all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: ken <gebser@mousecar.com>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: additional functionality for html-helper-mode
Date: Tue, 23 May 2017 14:49:20 -0400	[thread overview]

On 05/22/2017 08:29 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> ken wrote:
>
>> There is some mode in emacs which can
>> selectively and flexibly "collapse" and
>> "expand" selected blocks of text; that is,
>> make it/them visible to the user or not
>> display them. It was a long time ago, but
>> I believe that was org-mode.
>>
>> Would it be possible to integrate that
>> functionality into html-helper-mode so that
>> chapters could be selectively collapsed or
>> expanded? For example, I might have:
> I use the built-in `html-mode' for my primitive
> or 90s-looking pages and as for editing I never
> had any problems or felt the need to do code
> fold, but some people who do HTML insist
> web-mode.el is much better and there code
> folding is available probably exactly as you
> describe it:
>
>      http://web-mode.org

Thanks for the suggestion, but I didn't want to have to learn a new
editor.  I tried html-mode years ago and didn't care for it. Moreover,,
I've been using html-helper-mode for decades and am not only quite
comfortable with it and don't want to become a newbie again, but I've
also made a lot of very helpful customizations and have written some
bits of fresh code which is dependent upon html-helper-mode.  So maybe
you understand that I'm just interested in additional functionality for
html-helper-mode.

Though it's off-topic, I would add that I use html-helper-mode to edit
quite sophisticated web pages which aren't '90s-looking at all, but
which incorporate web 2.0 features and CSS and columns, graphics, and
much more.  Of course I wouldn't write an entire CMS with
html-helper-mode, but then I wouldn't attempt it in any emacs mode; it
would be much more sensible to use Joomla, Wordpress or Drupal... and
probably, if at all feasible, one of the emacs modes designed
specifically to interface with  those.  But this is all a separate
conversation.