all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* desktop-save: DESKTOP-BUFFER-POINT for current buffer always becomdes 1
@ 2007-06-08  6:03 Bauke Jan Douma
From: Bauke Jan Douma @ 2007-06-08  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

OK, this has been irritiating me or some time: I have desktop-save-mode t
but always find that when I restart emacs, the previous session's current
buffer (at exit) always gets its DESKTOP-BUFFER-POINT set to 1.

Yesterday tried to correct that, but I cannot get it to work correctly.
The desktop file, ~/.emacs.desktop ad far as I can tell is perfectly
correct, it's just that it has 1 for DESKTOP-BUFFER-POINT for the current
buffer.

Here's what I'm doing, at the very end of ~/.emacs:

(require 'desktop)
(setq desktop-save t)
(setq desktop-save-mode t)
(setq history-length t)
(add-to-list 'desktop-globals-to-save '(minibuffer-history command-history file-name-history extended-command-history))
(setq desktop-save-mode t)
(desktop-read)

Any thoughts?
Thanks.

bjd

* Re: desktop-save: DESKTOP-BUFFER-POINT for current buffer always becomdes 1
@ 2007-06-08  9:18 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-06-08  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: bjdouma; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 08.06.2007 um 08:03 schrieb Bauke Jan Douma:

> Any thoughts?

Use desktop and session!

--
Greetings

   Pete

Rain is saved up in cloud banks.

* Re: desktop-save: DESKTOP-BUFFER-POINT for current buffer always becomdes 1
@ 2007-06-10  9:25 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-06-10  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: bjdouma; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 08.06.2007 um 08:03 schrieb Bauke Jan Douma:

> I have desktop-save-mode t
> but always find that when I restart emacs, the previous session's
> current
> buffer (at exit) always gets its DESKTOP-BUFFER-POINT set to 1.

OK, I have to admit that this seems to work only for a few modes for
me, i.e. with desktop and session. In which buffers or modes do you
miss the feature of saving the cursor's position?

--
Greetings

   Pete

“I hope to die before I *have* to use Microsoft Word.”
      - Donald E. Knuth, 2001-10-02 in Tübingen.

* Re: desktop-save: DESKTOP-BUFFER-POINT for current buffer always becomdes 1
       [not found] <mailman.1765.1181282624.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-06-10 22:11 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-06-10 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Bauke Jan Douma wrote:

> I have desktop-save-mode t but always find that when I restart
> emacs, the previous session's current buffer (at exit) always gets
> its DESKTOP-BUFFER-POINT set to 1.

IIRC, add

(setq inhibit-startup-message t)

to your ~/.emacs file, to work around an apparent bug in the
implementation of the splash screen. I think this is fixed in Emacs 22
(you did not give your Emacs version).

* Re: desktop-save: DESKTOP-BUFFER-POINT for current buffer always becomdes 1
@ 2007-06-10 22:17 ` Bauke Jan Douma
From: Bauke Jan Douma @ 2007-06-10 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: bjdouma; +Cc: Peter Dyballa, help-gnu-emacs

Bauke Jan Douma wrote on 08-06-07 08:03:
> OK, this has been irritiating me or some time: I have desktop-save-mode t
> but always find that when I restart emacs, the previous session's current
> buffer (at exit) always gets its DESKTOP-BUFFER-POINT set to 1.
>
> Yesterday tried to correct that, but I cannot get it to work correctly.
> The desktop file, ~/.emacs.desktop ad far as I can tell is perfectly
> correct, it's just that it has 1 for DESKTOP-BUFFER-POINT for the current
> buffer.

Got it!

It wasn't my customized menus after all, but fvwm-mode.el
is apparently buggy.

I think this had been annoying me for about two years!
Btw., it's working now with just desktop.el, w/o session.el.

Thanks.

bjd