all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to open a particular info page by command name
@ 2007-12-03 13:04 rdiezmail-emacs
From: rdiezmail-emacs @ 2007-12-03 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all:

In the command-line (outside emacs) I can do "man xxx" to get help
about a Unix command, and "info xxx" to get help in the form of info
pages.

I easily found how to do "man xxx" within emacs and comfortably browse
the help pages, I'm using the "woman" module at the moment (it comes
with emacs). I even wrote a small shell script to turn emacs into a
handy man page viewer:

emacs --no-splash --eval "(progn (setq woman-use-own-frame nil) (woman
\"$1\"))" &

Unfortunately, I couldn't find how to do the same with the info pages.

Don't get me wrong: I don't want to manually open the root info page
and click around; I want to type the name of a command (say gcc) and
get the same page I would get if I typed "info gcc" in the console, but
inside the built-in emacs info page viewer.

I've searched with Google and browsed the Lisp code of the info module
to no avail. Can someone help me?

Thanks a lot,
  Ruben

       __________________________________ Ihr erstes Fernweh? Wo gibt es den schönsten Strand? www.yahoo.de/clever

* Re: How to open a particular info page by command name
@ 2007-12-04  0:08 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-12-04  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: rdiezmail-emacs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

rdiezmail-emacs@yahoo.de wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> In the command-line (outside emacs) I can do "man xxx" to get help
> about a Unix command, and "info xxx" to get help in the form of info
> pages.
>
> I easily found how to do "man xxx" within emacs and comfortably browse
> the help pages, I'm using the "woman" module at the moment (it comes
> with emacs). I even wrote a small shell script to turn emacs into a
> handy man page viewer:
>
> emacs --no-splash --eval "(progn (setq woman-use-own-frame nil) (woman
> \"$1\"))" &
>
> Unfortunately, I couldn't find how to do the same with the info pages.
>
> Don't get me wrong: I don't want to manually open the root info page
> and click around; I want to type the name of a command (say gcc) and
> get the same page I would get if I typed "info gcc" in the console, but
> inside the built-in emacs info page viewer.
>
> I've searched with Google and browsed the Lisp code of the info module
> to no avail. Can someone help me?

If you can figure out how to do the quoting (I can't) then it is no
problem. What you want to call is someting like

    (info "(elisp) That Page")

* Re: How to open a particular info page by command name
@ 2007-12-04  0:20   ` Sebastian Tennant
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4467.1196727678.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2007-12-04  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Quoth "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>:
> rdiezmail-emacs@yahoo.de wrote:
>> I even wrote a small shell script to turn emacs into a
>> handy man page viewer:
>>
>> emacs --no-splash --eval "(progn (setq woman-use-own-frame nil) (woman
>> \"$1\"))" &
>>
>> Unfortunately, I couldn't find how to do the same with the info pages.

> If you can figure out how to do the quoting (I can't) then it is no
> problem. What you want to call is someting like
>
>    (info "(elisp) That Page")

 $ emacs -Q --no-site-file --eval '(info "(bash3ref)Arrays")'

Works for me.

HTH,

Sebastian

@ 2007-12-04  0:38     ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2007-12-04  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sebastian Tennant <sebyte@smolny.plus.com> writes:

>  $ emacs -Q --no-site-file --eval '(info "(bash3ref)Arrays")'

-Q implies --no-site-file

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: How to open a particular info page by command name
@ 2007-12-04  0:57       ` Sebastian Tennant
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2007-12-04  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Quoth bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård):
> Sebastian Tennant <sebyte@smolny.plus.com> writes:
>
>>  $ emacs -Q --no-site-file --eval '(info "(bash3ref)Arrays")'
>
> -Q implies --no-site-file

$ emacs -Q --eval '(info "(bash3ref)Arrays")'

Even better!

@ 2007-12-04  5:48   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-12-04  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 01:08:01 +0100
> From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> If you can figure out how to do the quoting (I can't) then it is no
> problem. What you want to call is someting like
>
>     (info "(elisp) That Page")

Doesn't

    emacs -Q --eval "(info \"(elisp) Lists\")"

work for you?

* Re: How to open a particular info page by command name
@ 2007-12-04 18:53     ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-12-04 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 01:08:01 +0100
>> From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>
>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>>
>> If you can figure out how to do the quoting (I can't) then it is no
>> problem. What you want to call is someting like
>>
>>     (info "(elisp) That Page")
>
> Doesn't
>
>     emacs -Q --eval "(info \"(elisp) Lists\")"
>
> work for you?

Thanks, yes it does.

I used an old faulty batch file that calls emacsclient to do this. This
works with emacsclient too:

    emacsclientw -e "(info \"(elisp) Lists\")"

though you may have to call emacsclient once again to show the Emacs window.