all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs on Windows XP -> Cygwin
@ 2007-11-12 20:19 Raimund Kohl-Füchsle
From: Raimund Kohl-Füchsle @ 2007-11-12 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

as mentioned recently I have a Thinkpad with Windows XP running.  I
installed emacs 22.x on it the way I read it someplace on the internet
... not under C.\Programme but under C.\emacs instead.  Works ... only
printing from within emacs does not work.  However, now I found out
there is Cygwin ... well, looks great so far.  Now here the question:
AFAIU Cygwin is "best choice" if one is wanting to have XP working
Linux.like plus having some Xnix tools too.  To enjoy Cygwin, am I to
deinstall emacs the way I have it now, then to install Cygwin and
reinstall emacs only this time as a Cygwin package?  Does this sound
reasonable?  I don't mind much installing/reinstalling ... as long as it
is the best way to have all things running greatly ... :-)

Thanx in advance

ray

* Re: Emacs on Windows XP -> Cygwin
@ 2007-11-12 21:01 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-11-12 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 21:19:08 +0100
> From: =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Raimund_Kohl-F=FCchsle?= <Raimund.Kohl@nabuli.de>
>
> To enjoy Cygwin, am I to deinstall emacs the way I have it now, then
> to install Cygwin and reinstall emacs only this time as a Cygwin
> package?

Yes.

* Re: Emacs on Windows XP -> Cygwin
       [not found] <mailman.3370.1194899193.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-11-13  1:09 ` Chris McMahan
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3405.1194927249.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Chris McMahan @ 2007-11-13  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I wouldn't recommend that. I am running Windows XP with Cygwin, and
I'm using the XP (w32) version of Emacs and the cygwin tools without
any problems.

The cygwin version of emacs is (AFAIK) an older version. To get
windowing support, you must run the Cygwin xserver.

You might look at an emacs installation that specializes in getting
emacs, cygwin and win32 talking together very nicely. It's the
EmacsW32 project

http://www.ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html

I would highly recommend you install this version. It's the easiest,
most painless way to get the latest Emacs working under XP.

- Chris

--
     (.   .)
  =ooO=(_)=Ooo=====================================

* RE: Emacs on Windows XP -> Cygwin
@ 2007-11-13  4:03 JunJie
From: JunJie @ 2007-11-13  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

You can install CYGWIN + emacs directly through CYGWIN
setup(http://www.cygwin.com/setup.exe).

No need to uninstall the emacs under C:\program....

Sent to you by JunJie via Google Reader: Emacs on Windows XP -> Cygwin
via Nabble - Emacs - Help by Raimund Kohl-Fuechsle on 11/12/07 Hello,

as mentioned recently I have a Thinkpad with Windows XP running. I
installed emacs 22.x on it the way I read it someplace on the internet
... not under C.\Programme but under C.\emacs instead. Works ... only
printing from within emacs does not work. However, now I found out
there is Cygwin ... well, looks great so far. Now here the question:
AFAIU Cygwin is "best choice" if one is wanting to have XP working
Linux.like plus having some Xnix tools too. To enjoy Cygwin, am I to
deinstall emacs the way I have it now, then to install Cygwin and
reinstall emacs only this time as a Cygwin package? Does this sound
reasonable? I don't mind much installing/reinstalling ... as long as it
is the best way to have all things running greatly ... :-)

Thanx in advance

ray

Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to Nabble - Emacs - Help using Google Reader
favorite sites

* Re: Emacs on Windows XP -> Cygwin
@ 2007-11-13  4:13   ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3405.1194927249.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-11-13  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Chris McMahan <first_initiallastname@one.dot.net>
> Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 20:09:38 -0500
>

> I wouldn't recommend that. I am running Windows XP with Cygwin, and
> I'm using the XP (w32) version of Emacs and the cygwin tools without
> any problems.

I wouldn't recommend doing what you do, unless the OP likes to
"tinker" with all kinds of Emacs options and optional packages, such
as cygwin-mount.  There are subtle incompatibilities between Cygwin
and native Windows programs (file-name conventions, console and pipe
I/O, text vs. binary I/O, signal delivery, etc.), so someone who's
used for things "to just work", like they do on GNU/Linux, is well
advised to limit him/herself to either only Cygwin programs or only
native Windows programs.

> The cygwin version of emacs is (AFAIK) an older version.

One can find a pointer to the latest one by searching the archives of
the Cygwin mailing list.

> To get windowing support, you must run the Cygwin xserver.

True, but where's the problem with that? an X server is available as
part of the Cygwin download.

* RE: Emacs on Windows XP -> Cygwin
@ 2007-11-13  9:14     ` Drew Adams
       [not found]       ` <mailman.3476.1194992785.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-11-13  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> > I wouldn't recommend that. I am running Windows XP with Cygwin, and
> > I'm using the XP (w32) version of Emacs and the cygwin tools without
> > any problems.
>
> I wouldn't recommend doing what you do, unless the OP likes to
> "tinker" with all kinds of Emacs options and optional packages, such
> as cygwin-mount.  There are subtle incompatibilities between Cygwin
> and native Windows programs (file-name conventions, console and pipe
> I/O, text vs. binary I/O, signal delivery, etc.), so someone who's
> used for things "to just work", like they do on GNU/Linux, is well
> advised to limit him/herself to either only Cygwin programs or only
> native Windows programs.
>
> > The cygwin version of emacs is (AFAIK) an older version.
>
> One can find a pointer to the latest one by searching the archives of
> the Cygwin mailing list.
>
> > To get windowing support, you must run the Cygwin xserver.
>
> True, but where's the problem with that? an X server is available as
> part of the Cygwin download.

Eli is an expert wrt Emacs and Windows. And Lennart's EmacsW32
(http://www.ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html) is a very nice turnkey
installer.

I'm not an expert on this, and I don't mean to contradict the experts, but
here is another data point for your consideration, FYI/FWIW - it is what I
do and have done for a long time:

- I use a vanilla Emacs binary for Windows - the 22.1 release from GNU. No
EmacsW32 installer - just unzip the file to a directory.

- I use vanilla Cygwin (on Windows XP). I don't use an Emacs built for
Cygwin.

- I load these two Lisp files from my .emacs:
  http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/cygwin-mount.el
  http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/setup-cygwin.el

This is the code I put in my .emacs to do that. It says "If on Windows and
can successfully load `cygwin-mount.el[c]', then load `setup-cygwin.el[c]."

(if (and (eq system-type 'windows-nt)
         (require 'cygwin-mount nil t))
    (require 'setup-cygwin))

That's all. I don't run an X server. I don't tinker with anything. I have
several versions of Emacs that I use on the same machine, from Emacs 20.7
through 22.1, and they are all vanilla binaries - I just put them in
different folders and use different shortcuts to run them. I prefer vanilla
binaries to EmacsW32 (for myself), because I don't want a customized version
of Emacs - I do my own customizing.

I haven't encountered any incompatibilities or problems. I don't claim there
are none, but I haven't encountered any in years of use. AFAICT, things
"just work".

Again, I'm not arguing that this is the way to go for anyone else, but it is
super easy, and it works for me. HTH. YMMV.

@ 2007-11-13 12:19     ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2007-11-13 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii schrieb:
>> From: Chris McMahan <first_initiallastname@one.dot.net>
>> Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 20:09:38 -0500
>>

>> I wouldn't recommend that. I am running Windows XP with Cygwin, and
>> I'm using the XP (w32) version of Emacs and the cygwin tools without
>> any problems.
>
> I wouldn't recommend doing what you do, unless the OP likes to
> "tinker" with all kinds of Emacs options and optional packages, such
> as cygwin-mount.  There are subtle incompatibilities between Cygwin
> and native Windows programs (file-name conventions, console and pipe
> I/O, text vs. binary I/O, signal delivery, etc.), so someone who's
> used for things "to just work", like they do on GNU/Linux, is well
> advised to limit him/herself to either only Cygwin programs or only
> native Windows programs.
>
>> The cygwin version of emacs is (AFAIK) an older version.
>
> One can find a pointer to the latest one by searching the archives of
> the Cygwin mailing list.
>
>> To get windowing support, you must run the Cygwin xserver.
>
> True, but where's the problem with that? an X server is available as
> part of the Cygwin download.

Is tramp running under cygwin without problems?
As far as I know the w32 emacs cannot run tramp successfully.

I do run emacsw32 without any problems and also use cygwin tools a lot.

rainer

* Re: Emacs on Windows XP -> Cygwin
@ 2007-11-13 14:31 JunJie
From: JunJie @ 2007-11-13 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am using rxvt + emacs under cygwin. Nice.

Sent to you by JunJie via Google Reader: Re: Emacs on Windows XP ->
Cygwin via Nabble - Emacs - Help by Eli Zaretskii on 11/12/07 > From:

@ 2007-11-13 21:59       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-11-13 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@diplan.de>
> Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 13:19:45 +0100
>
> As far as I know the w32 emacs cannot run tramp successfully.

If by "w32 emacs" you mean the native build, then it runs Tramp for me
just fine.

* Re: Emacs on Windows XP -> Cygwin
@ 2007-11-13 22:26       ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]       ` <mailman.3476.1194992785.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-11-13 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com>
> Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 01:14:01 -0800
>
> > I wouldn't recommend doing what you do, unless the OP likes to
> > "tinker" with all kinds of Emacs options and optional packages, such
> > as cygwin-mount.  There are subtle incompatibilities between Cygwin
> > and native Windows programs (file-name conventions, console and pipe
> > I/O, text vs. binary I/O, signal delivery, etc.), so someone who's
> > used for things "to just work", like they do on GNU/Linux, is well
> > advised to limit him/herself to either only Cygwin programs or only
> > native Windows programs.
>
> Eli is an expert wrt Emacs and Windows. And Lennart's EmacsW32
> (http://www.ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html) is a very nice turnkey
> installer.
>
> I'm not an expert on this, and I don't mean to contradict the experts,

I now realize that my opinion was worded too categorically: I failed
to qualify it by saying that the amount and probability of subtle
problems of the kind I mentioned depends on what one does with Emacs.
On the extreme, if all one does is edit files, then, of course, no
compatibility problems will ever be seen.

In general, I'd expect the amount of potential problems to go up with
usage of compilers, spell-checkers, mail agents, debuggers,
shell-mode, and other features where subprocesses interact with Emacs.

@ 2007-11-14  8:54         ` David Rod
From: David Rod @ 2007-11-14  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I use LENNART XP  version and cygwin.  fgrep has a problem with the
spaces in file-names.  Apart from that everything else seems to work
reliably, gnus, w3m.
Every so often it says tramp in the minibuffer
how do I find out whether tramp is working properly?

* Re: Emacs on Windows XP -> Cygwin
@ 2007-11-17 15:19           ` reader
       [not found]             ` <mailman.3715.1195314424.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: reader @ 2007-11-17 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Rod <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk> writes:

> I use LENNART XP  version and cygwin.  fgrep has a problem with the
> spaces in file-names.  Apart from that everything else seems to work
> reliably, gnus, w3m.
> Every so often it says tramp in the minibuffer
> how do I find out whether tramp is working properly?

What does ` LENNART XP  version' refer to?  (URL?)

* Re: Emacs on Windows XP -> Cygwin
@ 2007-11-17 15:46             ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found]             ` <mailman.3715.1195314424.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-11-17 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reader; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

reader@newsguy.com wrote:
> David Rod <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk> writes:
>
>> I use LENNART XP  version and cygwin.  fgrep has a problem with the
>> spaces in file-names.  Apart from that everything else seems to work
>> reliably, gnus, w3m.
>> Every so often it says tramp in the minibuffer
>> how do I find out whether tramp is working properly?
>

> What does ` LENNART XP  version' refer to?  (URL?)

I guess it is the patched version here:

   http://ourcomments.org/cgi-bin/emacsw32-dl-latest.pl

@ 2007-11-18 10:53               ` David Rod
From: David Rod @ 2007-11-18 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

yes
GNU Emacs 22.0.990.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-05-23 on LENNART-69DE564 (patched)