all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* wrong frame position with --fullscreen
@ 2007-06-13 16:03 Stephan Hennig
       [not found] ` <mailman.2110.1181755853.32220.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stephan Hennig @ 2007-06-13 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

and to the gnu.emacs.bug news group.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

Steps to reproduce:
* Put desktop task panel at top of screen.
* Start emacs with 'emacs -Q --fullscreen'.

Symptoms:
* Emacs' frame appears under the task panel, i.e., Emacs' title bar
  and part of menu bar are hidden behind the task panel.

Expected behaviour:
* Emacs obeys task panel position when positioning the frame.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
If you would like to further debug the crash, please read the file
xxx/emacs/etc/DEBUG for instructions.

In GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2007-06-02 on RELEASE
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --cflags -Ic:/gnuwin32/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: DEU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  encoded-kbd-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
  utf-translate-cjk-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:

Recent messages:
("xxx\\emacs\\bin\\emacs.exe" "-Q")
For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p.
Making completion list...
Making completion list...

* Re: wrong frame position with --fullscreen
@ 2007-06-13 17:30 ` Juanma Barranquero
       [not found] ` <mailman.2110.1181755853.32220.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2007-06-13 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephan Hennig; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

On 6/13/07, Stephan Hennig <mailing_list@arcor.de> wrote:

> Steps to reproduce:
> * Put desktop task panel at top of screen.
> * Start emacs with 'emacs -Q --fullscreen'.
>
> Symptoms:
> * Emacs' frame appears under the task panel, i.e., Emacs' title bar
>   and part of menu bar are hidden behind the task panel.

It is a known bug/misfeature. Currently, Emacs' fullscreen support in
Windows is not very good. It doesn't grok multiple monitors, for
example. As a workaround you can move the frame to the right place,
either from your .emacs, or with registry settings. Also, I have a
(not very well tested) patch somewhere that fixes this problem
("tiptoes around" would be perhaps a more fitting description). Yell
if you want to give it a try.

             Juanma

* Re: wrong frame position with --fullscreen
@ 2007-06-13 17:46   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-06-13 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: Stephan Hennig, bug-gnu-emacs, Kim F. Storm

Juanma Barranquero wrote:
> On 6/13/07, Stephan Hennig <mailing_list@arcor.de> wrote:
>
>> Steps to reproduce:
>> * Put desktop task panel at top of screen.
>> * Start emacs with 'emacs -Q --fullscreen'.
>>
>> Symptoms:
>> * Emacs' frame appears under the task panel, i.e., Emacs' title bar
>>   and part of menu bar are hidden behind the task panel.
>
> It is a known bug/misfeature. Currently, Emacs' fullscreen support in
> Windows is not very good. It doesn't grok multiple monitors, for
> example. As a workaround you can move the frame to the right place,
> either from your .emacs, or with registry settings. Also, I have a
> (not very well tested) patch somewhere that fixes this problem
> ("tiptoes around" would be perhaps a more fitting description). Yell
> if you want to give it a try.

I have for long time had a fix for this in the patched version of
Emacs+EmacsW32 too. This patch is incomplete, since the bottom part of
Emacs window, below the minibuffer (or at the bottom part of it) is
sometimes not redrawn.

I would be glad to incorporate your patch there for testing. There has
been no complaints about the current patch, except for the redrawing
which is a little beauty problem in only some special cases. However
that does not mean that I know that it is otherwise correct. Kim said
once that he was unsure whether there are problems with maximized
windows and the current display code.

@ 2007-06-14 17:15   ` Stephan Hennig
From: Stephan Hennig @ 2007-06-14 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

Juanma Barranquero schrieb:
> On 6/13/07, Stephan Hennig <mailing_list@arcor.de> wrote:
>
>> Steps to reproduce:
>> * Put desktop task panel at top of screen.
>> * Start emacs with 'emacs -Q --fullscreen'.
>>
>> Symptoms:
>> * Emacs' frame appears under the task panel, i.e., Emacs' title bar
>>   and part of menu bar are hidden behind the task panel.
>
> It is a known bug/misfeature.

Thank you for looking into this.

> As a workaround you can move the frame to the right place, either
> from your .emacs, or with registry settings. Also, I have a (not very
> well tested) patch somewhere that fixes this problem ("tiptoes
> around" would be perhaps a more fitting description). Yell if you
> want to give it a try.

Thanks.  I haven't set up a build environment for Emacs yet.  So I won't
yell today or tomorrow.  (As a start I've just compiled the AUCTeX
package for the first time.)

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig