all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* latex files encoding
@ 2007-08-10  9:45 Alain Muls
From: Alain Muls @ 2007-08-10  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have numerous latex files I created using kile. The encoding is (I
think) sat to UTF-8 or UTF-16. Since I like auctex, reftex, etc I
decided to return to emacs, an editor I used until 2 years ago.

Now I have a problem with the encoding of these files. As an example,
the ë (e diacritic ?) is shown as ï. How can I get emacs to respect the
encoding of the files.

I also read something about a U in the command-line, that would indicate
UTF encoded file. I can see that in a compilation buffer, but I cannot
get that ina latex buffer.

Tx for any advise

[-- Attachment #2: alain.muls.vcf --]

begin:vcard
fn:Alain Muls
n:Muls;Alain
org:RMA;CISS
adr:;;Renaissance Avenue 30;Brussems;;1000;Belgium
email;internet:alain.muls@telenet.be
title:Prof
tel;work:+32.2.7376340
tel;cell:+32.477.675091
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
end:vcard

* Re: latex files encoding
       [not found] <mailman.4601.1186739710.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-08-10 10:33 ` Harald Hanche-Olsen
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen @ 2007-08-10 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

+ Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be>:

| I have numerous latex files I created using kile. The encoding is (I
| think) sat to UTF-8 or UTF-16. Since I like auctex, reftex, etc I
| decided to return to emacs, an editor I used until 2 years ago.
|
| Now I have a problem with the encoding of these files. As an example,
| the ë (e diacritic ?) is shown as ï. How can I get emacs to respect
| the encoding of the files.

The hard way:  Type C-x C-m c  and specify utf-8 for the coding
system, and immediately follow this by C-x C-f to find the file.

The easy way:  Put a comment on the first line of your latex files:
% -*- coding: utf-8; -*-

If you want the utf-8 encoding on every tex file you can do
something like

  (push '("[.]tex$" . utf-8) file-coding-system-alist)

(er, push is part of the cl package, so you need (require 'cl) first,
or rewrite to the equivalent non-cl elisp - which I admit I am too
lazy to figure out right now).

You can still override that with C-x C-m c if you encounter a
non-utf-8 latex file.

And finally, you can convert your utf-8 encoded tex files to latin-1
(if possible) by first reading them after using C-x C-m c utf-8 RET
and then changing the coding system using C-c C-m f and specifying
latin-1, whereupon you save the file.  (You'd better edit the
\usepackage[...]{inputenc} in the source file accordingly.)

  -- Bertrand Russell

* Re: latex files encoding
@ 2007-08-10 16:03   ` Emilio Lopes
From: Emilio Lopes @ 2007-08-10 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Harald Hanche-Olsen writes:

>   (push '("[.]tex$" . utf-8) file-coding-system-alist)

> (er, push is part of the cl package, so you need (require 'cl) first,
> or rewrite to the equivalent non-cl elisp - which I admit I am too
> lazy to figure out right now).

It is called `add-to-list' and has the additional advantage of being
idempotent: it will not add a value to the list if it's already
there.  This is a plus when you reload your init-files e.g.

Note that the order of the arguments is different compared to `push'
and that the list variable must be quoted:

     (add-to-list 'file-coding-system-alist '("[.]tex$" . utf-8))

--
Emílio C. Lopes                            Ich leb und weiß nit wie lang,
Munich, Germany                            ich stirb und weiß nit wann,

@ 2007-08-10 17:51 ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2007-08-10 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Alain Muls (2007-08-10) writes:

> I have numerous latex files I created using kile. The encoding is (I
> think) sat to UTF-8 or UTF-16. Since I like auctex, reftex, etc I
> decided to return to emacs, an editor I used until 2 years ago.
>
> Now I have a problem with the encoding of these files. As an example,
> the ë (e diacritic ?) is shown as ï. How can I get emacs to respect the
> encoding of the files.

Which version of Emacs is that?

--
Ralf

* Re: latex files encoding
@ 2007-08-10 18:05   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-08-10 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Aug 10 2007, Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:

> + Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be>:
>
> | I have numerous latex files I created using kile. The encoding is (I
> | think) sat to UTF-8 or UTF-16.

Probably UTF-8.

> | Since I like auctex, reftex, etc I decided to return to emacs, an
> | editor I used until 2 years ago.
> |
> | Now I have a problem with the encoding of these files. As an example,
> | the ë (e diacritic ?) is shown as ï. How can I get emacs to respect
> | the encoding of the files.
>
> The hard way:  Type C-x C-m c  and specify utf-8 for the coding
> system, and immediately follow this by C-x C-f to find the file.
>
> The easy way:  Put a comment on the first line of your latex files:
> % -*- coding: utf-8; -*-

In Emacs 22, there is `latex-inputenc-coding-alist'.

,----[ <f1> v latex-inputenc-coding-alist RET ]

`----

>   (push '("[.]tex$" . utf-8) file-coding-system-alist)

(add-to-list 'file-coding-system-alist '("\\.tex\\'" . utf-8))

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)