To be clear - I'm not arguing against the inclusion of this. :-) Assuming the package maintainers know what they are doing, that'd be perfectly fine by me. > Not quite, the time stamp is appended to the regular version number. Well, normally there's no "regular version" when you're doing rolling releases. If there is - those would not be rolling releases, but snapshots between regular releases. I know that MELPA preserves the original version, but I think that doesn't make sense for a real rolling release. On Wed, Oct 26, 2022, at 9:30 AM, Philip Kaludercic wrote: > "Bozhidar Batsov" writes: > > > Instead of setting version numbers manually (e.g. 0.1, 0.2) upon > > release time, with rolling releases every change (commit) pushed > > upstream results automatically in a new release and a version bump, > > with the version being a timestamp. > > Not quite, the time stamp is appended to the regular version number. > > > E.g. if I push 3 commits one day > > with some time between them this will result in 3 releases. I think > > it's a great approach for snapshot (devel) repos, but I'm not so sure > > about "stable" repos, as it kinda of implies that the author will > > never have their project in an inconsistent state (e.g. halfway > > towards a new feature). > > Right, so it would only be used whenever a package author prefers that > method of development. > > > This approach was made popular by https://melpa.org/ > > > > On Tue, Oct 25, 2022, at 11:14 PM, Richard Stallman wrote: > >> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider ]]] > >> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies, ]]] > >> [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]] > >> > >> > I have heard from people who prefer a rolling release model for their > >> > packages, > >> > >> Can you explain what that means, concretely? How is t different from > >> what we do now? > > It is currently necessary to bump the version tag in the package header > to indicate that a release is to be made. If a package specification > has a non-nil :rolling-release tag, then this is done whenever the > repository is synchronised. > > >> and requested that their packages not be added for {Non,}GNU > >> > ELPA if they would have to update the version header manually, > >> > presumably on every commit. > >> > >> Is this something we would _want_ to do? What would its implications > >> be for Emacs? > > It wouldn't affect Emacs, just packages that request this kind of > release management. > > >> We might decide to support their style of release, or decide not to > >> include their packages in NonGNU ELPA, or we might come up with > >> another solution. I don't know what's best. But I'm sure we should > >> think about that before we decide. > > If the only issue a package has is that it is developed using a "rolling > release" model, it would be nonsensical for us to not accommodate the > request and reject a (perhaps popular) package on that ground. >