all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: occasional failure to rename
@ 2007-09-08 17:18 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2007-09-08 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: knubee; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 >> Can you make it fail reliably when you do Emacs -Q, open a directory,
 >> and try to rename a file before doing anything else?
 >
 > That worked fine.  (Part of the difficulty here it happens enough to
 > be significant, but not often enough that I notice the pattern of what
 > I did prior to the problem occurring.)

Weird.  Do you use wdired (aka "Edit File Names")?

You could customize `debug-on-error' to t on your system.  This would
give us a clue what caused the bug.

 >>> This does not happen all the time, but when it does the only solution
 >>> I have found is to close out of emacs and restart.
 >>
 >> Do you have to restart Emacs because it's unresponsive or because it's
 >> the only way to make renaming work?
 >
 > Because it is the only way to make renaming work. Everything else
 > continues to work just fine, as far as I can tell.

The next time this happens do

M-: (require 'dired-aux)

and retry (but post the contents of the *Backtrace* buffer here before).
You obviously could put

(require 'dired-aux)

directly in your .emacs, but this would deprive us of any opportunity to
further investigate the cause of this bug.

[parent not found: <mailman.552.1189323938.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
* Re: occasional failure to rename
@ 2007-09-09  7:46 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2007-09-09  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: knubee; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > > > Weird.  Do you use wdired (aka "Edit File Names")?
 > >
 > > Yes. As far as I can tell I have the latest version:  1.9.2pre3

Emacs 22.1 has version 2.0.  What are your Emacs version and operating
system?

 > > > The next time this happens do
 > > >
 > > > M-: (require 'dired-aux)
 > > >
 > > > and retry (but post the contents of the *Backtrace* buffer here before).
 > >
 > > Ok. thanks.
 >
 > t just happened again and I saw the problem. It occurs after I use
 > "r" to change a file name.

What command was "r" bound to when you typed it, was it
`wdired-change-to-wdired-mode'?  Please do C-h k r.

 > After that, emacs will throw an error if I
 > use "R" to change/move a file during the same session. This occurs
 > reliably.

Does

     M-: (require 'dired-aux)

work at least?

[parent not found: <mailman.532.1189271845.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
[parent not found: <mailman.498.1189248344.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
* Re: occasional failure to rename
@ 2007-09-08 10:46 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2007-09-08 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: knubee; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > Usually I am able to rename files in dired, but sometimes emacs throws
 > an error when I try to rename/move a file or directory:
 >
 >   dired-rename-file: Symbol's value as variable is void: dired-backup-
 > overwrite

We probably have to add an autoload for `dired-backup-overwrite'.

@ 2007-09-08  0:35 knubee
From: knubee @ 2007-09-08  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Usually I am able to rename files in dired, but sometimes emacs throws
an error when I try to rename/move a file or directory:

  dired-rename-file: Symbol's value as variable is void: dired-backup-
overwrite

This does not happen all the time, but when it does the only solution
I have found is to close out of emacs and restart.

A web/newsgroup search does not turn up anything. Anyone know a) what
could be causing this, and b) a less laborious way to resolve it if/
when it does occur?