all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Quite a few emacs questions
@ 2007-05-16  0:42 mowgli
From: mowgli @ 2007-05-16  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

What is the difference in .emacs file and .emacs.d directory? Can
there me a .emacs file in this directory?

How do you add these to .emacs?

M-x color-theme xyz
M-x font-lock-mode
M-x shell-script-mode
M-x set-variable visible-bell true
M-x highlight-current-line-globally

I have put the cyclebuffer-forward and cyclebuffer-backward in .emacs
but it doesn't seem to work since M-N and M-B  are already emacs keys.
How to tell emacs to use it for the cyclebuffer commands and not
interpret it the default way?

When using X, how to change the default font used by emacs? It's
extremely small.

I'm just installing w3. Does it support frames like the links or
elinks browsers?

How to make screen work with emacs?

How to make eshell work like on full page? Typing any command scrolls
half the page to top.

How to make eshell behave properly? typing Ctrl-L to clear screen
doesn't work and outputs junk. The clear command doesn't work either.

Regards,
mowgli

* Re: Quite a few emacs questions
@ 2007-05-16  7:05 ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found] ` <mailman.749.1179349827.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-05-16  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I've answered both of your questions in comp.emacs. Please avoid
multipostings in different groups, that's against usenet netiquette and
you won't make many friends with that.

If it's really not avoidable to post to more than one group, use
crossposting and set a follow up header.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Chuck Norris built a better mousetrap, but the world was too frightened
to beat a path to his door.

* Re: Quite a few emacs questions
@ 2007-05-16 21:07 ` Amy Templeton
       [not found]   ` <mailman.751.1179353187.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.749.1179349827.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Amy Templeton @ 2007-05-16 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

mowgli <knowledgeless@gmail.com> wrote:
> How to make eshell behave properly? typing Ctrl-L to clear screen
> doesn't work and outputs junk. The clear command doesn't work
> either.

CODE:
______________________________

(defun eshell/clear ()
  "Clears the eshell buffer."
  (interactive)
  (let ((inhibit-read-only t))
    (erase-buffer)))
______________________________

...works for me. Just put that function definition in your .emacs.
If you would like to test it out in your current session (I assume
this is the case), put your cursor after the *last* parenthesis
after the (erase-buffer) command and hit "C-x C-e" (to evaluate the
code). Then test it out in the eshell buffer.

> How to make eshell work like on full page? Typing any command
> scrolls half the page to top.

Could you be more specific? I'm not really sure what you mean by
this. You can go back in the eshell buffer just like any other
buffer, if that's your question.

> I'm just installing w3. Does it support frames like the links or
> elinks browsers?

I don't believe so, and neither does emacs-w3m (my browser of
choice). You might try to look into a comparison of w3 and
emacs-w3m's features before deciding on one; try googling for each
one.

> When using X, how to change the default font used by emacs? It's
> extremely small.

CODE:

(if window-system
      (set-default-font
      "-adobe-courier-medium-r-*-*-14-*-100-100-*-*-iso10646-1"))

...would do this, assuming you wanted that particular font. Enter
your font of choice.

> How do you add these to .emacs?

I'll take these one at a time...

> M-x color-theme xyz

CODE:
_________________

(color-theme-xyz)
_________________

An M-x command uses the full name of the command, so what you put
in your .emacs should match what you enter with M-x. However, I
would suggest doing it this way:

CODE:
________________________

(if window-system
      (color-theme-xyz))
________________________

...because that way, if you start it in a terminal your colors
won't be all messed up. If you wanted, you could add a second part
to the if statement that would make it use a different color theme
(instead of no color theme) if you weren't using emacs in an X
window.

CODE:

(if window-system
      (color-theme-xyz)
  (color-theme-your-favorite-for-the-terminal))

> M-x font-lock-mode

(global-font-lock-mode 1)

> M-x shell-script-mode

Entering this in your .emacs would not, I think, have the effect
you're looking for. Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you looking to
start shell-script-mode on certain types of files or on certain
individual files? If so, you might be more interested in something
like this:

CODE:

(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.ses" . ses-mode))

...inserting, of course, the file or file ending you wanted instead
of ".ses" and the mode you wanted instead of "ses-mode."

> M-x set-variable visible-bell true

CODE:
_____________________

(setq visible-bell t)
_____________________

setq is the command to set one or more variables.

> M-x highlight-current-line-globally

CODE:
_____________________________

(highlight-current-line-on t)
_____________________________

...will turn it on. Passing it an argument of nil (instead of t)
will turn it off again if it gets on your nerves.

