all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* File dialog on 22.1 w32
@ 2007-06-11  1:04 B. T. Raven
       [not found] ` <mailman.1906.1181531562.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: B. T. Raven @ 2007-06-11  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Using the new release:

GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i386-mingw-windows98.2222)
  of 2007-06-02 on RELEASE

I still can't get file dialog to to open when I click on File > Open File.
Instead I see "Find file: .." in the minibuffer. Both Use Dialog Box and Use
File Dialog are set and saved according to Customize. This has been the
behavior since 22.0.0. It works ok on 21.3.

Another mystery on this same platform is that the following at the end of my
.emacs seems to be ignored:

"
(make-frame '((name . "courier")
                (top . 1) (left . 1) (width . 98) (height . 17)
                (visibility . icon) ; nil or icon
                (font . "-outline-Courier
New-normal-r-normal-normal-*-*-96-96-c-*-iso10646-1")))

(select-frame-by-name "courier")
"

The frame is created and displayed but the font is proportional (the default
here) instead of Courier New. I can change it with S-left-mouse but it seems
like the above code should have worked.

Does any of you have any ideas on these two problems?

Thanks,
Ed

* Re: File dialog on 22.1 w32
@ 2007-06-11  3:12 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.1906.1181531562.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-06-11  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 20:04:16 -0500
> From: "B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net>
>
> Using the new release:
>
> GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i386-mingw-windows98.2222)
>   of 2007-06-02 on RELEASE
>
> I still can't get file dialog to to open when I click on File > Open File.
> Instead I see "Find file: .." in the minibuffer. Both Use Dialog Box and Use
> File Dialog are set and saved according to Customize. This has been the
> behavior since 22.0.0. It works ok on 21.3.

Jason just posted a patch on bug-gnu-emacs.  If you can rebuild Emacs
from sources, could you please try that patch and see if it solves
your problem?

* Re: File dialog on 22.1 w32
       [not found] ` <mailman.1906.1181531562.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-06-11 14:58   ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2007-06-11 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 20:04:16 -0500
>> From: "B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net>
>>
>> Using the new release:
>>
>> GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i386-mingw-windows98.2222)
>>   of 2007-06-02 on RELEASE
>>
>> I still can't get file dialog to to open when I click on File > Open File.
>> Instead I see "Find file: .." in the minibuffer. Both Use Dialog Box and Use
>> File Dialog are set and saved according to Customize. This has been the
>> behavior since 22.0.0. It works ok on 21.3.
>
> Jason just posted a patch on bug-gnu-emacs.  If you can rebuild Emacs
> from sources, could you please try that patch and see if it solves
> your problem?

Thanks Eli (and Jason). I'm afraid I could only accomplish a rebuild with
the help of more handholding than anyone would probably care to offer. Is
there a site that offers detailed step by step instructions on how to
accomplish this? I have downloaded a bunch of mingw stuff but I don't even
know how to unpack the tar.gz files.

Ed

* Re: File dialog on 22.1 w32
@ 2007-06-11 15:49     ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-06-11 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

B. T. Raven wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 20:04:16 -0500
>>> From: "B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net>
>>>
>>> Using the new release:
>>>
>>> GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i386-mingw-windows98.2222)
>>>   of 2007-06-02 on RELEASE
>>>
>>> I still can't get file dialog to to open when I click on File > Open
>>> File. Instead I see "Find file: .." in the minibuffer. Both Use
>>> Dialog Box and Use File Dialog are set and saved according to
>>> Customize. This has been the behavior since 22.0.0. It works ok on 21.3.
>>
>> Jason just posted a patch on bug-gnu-emacs.  If you can rebuild Emacs
>> from sources, could you please try that patch and see if it solves
>> your problem?
>>

> Thanks Eli (and Jason). I'm afraid I could only accomplish a rebuild
> with the help of more handholding than anyone would probably care to
> offer. Is there a site that offers detailed step by step instructions on
> how to accomplish this? I have downloaded a bunch of mingw stuff but I
> don't even know how to unpack the tar.gz files.
>
> Ed

Maybe this can help you:

   http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/w32-build-emacs.html