all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Non-default fonts in Emacs using Xft
@ 2007-06-30 13:28 Felix Eckhofer
From: Felix Eckhofer @ 2007-06-30 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi.

I've been playing a little with Emacs from the unicode-2 branch.
However I cannot get it to render non-default-sized fonts with
antialiasing, for examples headlines in auctex show up like this:
http://secundus.stunet.tu-freiberg.de/~felix/temp/screenshots/emacs-xft.png

Is there some sort of "global font parameter" I have not found? I tried
set-default-font and set-fontset-font as suggest on emacswiki.org but
nothing seems to help.

Thanks for any advice.

best regards
felix

--
felix_eckhofer  *  [fli4l-/eis-team]  *  ICQ#_59008162

"Ein Betriebssystem sie zu knechten, sie alle zu finden,
 ins Dunkle zu treiben und ewig zu binden..."

* Re: Non-default fonts in Emacs using Xft
@ 2007-06-30 15:17 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-06-30 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Eckhofer; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 30.06.2007 um 15:28 schrieb Felix Eckhofer:

> I've been playing a little with Emacs from the unicode-2 branch.
> However I cannot get it to render non-default-sized fonts with
> antialiasing, for examples headlines in auctex show up like this:
> http://secundus.stunet.tu-freiberg.de/~felix/temp/screenshots/emacs-
> xft.png

Are you sure that your GNU Emacs 23 was configured and compiled to
achieve font anti-aliasing? (Trying to report a bug you can retrieve
some information on this.)

> Is there some sort of "global font parameter" I have not found? I
> tried
> set-default-font and set-fontset-font as suggest on emacswiki.org but
> nothing seems to help.

I think there is none, except: on the command line you need to add --
enable-font-backend. You also need to prepare your system with
fontconfig. It uses (an) XML file(s) to mention all directories with
fonts, name substitutes, define standards ... When I try to launch
GNU Emacs 23 with activated font backend I get an error – I think
it's really time for a bug report!

BTW, you don't need to write your LaTeX documents in UTF-8 using
LaTeX's incomplete UTF-8 support. ISO 8859-9 would be sufficient:

	%% -*- mode: LaTeX; coding: iso-8859-15; -*-	either this header line
or the Local Variables section at the end
	\usepackage{ifpdf}
	\ifpdf
	   \immediate\write16{\jobname: Bonjour, PDF!}
	   \usepackage{cmap}
	   \usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx}
	%   \DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.png,.gif,.tif,.jpeg}	% what
about .svg ?
	   \usepackage[activate={true,nocompatibility}]{microtype}
	\else		% for non-pdfTeX
	   \immediate\write16{¡Hola \jobname: DVI!}
	%   \DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.eps,.ps}
	   \usepackage[dvips]{graphicx}
	   \usepackage[protrusion=true,expansion=false]{microtype}
	\fi
	\usepackage[ngerman]{babel}
	%\usepackage{lmodern}
	\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
	\usepackage[full]{textcomp}
	\usepackage[latin9]{inputenc}

	%%% Local Variables:
	%%% mode: LaTeX
	%%% coding: iso-8859-15
	%%% TeX-master: t
	%%% TeX-command-default: "possible script"
	%%% End:

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Das Militär ist eine Pflanze, die mensch sorgfältig pflegen muss,
damit sie keine Früchte trägt.
                                                  Jacques Tati

* Re: Non-default fonts in Emacs using Xft
@ 2007-06-30 15:41   ` Felix Eckhofer
From: Felix Eckhofer @ 2007-06-30 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi.

On Saturday, 30. June 2007 17:17, Peter Dyballa wrote:

>>http://secundus.stunet.tu-freiberg.de/~felix/temp/screenshots/emacs-xft.png
> Are you sure that your GNU Emacs 23 was configured and compiled to
> achieve font anti-aliasing? (Trying to report a bug you can retrieve
> some information on this.)

Yes, I am (--with-xft --enable-font-backend). Also, antialiasing seems
to work for everything *except* the non-default font (e.g.
AucTeX-headlines) - see screenshot.

> I think there is none, except: on the command line you need to add
> --enable-font-backend.

According to the docs this parameter is deprecated. Font-backend is now
enabled by default and can be disabled using --disable-font-backend.

> You also need to prepare your system with fontconfig.

I don't think this is the issue. fc-list shows 283 fonts and no other
application seems to have any problems.

regards
felix

--

@ 2007-06-30 16:41     ` Taylor Venable
From: Taylor Venable @ 2007-06-30 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Eckhofer; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Felix Eckhofer wrote:
>> I think there is none, except: on the command line you need to add
>> --enable-font-backend.
>
> According to the docs this parameter is deprecated. Font-backend is now
> enabled by default and can be disabled using --disable-font-backend.

Yes, I can vouch that this is the case.  But how do you specify the
font?  If you have not done so yet, try adding a line like this:

Emacs.font: DejaVu Sans Mono-10

To your .Xresources file, running "xrdb ~/.Xresources" from the
command-line, and restarting Emacs.

AUCTeX works for me as you would like, and I've not set any variables in
my .emacs especially to achieve this.

--
Taylor Venable
taylor@metasyntax.net

* Re: Non-default fonts in Emacs using Xft
@ 2007-06-30 17:34       ` Felix Eckhofer
From: Felix Eckhofer @ 2007-06-30 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi.

On Saturday, 30. June 2007 18:41, Taylor Venable wrote:
> But how do you specify the font?  If you have not done so yet, try
> adding a line like this:
>   Emacs.font: DejaVu Sans Mono-10
> To your .Xresources file

Thanks. I tried that already however this also seems to only change
the "default" font, not headlines and such.
I wonder if this might be an X11 configuration problem. Currently I'm
using default Ubuntu Feisty font-paths.
However, there really should be an option allowing me to globally change
the default font-face.

felix

--

@ 2007-06-30 17:56         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-06-30 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Eckhofer; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 30.06.2007 um 19:34 schrieb Felix Eckhofer:

> Thanks. I tried that already however this also seems to only change
> the "default" font, not headlines and such.

That's the desired behaviour: did you ever see some TeX output with
headers in the same style as the text, all serifs or all sans serifs?

If you want to change the look in GNU Emacs you can customise AUCTeX
– it has a great menu for this!

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

"Reisen bildet - vor allem Staus auf Autobahnen." (Michael Schiff)

* Re: Non-default fonts in Emacs using Xft
@ 2007-06-30 19:51           ` Felix Eckhofer
From: Felix Eckhofer @ 2007-06-30 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi.

On Saturday, 30. June 2007 19:56, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>> Thanks. I tried that already however this also seems to only change
>> the "default" font, not headlines and such.
> That's the desired behaviour: did you ever see some TeX output with
> headers in the same style as the text, all serifs or all sans serifs?

That was not quite what I meant. However, I finally found the solution
by clicking through a lot of "customize" pages:

(set-default-font "DejaVu Sans Mono-10")
(custom-set-faces
 '(fixed-pitch ((t (:family "DejaVu Sans Mono"))))
 '(variable-pitch ((t (:family "DejaVu Sans")))))

Now my emacs looks great - the way emacs should look in 2007 :-)

http://secundus.stunet.tu-freiberg.de/~felix/temp/screenshots/emacs-xft-working.png

thanks again
felix