all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to temporarily highlight/unhighlight a word under cursor?
@ 2007-08-14 22:44 Leo.Hou
From: Leo.Hou @ 2007-08-14 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

I am happy with the M-x highligh-phrase command except I need to
manually input the complete word every time.

I wonder if it is possible to create a macro or function in the .emacs
file and assign a shortcut to it to automatically highlight the
current word under cursor to the default "hi-yellow" color.

Similarly I hope to have a key to unhighlight it.

Any tip will be great.

Thanks

Leo

* Re: how to temporarily highlight/unhighlight a word under cursor?
@ 2007-08-15 17:30 ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2007-08-15 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Leo.Hou" <leo.hou@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wonder if it is possible to create a macro or function in the .emacs
> file and assign a shortcut to it to automatically highlight the
> current word under cursor to the default "hi-yellow" color.

I did once.  It's available here:
http://nschum.de/src/emacs/highlight-symbol/

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Re: how to temporarily highlight/unhighlight a word under cursor?
@ 2007-08-15 17:56   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-08-15 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolaj Schumacher; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Nikolaj Schumacher wrote:
> "Leo.Hou" <leo.hou@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I wonder if it is possible to create a macro or function in the .emacs
>> file and assign a shortcut to it to automatically highlight the
>> current word under cursor to the default "hi-yellow" color.
>
> I did once.  It's available here:
> http://nschum.de/src/emacs/highlight-symbol/
>

> regards,
> Nikolaj Schumacher

Maybe this page also can help:

   http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SearchAtPoint

* Re: how to temporarily highlight/unhighlight a word under cursor?
@ 2007-08-17 12:47 ` Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2007-08-17 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I use ishl mode, which highlights additional search matches.
Then C-s C-w does what you want.