all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Installation problem.
@ 2007-10-02 12:36 orjanam
From: orjanam @ 2007-10-02 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello, can you help me?
 I´m not able to install Emacs on my mac (ibook G4, with OS X v10.4. )
I downloaded the emacs-22.1, unpacked it and followed the instructions for
Mac OS X-installation. This is what happens:

klaus-wunderlichs-ibook-g4:~/desktop/emacs-22.1 klauswunderlich$
./configure --enable-carbon-app
checking build system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.10.0
checking host system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.10.0
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl.exe... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details.
klaus-wunderlichs-ibook-g4:~/desktop/emacs-22.1 klauswunderlich$
make-bash: make: command not found

What should i do?

Ørjan.

* Re: Installation problem.
@ 2007-10-02 14:47 ` Andrew Walrond
From: Andrew Walrond @ 2007-10-02 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: orjanam; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

orjanam@student.uio.no wrote:
> configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

> What should i do?

Sounds like you are a novice at this stuff if you don't understand the
above ;)

I'd suggest you use fink
	http://finkproject.org/

to do the heavy lifting for you.

Andrew

* Re: Installation problem.
@ 2007-10-02 15:10 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-10-02 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: orjanam; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 02.10.2007 um 14:36 schrieb orjanam:

> configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
> See `config.log' for more details.
> klaus-wunderlichs-ibook-g4:~/desktop/emacs-22.1 klauswunderlich$
> make-bash: make: command not found
>

> What should i do?

Become a developer at Apple (http://developer.apple.com/) and
download the latest Developer Tools (1 GB). After installation you'll
have two C compilers, a make programme, and much more.

--
Greetings

   Pete

discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny..."
                                       Isaac Asimov

* Re: Installation problem.
@ 2007-10-02 15:12   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-10-02 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Walrond; +Cc: emacs list, orjanam

Am 02.10.2007 um 16:47 schrieb Andrew Walrond:

> I'd suggest you use fink

Are you sure that Fink provides a binary package for GCC 3.3 or 4?

--
Greetings

   Pete

“One cannot live by television, video games, top ten CDs, and dumb
movies alone”
       (Amiri Baraka 1999)

* Re: Installation problem.
       [not found] <mailman.1600.1191334700.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-10-02 20:17 ` Warren Oates
From: Warren Oates @ 2007-10-02 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.1600.1191334700.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 orjanam@student.uio.no wrote:

> Hello, can you help me?
>  I´m not able to install Emacs on my mac (ibook G4, with OS X v10.4. )
> I downloaded the emacs-22.1, unpacked it and followed the instructions for
> Mac OS X-installation. This is what happens:
>

> klaus-wunderlichs-ibook-g4:~/desktop/emacs-22.1 klauswunderlich$
> ./configure --enable-carbon-app
> checking build system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.10.0
> checking host system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.10.0
> checking for gcc... no
> checking for cc... no
> checking for cl.exe... no
> configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
> See `config.log' for more details.
> klaus-wunderlichs-ibook-g4:~/desktop/emacs-22.1 klauswunderlich$
> make-bash: make: command not found
>

> What should i do?

You don't have a compiler.

Despite what someone said, you don't really need fink, you could use
Rudix:

http://rudix.org/

which only has the packages you might want.

But really, the problem is that the Developer Tools aren't installed.
Put the install disk back in the slot and install them. You don't need
to join anything at Apple, all the tools you need are there, but good
luck figuring out the dependencies. Good luck with Emacs as well. It
builds fine, though, once you have your tools.
--
W. Oates

* Re: Installation problem.
@ 2007-10-02 23:01 ` trajan
From: trajan @ 2007-10-02 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: orjanam; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Do you have X code installed on your iBook?  Do you have the GCC
(not to be redundant) compiler installed, either v3.3 or 4.0?

trajan

On 2 Oct 2007, at 08:36 , orjanam@student.uio.no wrote:

> Hello, can you help me?
>  I´m not able to install Emacs on my mac (ibook G4, with OS X v10.4. )
> I downloaded the emacs-22.1, unpacked it and followed the
> instructions for
> Mac OS X-installation. This is what happens:
>

> klaus-wunderlichs-ibook-g4:~/desktop/emacs-22.1 klauswunderlich$
> ./configure --enable-carbon-app
> checking build system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.10.0
> checking host system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.10.0
> checking for gcc... no
> checking for cc... no
> checking for cl.exe... no
> configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
> See `config.log' for more details.
> klaus-wunderlichs-ibook-g4:~/desktop/emacs-22.1 klauswunderlich$
> make-bash: make: command not found
>

> What should i do?
>

> Ørjan.

