all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Activating a function when a variable is set
@ 2007-10-25 21:21 ` Davis Herring
From: Davis Herring @ 2007-10-25 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinicius Jose Latorre; +Cc: GNU Emacs

> Does anybody know if there is a way to activate a function when a
> variable is set to t and also when the same variable is set to nil?

As in, react immediately to (setq trapped-variable t)?  No.  With custom
variables you can react to them being customized by giving them a :set
attribute.  But AFAIK there's no way to "detect" a change to a Lisp
variable.

Davis

shipping.

* Activating a function when a variable is set
@ 2007-10-25 21:52 Vinicius Jose Latorre
From: Vinicius Jose Latorre @ 2007-10-25 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU Emacs (devel)

@ 2007-10-26  1:33   ` Vinicius Jose Latorre
From: Vinicius Jose Latorre @ 2007-10-26  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: herring; +Cc: GNU Emacs

Davis Herring wrote:
>> Does anybody know if there is a way to activate a function when a
>> variable is set to t and also when the same variable is set to nil?
>>

> As in, react immediately to (setq trapped-variable t)?  No.  With custom
> variables you can react to them being customized by giving them a :set
> attribute.  But AFAIK there's no way to "detect" a change to a Lisp
> variable.

There is a way to react to (setq trapped-var t) by programming a minor
mode, like:

(defvar trapped-var nil)

(add-to-list 'minor-mode-alist '(trapped-var :eval (trapped-fun)))

(defun trapped-fun ()
   (message "trapped-var is t")
   " TRAP")

When the command (setq trapped-var t) is executed, the modeline will
show " TRAP" and the minibuffer will display "trapped-var is t".

When the command (setq trapped-var nil) is executed, the modeline will
not show " TRAP" but trapped-fun will not be invoked.

The question is if there is a way to react also when (setq trapped-var
nil) is executed.

* Re: Activating a function when a variable is set
@ 2007-10-26  9:45 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-10-26  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinicius Jose Latorre; +Cc: emacs-devel

    Does anybody know if there is a way to activate a function when a
    variable is set to t and also when the same variable is set to nil?

I don't want to change the architecture of Lisp that way.

I don't even like the fact that define-minor-modes defines minor
mode commands that do something other than set a variable.
It's not clean.