Glen, if you're going to spend some time on newcomment please have a look at the below. I once asked Stefan but apparently he forgot. With emacs -Q customize `comment-style' to box or box-multi. In *scratch* insert (foo bar baz) set the region around bar and do `comment-region'. Gets you (foo ;; bar ;; baz) instead of (foo ;; bar ;; baz) Responsible is the (when block (unless ce (setq ce (comment-string-reverse cs)))) line in `comment-region-internal' which makes the subsequent (unless (or ce (eolp)) (insert "\n") (indent-according-to-mode)) fail. I proposed the attached patch.