points to the programme!

--
Greetings

   Pete

"They're putting dimes in the hole in my head to see the change in me."

@ 2005-11-23 22:29 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2005-11-23 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

tvtel24933@tvtel.pt writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've just installed emacs in my "Caixa mágica" (linux) and I don't know how to
> launch it. I've tried in the terminal type "emacs" but it tells that emacs is
> not a command. Can you help me?

If you have installed it yourself, you must know where it's installed.
Usually, it's /usr/bin/emacs, or /usr/local/bin/emacs, but it can be
anything you specified when installing it (it could be in your home
directory, or in /opt, ...).

If the standard programs locate and updatedb have been installed on
your linux system, then you can locate it with the command:

locate emacs

When you type a command  in the terminal which is not an absolute or a
relative path, the shell searches it in directories listed in the
environment variable PATH.  You can check them with:

echo $PATH

If the path where the emacs command is, is not listed in the PATH
variable, you'll have to add it.  If locate emacs outputs:

/the/path/where/there/is/emacs

then type:

PATH=/the/path/where/there/is:$PATH

To make this change permanent, modify the startup file of your shell.

If you use bash, edit ~/.bashrc, and add in it:

PATH=/the/path/where/there/is:$PATH
export PATH

Cats meow out of angst
"Thumbs! If only we had thumbs!
We could break so much!"

* emacs
@ 2006-05-10 15:37 Saady Abd-Elfattah
From: Saady Abd-Elfattah @ 2006-05-10 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Prior to migrating to a new domain, our users had the ability to select a
file, then right click, selecting the open with command, then choosing the
program GNU Emacs as an option.  After migration when trying to open
software with the open with function does not work, nor is the program
option there to be selected anymore, so you would actually have to browse
for the program executable.  Emacs is available for download at
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/ , the package we are using is 21.3.  To
use the program, you download the program folder and an _emacs file, the
program folder goes into Program Files, and the _emacs file goes to C:\.
So this program is not installed with an installatin package and does not
write to the registry.    My question would be what registry
permissions/edits do I need to change to allow for emacs to be a
selectable program.

* Re: emacs
       [not found] <mailman.1662.1147294399.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-05-11 22:29 ` ajones1
From: ajones1 @ 2006-05-11 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

You can fix this by selecting "open with"->"choose program", then
navigating to your emacs executable and select that. From there on out
it should appear in the "open with" dialog as normal.

* Re: emacs
@ 2006-05-11 22:53   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-05-11 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

ajones1@gmail.com wrote:
> You can fix this by selecting "open with"->"choose program", then
> navigating to your emacs executable and select that. From there on out
> it should appear in the "open with" dialog as normal.

Or rather maybe GnuClient (or EmacsClient). See
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/GnuClient

* emacs
@ 2006-12-21 14:46 peter moueza
From: peter moueza @ 2006-12-21 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Congratulations for the wonderfull custumisable Emacs.
Iown suse 10.1
I can't find answers  about :

1) when I open  emacs.Then Ctl-X Ctl-X myfile.cpp
Even if under Options, syntax Highlighting is pressed, no colors on my cpp
code.
I have to depress and repress this option for it go color my code.
So, how can I do for it to go right directly

2)We can split  the window in pressing Ctl-X 2 or 3
But  is there a way from the call emacs in the console: I want  the window
to be opened, split in : file1.cpp at left side , and file2.cpp at right
one.

3)It would be very good to enable indentation of a whole pascal file

Thanks.

* Re: emacs
@ 2006-12-23 20:14 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-12-23 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

What Emacs version are you using?

Please read the Bugs section in the Emacs manual, which provides
guidelines on how to write a bug report to give us the
necessary information so we can fix the bug.

* Re: emacs
@ 2006-12-29  2:38 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-12-29  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

peter moueza wrote:

> 2)We can split  the window in pressing Ctl-X 2 or 3
> But  is there a way from the call emacs in the console: I want  the
> window to be opened, split in : file1.cpp at left side , and file2.cpp
> at right one.

# top and bottom:
emacs file1.cpp file2.cpp

# left and right:
emacs \
	--file file1.cpp \
	--funcall split-window-horizontally \
	--funcall other-window \
	--file file2.cpp

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Emacs
@ 2007-08-07  3:15 ` brianjiang
From: brianjiang @ 2007-08-07  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

My Emacs always get stuck every time I click the "print" button at the
toolbar by accident. It will not response the input any more after then
and C-g cannot break it. And then I have to kill it using Task Manager
(I use Emacs in Window XP).

What is the problem? How can I avoid it? Thanks.

Regards,
Brian

* RE: Emacs
@ 2007-08-07  6:28   ` Herbert Euler
From: Herbert Euler @ 2007-08-07  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brianjiang, help-gnu-emacs

>How can I avoid it? Thanks.

Perhaps you can avoid it by removing the print button:

(delete-if (lambda (button)
	     (and (consp button)
		  (eq (car button) 'print-buffer)))
	   tool-bar-map)

Regards,
Guanpeng Xu

* RE: Emacs
@ 2007-08-07  8:38     ` brianjiang
From: brianjiang @ 2007-08-07  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: herberteuler, help-gnu-emacs

Good. Thanks.

@ 2007-08-07 21:05   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-08-07 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 11:15:33 +0800
> From: <brianjiang@gdnt.com.cn>
>
> My Emacs always get stuck every time I click the "print" button at the
> toolbar by accident. It will not response the input any more after then
> and C-g cannot break it. And then I have to kill it using Task Manager
> (I use Emacs in Window XP).

What does the following command display in the echo area?

     M-: printer-name RET

And what version of Emacs is that?

