all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs 22 and slrn
@ 2007-08-29 13:12 Will Parsons
From: Will Parsons @ 2007-08-29 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I use the slrn newsreader on Windows XP to read newsgroups and have
configured it to use Emacs for the editor to use when posting messages.
The following has been working fine in the slrn configuration file:

set editor_command "c:/emacs-21.3/bin/emacs +%d %s"

This causes a separate invocation of Emacs to be created (I usually have
another long-term Emacs session already started), and after closing out the
session returns to slrn where the message is posted.

Now I'm trying to transition to Emacs 22, but using:

set editor_command "c:/emacs-22.1/bin/emacs +%d %s"

doesn't work.  What happens is that an instance of Emacs is created but
hangs with an hourglass.  Ctrl-g has no effect, and I am forced to close it
forcefully from Windows.  I've looked thru the Emacs News for Emacs 22 but
don't see any obvious change in the startup to account for for this.  Any
ideas?

(Of course, a regular invocation of Emacs 22 outside of slrn works fine.)

Emacs version is:  22.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2007-06-02 on RELEASE

- Will

* Re: Emacs 22 and slrn
@ 2007-08-29 13:41 ` Chris McMahan
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5506.1188399958.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.5501.1188395376.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Chris McMahan @ 2007-08-29 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I would recommend you use either Gnuserv with Gnuclient, or
emacsclient to invoke the currently running instance of emacs instead.

I've been using gnuserv and gnuclientw for years with no problems
(albeit not with slrn), and it has "served" me well.

http://derekslager.com/blog/posts/2007/01/emacs-hack-2-manage-emacs-instances-with-gnuserv.ashx
http://www2.odn.ne.jp/piyokun/emacs/gnuserv.htm

- Chris

--
     (.   .)
  =ooO=(_)=Ooo=====================================

* Re: Emacs 22 and slrn
@ 2007-08-29 13:48 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found] ` <mailman.5501.1188395376.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-08-29 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: william.b.parsons; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Will Parsons wrote:
> I use the slrn newsreader on Windows XP to read newsgroups and have
> configured it to use Emacs for the editor to use when posting messages.
> The following has been working fine in the slrn configuration file:
>
> set editor_command "c:/emacs-21.3/bin/emacs +%d %s"
>
> This causes a separate invocation of Emacs to be created (I usually have
> another long-term Emacs session already started), and after closing out the
> session returns to slrn where the message is posted.
>
> Now I'm trying to transition to Emacs 22, but using:
>
> set editor_command "c:/emacs-22.1/bin/emacs +%d %s"
>
> doesn't work.  What happens is that an instance of Emacs is created but
> hangs with an hourglass.  Ctrl-g has no effect, and I am forced to close it
> forcefully from Windows.  I've looked thru the Emacs News for Emacs 22 but
> don't see any obvious change in the startup to account for for this.  Any
> ideas?

I have no answer to this, but why are you invoking a new instance of
Emacs instead of using Emacs client?

* Re: Emacs 22 and slrn
       [not found] ` <mailman.5501.1188395376.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-08-29 14:41   ` Will Parsons
From: Will Parsons @ 2007-08-29 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
> Will Parsons wrote:
>> I use the slrn newsreader on Windows XP to read newsgroups and have
>> configured it to use Emacs for the editor to use when posting messages.
>> The following has been working fine in the slrn configuration file:
>>
>> set editor_command "c:/emacs-21.3/bin/emacs +%d %s"
>>
>> This causes a separate invocation of Emacs to be created (I usually have
>> another long-term Emacs session already started), and after closing out the
>> session returns to slrn where the message is posted.
>>
>> Now I'm trying to transition to Emacs 22, but using:
>>
>> set editor_command "c:/emacs-22.1/bin/emacs +%d %s"
>>
>> doesn't work.  What happens is that an instance of Emacs is created but
>> hangs with an hourglass.  Ctrl-g has no effect, and I am forced to close it
>> forcefully from Windows.  I've looked thru the Emacs News for Emacs 22 but
>> don't see any obvious change in the startup to account for for this.  Any
>> ideas?
>
> I have no answer to this, but why are you invoking a new instance of
> Emacs instead of using Emacs client?

I've never felt the need for using emacsclient before - firing up an
instance of Emacs for the relatively few times I post to a newsgroup has
always worked fine for me.  But, since I've now been encouraged to use
emacsclient from two sources, I've given it a try and it seems to work fine.

- Will

* Re: Emacs 22 and slrn
@ 2007-08-29 15:05   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5506.1188399958.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-08-29 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Chris McMahan wrote:
> I would recommend you use either Gnuserv with Gnuclient, or
> emacsclient to invoke the currently running instance of emacs instead.
>
> I've been using gnuserv and gnuclientw for years with no problems
> (albeit not with slrn), and it has "served" me well.

Since Emacs 22 you do not need to use gnuclient/server on MS Windows any
more. Emacs client/server now works there too.

* Re: Emacs 22 and slrn
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5506.1188399958.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-08-29 17:27     ` Chris McMahan
From: Chris McMahan @ 2007-08-29 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks, I'm aware of that. I had some issues with emacsclient not
starting emacs if it wasn't running already, and with maxing out the
CPU at times, so I just reverted back to Gnuserv and Gnuclient.
Another advantage for me is the ability to pass in lisp code to
execute through the gnuclientw command line.

I may be completely wrong on the emacsclient capabilities, and would
love to see some configs on getting it to work well in a Windows XP
environment.

- Chris

@ 2007-08-29 18:21       ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-08-29 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Chris McMahan wrote:
> Thanks, I'm aware of that. I had some issues with emacsclient not
> starting emacs if it wasn't running already, and with maxing out the
> CPU at times, so I just reverted back to Gnuserv and Gnuclient.
> Another advantage for me is the ability to pass in lisp code to
> execute through the gnuclientw command line.
>
> I may be completely wrong on the emacsclient capabilities, and would
> love to see some configs on getting it to work well in a Windows XP
> environment.

No, you are not I once added that capability to gnuclient. I have also
added it to the emacsclient that comes with EmacsW32, but unfortunately
the emacsclient that comes with Emacs does not have this capability yet
(but I hope it will have it soon).