all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* No Windows File Dialogue in Win98SE
@ 2007-06-10 20:40 Juergen Fenn
From: Juergen Fenn @ 2007-06-10 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

  I tried to open a file in NTEmacs 22.1 on Windows 98 SE by selecting
  File|Open File with the mouse. The dialogue did not appear. Instead,
  I was prompted to input the path and file name in the
  minibuffer. This can be reproduced. Eli Zaretskii wrote on
  gmane.emacs.windows this is not what it's supposed to be. He does
  not observe this on more recent versions of Windows.

In GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i386-mingw-windows98.2222)
 of 2007-06-02 on RELEASE
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 4.10.2222
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --cflags -Ic:/gnuwin32/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: DE
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  encoded-kbd-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  unify-8859-on-decoding-mode: t
  unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
  utf-translate-cjk-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <menu-bar> <file> <open-file> <escape>
<escape> <escape> M-x r e p o r t SPC e m a c s SPC
b u g <return>

Recent messages:
Opening nnfolder server on archive...done
Reading active file from archive via nnfolder...done
No new newsgroups
Checking new news...done
Are you sure you want to quit reading news? (y or n)
(No changes need to be saved)
Quit

* Re: No Windows File Dialogue in Win98SE
@ 2007-06-10 23:27 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2007-06-10 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Juergen Fenn; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

Juergen Fenn wrote:
>   I tried to open a file in NTEmacs 22.1 on Windows 98 SE by selecting
>   File|Open File with the mouse. The dialogue did not appear.

Thanks, I think I have found the bug. If you can recompile Emacs (using
the mingw port of GCC, which is also free), then it would help us to
verify that this patch works before the next release.

*** w32fns.c    28 Mar 2007 23:13:00 +0100    1.288
--- w32fns.c    11 Jun 2007 00:24:10 +0100
***************
*** 7902,7910 ****
      /* Apparently NT4 crashes if you give it an unexpected size.
         I'm not sure about Windows 9x, so play it safe.  */
      if (w32_major_version > 4 && w32_major_version < 95)
!       file_details->lStructSize = sizeof (new_file_details);
      else
!       file_details->lStructSize = sizeof (file_details);

      file_details->hwndOwner = FRAME_W32_WINDOW (f);
      /* Undocumented Bug in Common File Dialog:
--- 7910,7918 ----
      /* Apparently NT4 crashes if you give it an unexpected size.
         I'm not sure about Windows 9x, so play it safe.  */
      if (w32_major_version > 4 && w32_major_version < 95)
!       file_details->lStructSize = sizeof (NEWOPENFILENAME);
      else
!       file_details->lStructSize = sizeof (OPENFILENAME);

@ 2007-06-11  5:52   ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2007-06-11  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jason Rumney; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs, Juergen Fenn

> Thanks, I think I have found the bug. If you can recompile Emacs (using
> the mingw port of GCC, which is also free), then it would help us to
> verify that this patch works before the next release.

Works on WindowsME.  I think this should go into Emacs 22.2.
(I apologize for not noticing this before but I try to avoid
these dialogs whenever I can.)

* Re: No Windows File Dialogue in Win98SE
@ 2007-06-11  7:54     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2007-06-11  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs, Juergen Fenn

martin rudalics wrote:
> Works on WindowsME.  I think this should go into Emacs 22.2.
> (I apologize for not noticing this before but I try to avoid
> these dialogs whenever I can.)

Thanks, I've checked it in to both trunk and EMACS_22_BASE already.

* Re: No Windows File Dialogue in Win98SE
@ 2007-06-11 20:05     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-06-11 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs, juergen.fenn

> Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 07:52:44 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>
> Cc: bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, Juergen Fenn <juergen.fenn@GMX.DE>
>
> (I apologize for not noticing this before but I try to avoid
> these dialogs whenever I can.)

FWIW, I've developed a minimal ``sanity check'' type of procedure to
test that a freshly built Emacs doesn't have any grave bugs in its GUI
features:

 . click menu bar, make sure menus open and tooltip help for menu
   items pops up and down;

 . move mouse pointer above tool-bar buttons, make sure they sense the
   mouse and that tooltip help pops up and down;

 . click File->Open File and File-Open Directory, make sure the file
   and directory selectors pop up;

 . same with tool-bar Open File and Open Directory buttons;

 . move mouse pointer above mode line, make sure it senses the mouse
   and that tooltip help pops up and down;

 . click mouse-3 in the text area, make sure context menu pops up and
   down;

 . click mouse-3 on the mode line where the mode name is displayed,
   make sure the minor mode menu pops up;

 . press S-mouse-1, make sure the font selector pops up;

 . click Help->Read the Emacs manual, and make sure that mouse
   highlight on menu items and cross-references works

* Re: No Windows File Dialogue in Win98SE
@ 2007-06-11 20:31       ` Juergen Fenn
From: Juergen Fenn @ 2007-06-11 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> FWIW, I've developed a minimal ``sanity check'' type of procedure to
> test that a freshly built Emacs doesn't have any grave bugs in its GUI
> features:
>
>  . click menu bar, make sure menus open and tooltip help for menu
>    items pops up and down;

Menus open, but there is no tooltip help for any menu item. Tooltips
are only displayed for tool-bar buttons.

>  . move mouse pointer above tool-bar buttons, make sure they sense the
>    mouse and that tooltip help pops up and down;

OK.

>  . click File->Open File and File-Open Directory, make sure the file
>    and directory selectors pop up;

Doesn't work, as I already pointed out. Minibuffer is active.

>  . same with tool-bar Open File and Open Directory buttons;

Doesn't work either. Only the minibuffer is active.

>  . move mouse pointer above mode line, make sure it senses the mouse
>    and that tooltip help pops up and down;

OK.

>  . click mouse-3 in the text area, make sure context menu pops up and
>    down;

If "mouse-3" is the right mouse button together with the CTRL key: it
works with me. "<C-drag-mouse-3> is undefined" is shown in
minibuffer.

>  . click mouse-3 on the mode line where the mode name is displayed,
>    make sure the minor mode menu pops up;

They do pop up in the groups buffer of Gnus.

>  . press S-mouse-1, make sure the font selector pops up;

This was displayed in v21.3 when I pressed CTRL+SHIFT+left mouse
button. It doesn't work here. I get font selection from Options|Set
Font/Fontset .

>  . click Help->Read the Emacs manual, and make sure that mouse
>    highlight on menu items and cross-references works

It works.

HTH,
Jürgen.

* Re: No Windows File Dialogue in Win98SE
@ 2007-06-11 22:17         ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2007-06-11 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Juergen Fenn; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

Juergen Fenn wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>  . click menu bar, make sure menus open and tooltip help for menu
>>    items pops up and down;
>>

> Menus open, but there is no tooltip help for any menu item. Tooltips
> are only displayed for tool-bar buttons.

This one should work on all versions since Windows 95 and NT 4.0, but
not all menu items have help text and those that do display the tooltips
after some delay, so to make sure, please try the following:

1. Open the File menu.
2. Move the mouse down to point to "Visit New File...    (C-x C-f)"
3. Do not move the mouse for 10 seconds

>>  . click File->Open File and File-Open Directory, make sure the file
>>    and directory selectors pop up;
>>
>>  . same with tool-bar Open File and Open Directory buttons;

These ones have been fixed just recently, confirmed on Windows ME.

>>  . press S-mouse-1, make sure the font selector pops up;
>>

> This was displayed in v21.3 when I pressed CTRL+SHIFT+left mouse
> button. It doesn't work here. I get font selection from Options|Set
> Font/Fontset .

You mean you do get it from the menu, but not from S-mouse-1?
Perhaps your .emacs is getting in the way, what does C-h k S-mouse-1 say?

* Re: No Windows File Dialogue in Win98SE
@ 2007-06-12 19:58           ` Juergen Fenn
From: Juergen Fenn @ 2007-06-12 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

Jason Rumney <jasonr@gnu.org> writes:

>>>  . click menu bar, make sure menus open and tooltip help for menu
>>>    items pops up and down;
>>>

>> Menus open, but there is no tooltip help for any menu item. Tooltips
>> are only displayed for tool-bar buttons.
>>

> This one should work on all versions since Windows 95 and NT 4.0, but
> not all menu items have help text

Ah.

> and those that do display the tooltips after some delay, so to make
> sure, please try the following:
>
> 1. Open the File menu.
> 2. Move the mouse down to point to "Visit New File...    (C-x C-f)"
> 3. Do not move the mouse for 10 seconds

This works indeed.

>>>  . press S-mouse-1, make sure the font selector pops up;
>>>

>> This was displayed in v21.3 when I pressed CTRL+SHIFT+left mouse
>> button. It doesn't work here. I get font selection from Options|Set
>> Font/Fontset .
>>
> You mean you do get it from the menu, but not from S-mouse-1?

Yes.

> Perhaps your .emacs is getting in the way, what does C-h k S-mouse-1 say?

  "... at that spot is undefined"

when I clicked somewhere in this gnus buffer I am just typing in.

Regards,
Jürgen.

* Re: No Windows File Dialogue in Win98SE
@ 2007-06-14  6:59       ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2007-06-14  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs, juergen.fenn

> FWIW, I've developed a minimal ``sanity check'' type of procedure to
> test that a freshly built Emacs doesn't have any grave bugs in its GUI
> features:

All these work now on my WindowsME install.  Maybe we could add the
following entries:

. Whether mouse clicks on the mode-line work to delete this or other
   windows.

. Whether resizing windows works by dragging the mode-line (the current
   release doesn't handle this correctly) and vertical dividers.

. Whether dragging scroll-bars behaves as intended.

. Whether mouse-scrolling works as intended.

I'm not sure how to word a simple check for the last two.