all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Attempting to build Emacs using VC8 (on WXP)
@ 2007-10-24  4:44 dhruva
From: dhruva @ 2007-10-24  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

Hi,
 I am attempting to build Emacs using VC8 (VS 2005). Some problems I
am hitting into are redefined functions like fcntl, utime, etc.. I was
wondering if we can rename our 'w32.c' specific implementations as
'sys_' (sys_fcntl) and use 'emacs/src/s/ms-w32.h' to redirect the
calls to Emacs implementation of those functions. In the earlier
versions of VC, thses functions were missing.
 Would this exercise be worthwhile?

-dky

--
Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Contents reflect my personal views only!

* Re: Attempting to build Emacs using VC8 (on WXP)
@ 2007-10-24  8:24 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2007-10-24  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dhruva; +Cc: Emacs Devel

dhruva wrote:
>  Would this exercise be worthwhile?

There's a compiler option to make msvc follow the standard and allow
library functions to be redefined. But there are other problems with
that compiler, and it is not worthwhile spending time supporting
non-Free software when Free software is readily available to take its place.