all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Using mac command key as normal command key in emacs
@ 2005-11-19 14:32 Gilbert Harman
From: Gilbert Harman @ 2005-11-19 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw

I am trying to figure out how to allow the mac command key to function as
the normal command key in the yesterday's CVS version,  (GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1
(powerpc-apple-darwin8.3.0) of 2005-11-18 on Gilbert-Harmans-Computer.local)

I have in my .emacs
  (setq mac-pass-command-to-system t)
  (setq mac-command-key-is-meta nil)
but it now seems that the variable "mac-command-key-is-meta" is no longer
recognized.  And the setting for "mac-pass-command-key-to-system" is being
ignored.

There is a variable "mac-command-variable" with the following
Documentation:
 Modifier key assumed when the Mac command key is pressed.
 The value can be `alt', `ctrl', `hyper', or `super' for the respective
 modifier. The default is `meta'.

But none of these allows the command key to function as the standard command
key.  (But something "killed" in emacs can still be "pasted" into another
mac program with command-V.)

  Gil

* Re: Using mac command key as normal command key in emacs
@ 2005-11-19 16:12 ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2005-11-19 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: Mac OSX Emacs, Emacs help

Gilbert,

> I have in my .emacs
>   (setq mac-pass-command-to-system t)
>   (setq mac-command-key-is-meta nil)
> but it now seems that the variable "mac-command-key-is-meta" is no
> longer
> recognized.  And the setting for "mac-pass-command-key-to-system"
> is being
> ignored.

Yes, these variables have been removed.
Note that you are using a developer snapshot, so things can change at
any time.

> There is a variable "mac-command-variable" with the following
> Documentation:
>  Modifier key assumed when the Mac command key is pressed.
>  The value can be `alt', `ctrl', `hyper', or `super' for the
> respective
>  modifier. The default is `meta'.
>
> But none of these allows the command key to function as the
> standard command
> key.  (But something "killed" in emacs can still be "pasted" into
> another
> mac program with command-V.)

Emacs doesn't know "command" as a modifier key, because it doesn't
exist on other operating systems.
I suspect you would like the Command-key combinations like Command-C,
Command-V, Command-Q to do the same as in other Mac programs. If that
is the case, your best bet is to use an Emacs distribution like
Aquamacs  (http://aquamacs.org). There are other solutions which
involve more or less manual intervention - usually they will map the
command key to something like 'hyper or 'alt and then bind
appropriate functions to the keys.

Hope that helps. If you wanted the command keys to do something else,
like shortcuts defined by other applications or by the system and it
doesn't do something it used to do, please do let us know.

- Dave

PS.: I'm  cc'ing the Emacs Help list instead of Emacs-devel.