all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to avoid META-Key captured by windows instead of emacs itself
@ 2007-07-20  6:50 CFAN
From: CFAN @ 2007-07-20  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How to avoid META-Key captured by windows instead of emacs itself
I am a PC user and by defualt I like to use ALT key as the meta key
perform the various key-binding operations, but
when shift into Windows OS, the ALT key is captured by windows first
and then if the
key-binding is not defined in windows ,Alt-d for example ,it will pass
onto the emacs to process
,but if the  key are defined by windows itself,it will not delivery it
to the system,
Now, to avoid such situation,i need to to use ESC instead of alt key ,
its appears
ugly inconvinence,for it need to strok two key .

* Re: How to avoid META-Key captured by windows instead of emacs itself
@ 2007-07-20  8:00 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2007-07-20  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Usually (w32-register-hot-key [M-<key>]) will reclaim keys back from
windows. But the only Alt key that Windows grabs that I am aware of is
Alt-TAB, which is one of the exceptions that cannot be so easily
reclaimed.

* Re: How to avoid META-Key captured by windows instead of emacs itself
@ 2007-07-20 11:54 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-07-20 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CFAN; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

CFAN wrote:
> How to avoid META-Key captured by windows instead of emacs itself
> I am a PC user and by defualt I like to use ALT key as the meta key
> perform the various key-binding operations, but
> when shift into Windows OS, the ALT key is captured by windows first
> and then if the
> key-binding is not defined in windows ,Alt-d for example ,it will pass
> onto the emacs to process
> ,but if the  key are defined by windows itself,it will not delivery it
> to the system,
> Now, to avoid such situation,i need to to use ESC instead of alt key ,
> its appears
> ugly inconvinence,for it need to strok two key .

An alternative is to use the Windows right and left keys as Meta. This
however requires a patch to Emacs to work for all key combinations. See

  http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html