all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* edit .emacs and then ....
@ 2007-06-15  9:24 David
From: David @ 2007-06-15  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

This is a real newby question. I have a load of buffers in emacs and I
edit .emacs with some new cool macro or what ever. To get the new code
working I could close and restart emacs, but I will have to re-load
every buffer. Is there an easy way to either 1) get the new lisp code
working without closing and reopening, or 2) close and reopen and
still have all the same buffers available so I don't have to open
easch manually.

peace
Dave

--
David Pleydell

Laboratoire de Biologie Environnementale
USC INRA-EA 3184
Université de Franche-Comté
Place Leclerc F
25030
Besançon
France

(0033) 0381665763
dpleydel@univ-fcomte.fr

* Re: edit .emacs and then ....
@ 2007-06-15 10:36 ` n_powell
From: n_powell @ 2007-06-15 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: edit .emacs and then ....
@ 2007-06-15 11:16 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-06-15 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dpleydel; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 15.06.2007 um 11:24 schrieb David:

> Is there an easy way to either 1) get the new lisp code
> working without closing and reopening,

Evaluate it in the *scratch* buffer.

> or 2) close and reopen and still have all the same buffers
> available so I don't have to open
> easch manually.

Use desktop.el and/or session.el.

--
Greetings

   Pete

The mathematician who pursues his studies without clear views of this
matter, must often have the uncomfortable feeling that his paper and
pencil surpass him in intelligence.
                                            Ernst Mach

* Re: edit .emacs and then ....
       [not found] <mailman.2187.1181903494.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-06-15 12:29 ` Andy Chambers
From: Andy Chambers @ 2007-06-15 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 15 Jun, 10:24, David <dpley...@univ-fcomte.fr> wrote:
> This is a real newby question. I have a load of buffers in emacs and I
> edit .emacs with some new cool macro or what ever. To get the new code
> working I could close and restart emacs, but I will have to re-load
> every buffer. Is there an easy way to either 1) get the new lisp code
> working without closing and reopening, or 2) close and reopen and
> still have all the same buffers available so I don't have to open
> easch manually.

The load-file function evaluates all the elisp functions in a given
file.  To apply this to your cool macros, do

M-x load-file RET ~/.emacs

Whilst you work on your .emacs, it may be an idea to bind this to some
key

(global-set-key '[f2] (lambda () (load-file "~/.emacs")))

Andy

* Re: edit .emacs and then ....
@ 2007-06-15 12:53   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-06-15 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andy Chambers <achambers.home@googlemail.com> writes:

Hi,

> The load-file function evaluates all the elisp functions in a given
> file.  To apply this to your cool macros, do
>
> M-x load-file RET ~/.emacs
>
> Whilst you work on your .emacs,

Another yet simpler solution would be only to evaluate the new cool
funtion or macro, e.g.

(defun my-cool-function ()
   ...)
        \
         \
      Place point behind the last closing paren and press `C-x C-e'.

,----[ C-h k C-x C-e ]
| C-x C-e runs the command eval-last-sexp
|   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `lisp-mode.el'.
| It is bound to C-x C-e.
| (eval-last-sexp EVAL-LAST-SEXP-ARG-INTERNAL)
|
| Evaluate sexp before point; print value in minibuffer.
| Interactively, with prefix argument, print output into current buffer.
|
| If `eval-expression-debug-on-error' is non-nil, which is the default,
| this command arranges for all errors to enter the debugger.
`----

Bye,
Tassilo
--
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it
needs to be.

* Re: edit .emacs and then ....
@ 2007-06-15 13:33   ` David
From: David @ 2007-06-15 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks guys for the pointers. By the way anyone know what Ernst Mach
is referring to at the end of Pete's email? (It clearly wasn't
evaluating LISP code).

Dave

--

@ 2007-06-19 19:53 ` Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2007-06-19 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David wrote:
> This is a real newby question. I have a load of buffers in emacs and I
> edit .emacs with some new cool macro or what ever. To get the new code
> working I could close and restart emacs, but I will have to re-load
> every buffer. Is there an easy way to either 1) get the new lisp code
> working without closing and reopening, or 2) close and reopen and
> still have all the same buffers available so I don't have to open
> easch manually.

Put your cursor at the end of the statement, and then ...

@ 2007-06-19 20:39   ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2007-06-19 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ken Goldman <kgold@watson.ibm.com> writes:

> David wrote:
>> This is a real newby question. I have a load of buffers in emacs and I
>> edit .emacs with some new cool macro or what ever. To get the new code
>> working I could close and restart emacs, but I will have to re-load
>> every buffer. Is there an easy way to either 1) get the new lisp code
>> working without closing and reopening, or 2) close and reopen and
>> still have all the same buffers available so I don't have to open
>> easch manually.
>>
> Put your cursor at the end of the statement, and then ...
>
> C-x C-e runs the command eval-last-sexp

That's the simplest way: others are

M-x eval-buffer RET
M-x load-file RET ~/.emacs

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

A webpage of interest:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/sylvester-response.html

* Re: edit .emacs and then ....
@ 2007-06-20 20:11     ` Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2007-06-20 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Joel J. Adamson wrote:
> Ken Goldman <kgold@watson.ibm.com> writes:
>

>>David wrote:
>>
>>>This is a real newby question. I have a load of buffers in emacs and I
>>>edit .emacs with some new cool macro or what ever. To get the new code
>>>working I could close and restart emacs, but I will have to re-load
>>>every buffer. Is there an easy way to either 1) get the new lisp code
>>>working without closing and reopening, or 2) close and reopen and
>>>still have all the same buffers available so I don't have to open
>>>easch manually.
>>>

>>Put your cursor at the end of the statement, and then ...
>>
>>C-x C-e runs the command eval-last-sexp
>

> That's the simplest way: others are
>
> M-x eval-buffer RET
> M-x load-file RET ~/.emacs

Rerunning the entire file can cause problems.  Some code may not be
idempotent - it does different things if you run it more than once.  An
example would be code that appends.

* Re: edit .emacs and then ....
@ 2007-06-21 14:29       ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2007-06-21 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ken Goldman <kgold@watson.ibm.com> writes:

> Joel J. Adamson wrote:
>> Ken Goldman <kgold@watson.ibm.com> writes:

>> That's the simplest way: others are
>>
>> M-x eval-buffer RET
>> M-x load-file RET ~/.emacs
>
> Rerunning the entire file can cause problems.  Some code may not be
> idempotent - it does different things if you run it more than once.
> An example would be code that appends.

Good point: I notice that when I run my .emacs after everything has
loaded, my colors change slightly.

Joel