* RE: Emacs
@ 2007-08-08  2:48     ` brianjiang
From: brianjiang @ 2007-08-08  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eliz, help-gnu-emacs

"M-: printer-name RET" displays "PRN". The version is "This is GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)"

I have never configured the printer for Emacs since I never try to use Emacs to print anything before. But in my computer, the printer has been setup and works well for other programs (and actually it doesn't need a separated printer setup for those programs. I just setup the printer in the system and then other programs can printe well. But it seems Emacs doesn't act in the same way.).

Regards,
Brian

@ 2007-08-08 18:26       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-08-08 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 10:48:32 +0800
> From: <brianjiang@gdnt.com.cn>
>
> "M-: printer-name RET" displays "PRN". The version is "This is GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)"
>
> I have never configured the printer for Emacs since I never try to use Emacs to print anything before. But in my computer, the printer has been setup and works well for other programs (and actually it doesn't need a separated printer setup for those programs. I just setup the printer in the system and then other programs can printe well. But it seems Emacs doesn't act in the same way.).

Then I suggest to download and install PrintFile
(http://www.lerup.com/printfile/), and then configure Emacs to use
that program as the printer driver.  Something like this (in your
~/.emacs file):

 (setq printer-name nil)
 (setq lpr-command "C:/Program Files/PrintFile/prfile32.exe")
 (setq lpr-switches '("/q"))
 (setq ps-lpr-command "C:/Program Files/PrintFile/prfile32.exe")
 (setq ps-lpr-switches '("/q"))

* RE: Emacs
@ 2007-08-09  1:18         ` brianjiang
From: brianjiang @ 2007-08-09  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eliz, help-gnu-emacs

Thanks. Will have a try later.

Regards,
Brian

@ 2007-12-16 11:43 shankarrg
From: shankarrg @ 2007-12-16 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

suppose i have made changes in the face properties of some of the text in a
text file  like suppose some letters in that file  are made bold ,some are
italic ,some are blue in color ,some are brown .Now how do save these
changes .ie Each time i open that corresponding file in emacs it should
display the text file with the changes i made ,ie in both color and face
propeties??

* Re: emacs
@ 2007-12-17 14:46 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-12-17 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: shankarrg; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 16.12.2007 um 12:43 schrieb shankarrg:

> suppose i have made changes in the face properties of some of the
> text in a
> text file

When you want to save that work then it's probably more useful to use
another editor. Or make a screen-shot. GNU Emacs is not meant for this.

--
Greetings

   Pete

The human animal differs from the lesser primates in his passion for
lists of "Ten Best."
				– H. Allen Smith

* Re: emacs
@ 2007-12-17 17:45 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2007-12-17 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: shnkarrg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > suppose i have made changes in the face properties of some of the text in a
 > text file  like suppose some letters in that file  are made bold ,some are
 > italic ,some are blue in color ,some are brown .Now how do save these
 > changes .ie Each time i open that corresponding file in emacs it should
 > display the text file with the changes i made ,ie in both color and face
 > propeties??

Please have a look at section 25.12 of the Emacs Lisp manual
entitled "Format Conversion".

* Re: emacs
       [not found] <mailman.5110.1197901728.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-12-17 18:19 ` Walker Pendleton
From: Walker Pendleton @ 2007-12-17 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 16 Dec 2007, shnkarrg@gmail.com wrote:
> suppose i have made changes in the face properties of some of the text in a
> text file  like suppose some letters in that file  are made bold ,some are
> italic ,some are blue in color ,some are brown .Now how do save these
> changes .ie Each time i open that corresponding file in emacs it should
> display the text file with the changes i made ,ie in both color and face
> propeties??

Try enriched-mode.

* Re: emacs
@ 2007-12-17 22:04 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-12-17 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

shankarrg <shnkarrg@gmail.com> writes:

> suppose i have made changes in the face properties of some of the text in a
> text file  like suppose some letters in that file  are made bold ,some are
> italic ,some are blue in color ,some are brown .Now how do save these
> changes .ie Each time i open that corresponding file in emacs it should
> display the text file with the changes i made ,ie in both color and face
> propeties??

When editing text files, you can turn enriched-mode on.

It will add some formatting (tags) to your file and let you put
emphasis, bold properties etc.  But I don't know if this mode is
useful outside Emacs, though.

--
Bastien

* Emacs
@ 2008-04-02 20:10 Ursina Maria Calmonte
From: Ursina Maria Calmonte @ 2008-04-02 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Hello
> I`ve a problem with the installation of emacs.
> Gives any emacs version for Windows Vista?

Ursina Calmonte

* Re: Emacs
       [not found] <mailman.9904.1207198714.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-04-03  6:06 ` Martin Fischer
From: Martin Fischer @ 2008-04-03  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/

--
parozusa at web dot de

@ 2008-04-04 17:22 ` Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo
From: Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo @ 2008-04-04 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ursina Maria Calmonte em gnu.emacs.help escreveu:

>> Hello
>> I`ve a problem with the installation of emacs.
>> Gives any emacs version for Windows Vista?

Perhaps you could sent more details of the problem.

* emacs
@ 2008-08-07  2:46 Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2008-08-07  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

GNU Emacs on Windows brought me to GNU/Linux.

... I don't remember the troll back then ...

I love GNU Emacs.

* emacs
@ 2018-05-15 20:20 Nathan A
From: Nathan A @ 2018-05-15 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

evil go to center when using G

(defun scroll-to-center-advice (&rest args)
  (evil-scroll-line-to-center (line-number-at-pos)))

(advice-add #'evil-goto-line :after #'scroll-to-center-advice)

* Re: emacs
@ 2018-05-15 20:21 ` Nathan A
From: Nathan A @ 2018-05-15 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Previous email was sent my mistake, sorry about that.