* Re: Installation problem.
@ 2007-10-03  7:09     ` Andrew Walrond
From: Andrew Walrond @ 2007-10-03  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: emacs list, orjanam

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Are you sure that Fink provides a binary package for GCC 3.3 or 4?

No idea, but I actually meant using fink to install emacs.
I recently had to get my linux code working on the mac and used fink to
get everything I needed installed, including a recent emacs. It was a
breeze.

* Re: Installation problem.
@ 2007-10-03 10:01       ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]         ` <mailman.1669.1191409251.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-10-03 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Walrond; +Cc: emacs list, orjanam

Am 03.10.2007 um 09:09 schrieb Andrew Walrond:

> No idea, but I actually meant using fink to install emacs.

Without the Developer Tools installed, Fink won't install GNU Emacs –
except a binary package exists for GNU Emacs. Most Fink packages are
source, so you need compilers (C, C++, Fortran, Java, ...) to install
them.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but
they've always worked for me."
                                           -- Hunter S. Thompson

* Re: Installation problem.
@ 2007-10-03 11:03         ` Andrew Walrond
       [not found]         ` <mailman.1669.1191409251.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andrew Walrond @ 2007-10-03 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: emacs list, orjanam

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Without the Developer Tools installed, Fink won't install GNU Emacs –
> except a binary package exists for GNU Emacs. Most Fink packages are
> source, so you need compilers (C, C++, Fortran, Java, ...) to install them.

You are of course correct. I had forgotten about having to download and
install the Developer Tools first.

Andrew

* Re: Installation problem.
       [not found]         ` <mailman.1669.1191409251.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-10-04  0:44           ` Mark Hood
From: Mark Hood @ 2007-10-04  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andrew Walrond <andrew@walrond.org> writes:
> Peter Dyballa wrote:
> >
> > Without the Developer Tools installed, Fink won't install GNU Emacs
> > except a binary package exists for GNU Emacs. Most Fink packages are
> > source, so you need compilers (C, C++, Fortran, Java, ...) to install them.
> >

> You are of course correct. I had forgotten about having to download and
> install the Developer Tools first.

I'm new to Mac OS X... is fink worth looking at?

I needed an Emacs and found http://www.porkrind.org/emacs which has
precompiled binaries for something called Carbon Emacs, and it works
just like the Emacs I've always known and loved without any need to
build anything.

-- Mark

* Re: Installation problem.
@ 2007-10-04  2:22             ` Warren Oates
       [not found]               ` <mailman.1691.1191487780.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Warren Oates @ 2007-10-04  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <ygf7im3n1yc.fsf@invalid.invalid>,
 Mark Hood <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> I'm new to Mac OS X... is fink worth looking at?
>
> I needed an Emacs and found http://www.porkrind.org/emacs which has
> precompiled binaries for something called Carbon Emacs, and it works
> just like the Emacs I've always known and loved without any need to
> build anything.

That's a good way to get Emacs for OS X, the builds are reasonably
up-to-date. If you have the developer tools, though, you can build your
own, one for the Terminal, one for the GUI (the Carbon Emacs), and you
can be totally up-to-date. Some people don't care about that, some do.

I've got 23.0.50 running here, Carbon and CLI, from CVS, with OS X
10.4.10.  I don't use fink, I keep my own /usr/local going; I've got
some pretty weird stuff in there. You might also look at Rudix:

http://rudix.org/

there's a version of Xemacs there (in updates), plus they patch and
build some of the stuff that's difficult with Darwin (gmp and Lua come
to mind). Surprisingly, some stuff you'd think you might have trouble
with builds fast and clean (Apache 2, PHP 5). Sorry for the OT.
--
W. Oates

* Re: Installation problem.
@ 2007-10-04  8:49               ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]               ` <mailman.1691.1191487780.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-10-04  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Oates; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 04.10.2007 um 04:22 schrieb Warren Oates:

> That's a good way to get Emacs for OS X, the builds are reasonably
> up-to-date. If you have the developer tools, though, you can build
> your
> own, one for the Terminal, one for the GUI

There is no sense in doing so! The Carbon Emacsen can be run in
Terminal without window: /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs
-nw. Only the Cocoa or GNUSTEP Emacs.app, http://emacs-on-
aqua.sourceforge.net/, coming from the NeXT, has a limitation which
keeps it from launching without window in Terminal.

http://macwiki.sourceforge.jp/emacs/test/ (http://
irodori.sakura.ne.jp/carbon-emacs/index.en.xhtml for Panther) offers
a GNU Emacs 22.1.50 based Carbon Emacs with a lot of extra software
integrated into its application bundle, for example Aspell, eMail
clients, additional major modes.

--
Greetings

   Pete

If my theory of relativity is proven successful, Germany will claim
me as a German, and France will declare that I am a citizen of the
world. Should my theory prove untrue, France will say that I am a
German, and Germany will declare that I am a Jew.
                                                 -- Albert Einstein,
1929

* Re: Installation problem.
       [not found]               ` <mailman.1691.1191487780.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-10-04  9:40                 ` Warren Oates
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.1696.1191494292.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Warren Oates @ 2007-10-04  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.1691.1191487780.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:

> There is no sense in doing so! The Carbon Emacsen can be run in
> Terminal without window: /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs
> -nw.[...]

This is of course true. I'm a suspenders and a belt kind of guy, though,
and I like putting cli stuff in /usr/local, and GUI stuff in
/Applications; separation of church and state and all that.

> http://macwiki.sourceforge.jp/emacs/test/ (http://
> irodori.sakura.ne.jp/carbon-emacs/index.en.xhtml for Panther) offers
> a GNU Emacs 22.1.50 based Carbon Emacs with a lot of extra software
> integrated into its application bundle, for example Aspell, eMail
> clients, additional major modes.

I like to tinker with it myself (I mean, it's emacs, it's a lifestyle,
even for lazy sods like me). I have aspell, and all the major modes that
I might use.
--
W. Oates

* Re: Installation problem.
@ 2007-10-04 10:38                   ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.1696.1191494292.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-10-04 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Oates; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 04.10.2007 um 11:40 schrieb Warren Oates:

>> There is no sense in doing so! The Carbon Emacsen can be run in
>> Terminal without window: /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs
>> -nw.[...]
>
> This is of course true. I'm a suspenders and a belt kind of guy,
> though,
> and I like putting cli stuff in /usr/local, and GUI stuff in
> /Applications; separation of church and state and all that.

Are you expressing that you create in addition to the Carbon GUI one
other 80 MB installation with a non-windowing GNU Emacs? Like Apple
is putting into /usr/bin and /usr/share/emacs, but solely?

--
Greetings

   Pete

You can learn many things from children.  How much patience you have,
for instance.
                 -- Franklin P. Jones

* Re: Installation problem.
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.1696.1191494292.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-10-04 10:58                     ` Warren Oates
From: Warren Oates @ 2007-10-04 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.1696.1191494292.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:

> Are you expressing that you create in addition to the Carbon GUI one
> other 80 MB installation with a non-windowing GNU Emacs? Like Apple
> is putting into /usr/bin and /usr/share/emacs, but solely?

It's hardly 80 megs. More like 9. I have lots of space and very tasty
Mac Pro ... horse for courses and other sayings come to mind.
--
W. Oates

* Re: Installation problem.
@ 2007-10-04 15:12             ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-10-04 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs list

Am 04.10.2007 um 02:44 schrieb Mark Hood:

> I'm new to Mac OS X... is fink worth looking at?

Yes. Only bear in mind that it's based on debian package management.
So it can happen that, when you want to install one little software,
you'd need to install ten big softwares. A way out is to create a
"local" package from a Fink specification (<software>.info) and
remove some dependencies or configure options.

> I needed an Emacs and found http://www.porkrind.org/emacs which has
> precompiled binaries for something called Carbon Emacs, and it works
> just like the Emacs I've always known and loved without any need to
> build anything.

As mentioned before: http://emacs-on-aqua.sourceforge.net/, http://
macwiki.sourceforge.jp/emacs/test/, http://irodori.sakura.ne.jp/
carbon-emacs/index.en.xhtml for Panther, http://aquamacs.org/
download.shtml.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Isn't vi that text editor with two modes... one that beeps and one
that corrupts your file?" -- Dan Jacobson, on comp.os.linux.advocacy