all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to link carbon framework to NS port?
@ 2009-07-22 15:12 Vebjorn Ljosa
From: Vebjorn Ljosa @ 2009-07-22 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I am working on a fullscreen patch for the NS port.  I would like to
use the SetSystemUIMode API to auto-hide the menu bar when in
"fullboth" mode.  That API, however, is part of the Carbon framework.
Two questions:

1. Will using the SetSystemUIMode work on GNUstep?

2. How do I modify the autoconf setup so that "-framework Carbon" is
passed to gcc when linking the NS port?

Thanks,
Vebjorn

* Re: How to link carbon framework to NS port?
@ 2009-07-23  6:53 ` Yavor Doganov
From: Yavor Doganov @ 2009-07-23  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Vebjorn Ljosa wrote:
> 1. Will using the SetSystemUIMode work on GNUstep?

No.  Nothing Carbon-related is implemented in GNUstep, and never will
be.  Think of GNUstep as free Cocoa + more (GNU extensions and support
for other platforms).

> 2. How do I modify the autoconf setup so that "-framework Carbon" is
> passed to gcc when linking the NS port?

That's easy, but I'm not sure if it is desirable.  See the
temacs${EXEEXT} rule in src/Makefile.in.  If Carbon is guaranteed to
be available on all Apple systems, you don't need any autoconf tests.

* Re: How to link carbon framework to NS port?
@ 2009-07-23  8:35 ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2009-07-23  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vebjorn Ljosa; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Jul 22, 2009, at 4:12 PM, Vebjorn Ljosa wrote:

> I am working on a fullscreen patch for the NS port.  I would like to
> use the SetSystemUIMode API to auto-hide the menu bar when in
> "fullboth" mode.  That API, however, is part of the Carbon framework.
> Two questions:
>
> 1. Will using the SetSystemUIMode work on GNUstep?
>
> 2. How do I modify the autoconf setup so that "-framework Carbon" is
> passed to gcc when linking the NS port?

I have a partial implementation of fullscreen mode (without direct use
of SetSystemUIMode) using the standard Cocoa (and perhaps NS) APIs
within NSView.

It works, but after switching back there are problems (redisplay
issues mainly) with the scroll bars.

It's in the Aquamacs master branch.

If you get it to work better (even with Carbon if need be) then that'd
be great.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: How to link carbon framework to NS port?
@ 2009-07-24 16:15   ` Adrian Robert
From: Adrian Robert @ 2009-07-24 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

David Reitter <david.reitter <at> gmail.com> writes:

> It works, but after switching back there are problems (redisplay
> issues mainly) with the scroll bars.
>
> It's in the Aquamacs master branch.
>
> If you get it to work better (even with Carbon if need be) then that'd
> be great.

I'd strongly prefer to avoid Carbon -- it would add to the resource
footprint on Mac systems and necessitate additional ifdef'd
implementations to work on GNUstep.  It places a heavier load on
maintainers both to track two implementations and to be familiar
with another API.

If the Aquamacs implementation is close to working let's try to get
that one polished up.

* Re: How to link carbon framework to NS port?
@ 2009-07-24 17:47     ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2009-07-24 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Robert; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Jul 24, 2009, at 5:15 PM, Adrian Robert wrote:

> I'd strongly prefer to avoid Carbon -- it would add to the resource
> footprint on Mac systems and necessitate additional ifdef'd
> implementations to work on GNUstep.  It places a heavier load on
> maintainers both to track two implementations and to be familiar
> with another API.

Agreed, absolutely.

> If the Aquamacs implementation is close to working let's try to get
> that one polished up.

OK, if someone wants to take a look:

The problem is that after switching back from fullscreen mode, the
scrollbar or some visual window area (width) variable seems "messed
up": it flickers whenever you scroll (using keys).  I haven't figured
it out and won't be able to work on this.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: How to link carbon framework to NS port?
@ 2009-07-29 16:56   ` Vebjorn Ljosa
From: Vebjorn Ljosa @ 2009-07-29 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Reitter; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 04:35, David Reitter<david.reitter@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a partial implementation of fullscreen mode (without direct use of
> SetSystemUIMode) using the standard Cocoa (and perhaps NS) APIs within
> NSView.

That's great!

> It works, but after switching back there are problems (redisplay issues
> mainly) with the scroll bars.

I tried out Aquamacs but couldn't immediately see any problems.  How
do you reproduce the bug?

@ 2009-07-30  8:25     ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2009-07-30  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vebjorn Ljosa; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Jul 29, 2009, at 6:56 PM, Vebjorn Ljosa wrote:

> I tried out Aquamacs but couldn't immediately see any problems.  How
> do you reproduce the bug?

Go into fullscreen mode, then out again.  Now scroll up/down and
you'll see the vertical scrollbar flicker (the buffer has to be large
enough of course).  At least it does that for me and some testers.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: How to link carbon framework to NS port?
@ 2009-07-30 12:15       ` Vebjorn Ljosa
From: Vebjorn Ljosa @ 2009-07-30 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Reitter; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 04:25, David Reitter<david.reitter@gmail.com> wrote:

> Go into fullscreen mode, then out again.  Now scroll up/down and you'll see
> the vertical scrollbar flicker (the buffer has to be large enough of
> course).  At least it does that for me and some testers.

I can't reproduce it (Aquamacs 1.8c2 binary from website, Leopard), so
I'll go ahead and port your work to GNU Emacs.  I hope to be able to
make it work without changing frame.c, as I managed (except for one
line) when I did this in CarbonEmacs.

@ 2009-07-30 13:09         ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2009-07-30 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vebjorn Ljosa; +Cc: emacs-devel