all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Fullscreen text editor behavior
@ 2007-10-02 16:21 theongoingrealityshow
From: theongoingrealityshow @ 2007-10-02 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've been trying to get emacs to mimic the popular fullscreen text
editors like writeroom/darkroom etc. I found this

but it does not work well with longlines.el and it inserts hard line
breaks otherwise, can anyone recommend a way to get a 60 character
column of text down the center of my screen?

I coul djust use jdarkroom..but I'd like to see if I can do it in
emacs.

* Re: Fullscreen text editor behavior
@ 2007-10-02 21:22 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-10-02 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: theongoingrealityshow; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

theongoingrealityshow@gmail.com wrote:
> I've been trying to get emacs to mimic the popular fullscreen text
> editors like writeroom/darkroom etc. I found this
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1235260
>
> but it does not work well with longlines.el and it inserts hard line
> breaks otherwise, can anyone recommend a way to get a 60 character
> column of text down the center of my screen?
>
> I coul djust use jdarkroom..but I'd like to see if I can do it in
> emacs.

Have you tried longlines-mode and left-margin-width?

* Re: Fullscreen text editor behavior
@ 2007-10-06 17:21 ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2007-10-06 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: theongoingrealityshow; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

theongoingrealityshow@gmail.com writes:

> I've been trying to get emacs to mimic the popular fullscreen text
> editors like writeroom/darkroom etc. I found this
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1235260
>
> but it does not work well with longlines.el and it inserts hard line
> breaks otherwise, can anyone recommend a way to get a 60 character
> column of text down the center of my screen?

Nobody can argue about style and taste, but to be honest what you want
is not a minimalist way but grossly waste full, sorry that is my
opinion so far, if I'm missing something please explain it to me.

Well, I'd just use auto-fill-mode (the text is filled within 70 chars,
but this is customisable), type C-x 3 (and possible use follow-mode,
with the added advantage of having even more usable screen estate for
the same text).

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm