all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: emacs on X and screensize
@ 2007-05-19 12:43 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2007-05-19 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
> I'm kind of new to emacs and have tried lots of options. I can't find
> the solution to a simple question though.
>
> Everytime I start emacs (running Xorg) the program takes the total wide
> of the screen at startup. so everytime I have to resize the window to
> *my* preference. Most programs can save the window state. I would like
> this for emacs too. Is this possible from within the progam or do I need
> to call it in a special way from my windowmanager?

This form is from my .emacs. It makes the frame occupy about the bottom half
of the physical screen. You can experiment by changing any of the parameters
ad libitum:

(setq initial-frame-alist '((name . "arial") (top . 370) (left . 1) (width .
163) (height . 17)))

The width seems to be affected by what your default font is, especially
whether it is proportional or not.

Ed

* emacs on X and screensize
@ 2007-05-19 12:53 Dick Hoogendijk
From: Dick Hoogendijk @ 2007-05-19 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

--
Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ http://nagual.nl/ | Solaris 10 11/06 ++

* Re: emacs on X and screensize
@ 2007-05-19 13:51 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-05-19 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dick Hoogendijk; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 19.05.2007 um 14:53 schrieb Dick Hoogendijk:

> Everytime I start emacs (running Xorg) the program takes the total
> wide
> of the screen at startup. so everytime I have to resize the window to
> *my* preference. Most programs can save the window state. I would like
> this for emacs too.

You can set initial-frame-alist and default-frame-alist, you can put
some settings into ~/.Xdefaults (Emacs*geometry:   97x53+111+11), you
can pass arguments to GNU Emacs. Try in some terminal:

	emacs --help

--
Greetings

   Pete

Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped.
                                          - Groucho Marx