all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Frame in a window ?
@ 2007-10-15 15:48 Ganesh
From: Ganesh @ 2007-10-15 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I am an emacs novice and have been using it for the past 2-3 months.  I
usually use it in text-only terminal mode.  I recently installed speedbar
and started using it.  From what I read about speedbar, it runs is a
separate frame.  From speedbar's website : "When used in terminal mode, the
new frame appears the same size as the terminal."

My question is this : Is it possible to have a frame in a window so that I
have both the speedbar and the file that I editing visible ?  Alternately,
is it possible to run speedbar in a window instead of a frame ?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ganesh

* Re: Frame in a window ?
       [not found] <mailman.2085.1192463321.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-10-15 20:21 ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2007-10-15 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

[...]

> My question is this : Is it possible to have a frame in a window so that I
> have both the speedbar and the file that I editing visible ?  Alternately,
> is it possible to run speedbar in a window instead of a frame ?

Have you tried splitting the window and then switching to the speedbar
in the new window?

Joel
--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

* RE: Frame in a window ?
@ 2007-10-15 21:03   ` Ganesh
From: Ganesh @ 2007-10-15 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> > My question is this : Is it possible to have a frame in a window so
> that I
> > have both the speedbar and the file that I editing visible ?
> Alternately,
> > is it possible to run speedbar in a window instead of a frame ?
>
> Have you tried splitting the window and then switching to the speedbar
> in the new window?

Tried that.  That doesn't work.  If I switch to the speedbar after splitting
the window, it takes up the whole window.  And if I switch back to my
buffer, it gets back to the split window.

- Ganesh

* Re: Frame in a window ?
@ 2007-10-16 21:27 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2007-10-16 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> My question is this : Is it possible to have a frame in a window so that I
> have both the speedbar and the file that I editing visible ?  Alternately,
> is it possible to run speedbar in a window instead of a frame ?

No.  It would require substantial changes in the basic design philospohy
of speedbar.

* Re: Frame in a window ?
@ 2007-10-16 22:13     ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2007-10-16 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ganesh; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>> > My question is this : Is it possible to have a frame in a window so
>> that I
>> > have both the speedbar and the file that I editing visible ?
>> Alternately,
>> > is it possible to run speedbar in a window instead of a frame ?
>>
>> Have you tried splitting the window and then switching to the speedbar
>> in the new window?
>
> Tried that.  That doesn't work.  If I switch to the speedbar after splitting
> the window, it takes up the whole window.  And if I switch back to my
> buffer, it gets back to the split window.

Hmm, speedbar seems in the terminal always to be in a separate frame
on its own.  What seems to work however is to split the speedbar
(frame).  You're in speedbar and just type C-x 3.  Then you're able to
see the speedbar and can use the other window as well for other
buffers.

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm