all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Fill paragraph in doc string and \\{somekeymap}
@ 2007-11-04 23:49 Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-11-04 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

Would it not be nice if \\[keymap] and \\{keymap} behaved as paragraph
breaks in doc strings?

* RE: Fill paragraph in doc string and \\{somekeymap}
@ 2007-11-05  0:55 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-11-05  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail), Emacs Devel

> Would it not be nice if \\[keymap] and \\{keymap} behaved as paragraph
> breaks in doc strings?

No, certainly not. I cannot imagine why that would be imposed. They should
have no effect on formatting (beyond what they do now).

There are other ways to insert a paragraph break. If you want a
syntax-independent way to do that in a doc string, that might be a
reasonable request, but, please, let's not combine paragraph syntax with
\\[...],\\{...}, or \\<...>.

* Re: Fill paragraph in doc string and \\{somekeymap}
@ 2007-11-05  1:15   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-11-05  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: Emacs Devel

Drew Adams wrote:
>> Would it not be nice if \\[keymap] and \\{keymap} behaved as paragraph
>> breaks in doc strings?
>
> No, certainly not. I cannot imagine why that would be imposed. They should
> have no effect on formatting (beyond what they do now).
>
> There are other ways to insert a paragraph break. If you want a
> syntax-independent way to do that in a doc string, that might be a
> reasonable request, but, please, let's not combine paragraph syntax with
> \\[...],\\{...}, or \\<...>.

I was mostly thinking of filling.

* RE: Fill paragraph in doc string and \\{somekeymap}
@ 2007-11-05  1:22     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-11-05  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: Emacs Devel

> >> Would it not be nice if \\[keymap] and \\{keymap} behaved as paragraph
> >> breaks in doc strings?
> >
> > No, certainly not. I cannot imagine why that would be imposed.
> They should
> > have no effect on formatting (beyond what they do now).
> >
> > There are other ways to insert a paragraph break. If you want a
> > syntax-independent way to do that in a doc string, that might be a
> > reasonable request, but, please, let's not combine paragraph syntax with
> > \\[...],\\{...}, or \\<...>.
>
> I was mostly thinking of filling.

Filling too should be separate from \\[...] etc. In my own uses of these,
for instance, I don't think there is one occurrence where I want to fill the
text of the current paragraph. Why assume that there is a connection between
these two things?

* Re: Fill paragraph in doc string and \\{somekeymap}
@ 2007-11-05  1:42       ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-11-05  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: Emacs Devel

Drew Adams wrote:
> Filling too should be separate from \\[...] etc. In my own uses of these,
> for instance, I don't think there is one occurrence where I want to fill the
> text of the current paragraph. Why assume that there is a connection between
> these two things?

If you have a docstring with something like this:

   par 1 bla blah bla
   \\{keymap}
   par 2 bla blah bla

Then I believe you should be able to fill both the first and the second
paragraph. Don't you?

BTW there is a second problem here to with formatting. There will be an
extra blank line before par 2.

* Re: Fill paragraph in doc string and \\{somekeymap}
@ 2007-11-05  1:47         ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-11-05  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: Emacs Devel

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
> Drew Adams wrote:
>> Filling too should be separate from \\[...] etc. In my own uses of these,
>> for instance, I don't think there is one occurrence where I want to
>> fill the
>> text of the current paragraph. Why assume that there is a connection
>> between
>> these two things?
>
> If you have a docstring with something like this:
>
>   par 1 bla blah bla
>   \\{keymap}
>   par 2 bla blah bla
>
> Then I believe you should be able to fill both the first and the second
> paragraph. Don't you?

A slight mistake, it should look like this:

    par 1 bla blah bla

    \\{keymap}
    par 2 bla blah bla

* RE: Fill paragraph in doc string and \\{somekeymap}
@ 2007-11-05  2:12           ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-11-05  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: Emacs Devel

> >> Filling too should be separate from \\[...] etc. In my own
> >> uses of these, for instance, I don't think there is one
> >> occurrence where I want to fill the text of the current
> >> paragraph. Why assume that there is a connection between
> >> these two things?
> >
> > If you have a docstring with something like this:
> >
> >   par 1 bla blah bla
> >
> >   \\{keymap}
> >   par 2 bla blah bla
> >
> > Then I believe you should be able to fill both the first and the second
> > paragraph. Don't you?

I believe you should be able to fill any paragraph you like.
And \\{keymap} and the others should not fill anything.
There is no necessary relation between the two things.

Maybe you are looking for a way to somehow indicate, in a doc string, that a
paragraph should be filled when the string is displayed. That is a request
that's not unreasonable. But that has nothing to do with \\{keymap}, which
should not impose filling.