> I have put the cyclebuffer-forward and cyclebuffer-backward in
> .emacs but it doesn't seem to work since M-N and M-B are already
> emacs keys. How to tell emacs to use it for the cyclebuffer
> commands and not interpret it the default way?

I'd suggest just binding them to keys that you don't use. As far as
I can tell, M-n is not globally set to anything. M-b is, but it
would probably make more sense to your fingers to use M-p (which is
globally not defined) instead, since C-n and C-p are already
associated (next and previous line, respectively). So you could
do...

CODE:

(global-set-key (kbd "M-n") 'cyclebuffer-forward)
(global-set-key (kbd "M-p") 'cyclebuffer-backward)

...in your .emacs (and eval them the same was as with the first
command I suggested). That should make it work.

Amy

--
One planet is all you get.

* Re: Quite a few emacs questions
@ 2007-05-16 21:58   ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]   ` <mailman.751.1179353187.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-05-16 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: knowledgeless; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

mowgli <knowledgeless@gmail.com> wrote:

> How to make eshell work like on full page? Typing any command
> scrolls half the page to top.

The variable scroll-conservatively can be adjusted for this purpose.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.     — Oscar
Wilde

* Re: Quite a few emacs questions
@ 2007-05-17  0:23   ` mowgli
From: mowgli @ 2007-05-17  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 16, 12:05 pm, Tassilo Horn <tass...@member.fsf.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've answered both of your questions in comp.emacs. Please avoid
> multipostings in different groups, that's against usenet netiquette and
> you won't make many friends with that.
>
> If it's really not avoidable to post to more than one group, use
> crossposting and set a follow up header.
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo
> --
> Chuck Norris built a better mousetrap, but the world was too frightened
> to beat a path to his door.

Thanks for the info. I'll avoid posting to both ngs. Could you tell me
the difference in both the groups? Are there any special kind of
questions that should go to one and others to the other?

Regards,
mowgli

P.S.: Nice Chuk Norris jokes btw. where did you get them?

* Re: Quite a few emacs questions
@ 2007-05-17  0:43     ` knowledge less
From: knowledge less @ 2007-05-17  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 5/17/07, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

> The variable scroll-conservatively can be adjusted for this purpose.

What value do you set it to. Default is 0 and there is no mention  in the
variable description help, what values it can be set to.

@ 2007-05-17  7:01     ` mowgli
From: mowgli @ 2007-05-17  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 17, 2:58 am, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> mowgli <knowledgel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > How to make eshell work like on full page? Typing any command
> > scrolls half the page to top.
>
> The variable scroll-conservatively can be adjusted for this purpose.

What value do you set it to. Default is 0 and there is no mention  in
the variable description help, what values it can be set to. I tried
settign it to 10 and 25 but it seems nothing changes the behaviour.

@ 2007-05-17  8:42       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-05-17  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: knowledge less; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 17.05.2007 um 02:43 schrieb knowledge less:

> On 5/17/07, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>
> The variable scroll-conservatively can be adjusted for this purpose.
>
> What value do you set it to. Default is 0 and there is no mention
> in the variable description help, what values it can be set to.

Is it so complicated to lookup the meaning of this variable?

	scroll-conservatively is a variable defined in `C source code'.
	Its value is 0

	Documentation:
	*Scroll up to this many lines, to bring point back on screen.
	A value of zero means to scroll the text to center point vertically
	in the window.

	You can customize this variable.

Reading this explanation again I am not sure, whether this variable
really can do what you want ... It seems to play a role when some
shell output moved the point below the end of the buffer. Your
description was that the buffer contents was scrolled up when you
came close to the end of the buffer. So I think scroll-up-
aggressively (and scroll-down-aggressively) are the proper variables.
(C-h v <name of the variable> RET will produce what I don't want to
copy and paste.)

--
Greetings

   Pete

Atheism is a non prophet organization.

* Re: Quite a few emacs questions
@ 2007-05-17  9:22     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-05-17  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

mowgli <knowledgeless@gmail.com> writes:

Hi,

> Thanks for the info. I'll avoid posting to both ngs. Could you tell me
> the difference in both the groups?

comp.emacs is for questions about any emacsen, may it be GNU Emacs,
XEmacs or SXEmacs. This group is only about GNU Emacs.

> Are there any special kind of questions that should go to one and
> others to the other?

Well, if it's special to any flavour of emacs, then the specific group
should be used. In case of GNU Emacs it would be this group.

> P.S.: Nice Chuk Norris jokes btw. where did you get them?

I think I got them from [1], but the site seems to be down.

Bye,
Tassilo
__________
[1] www.k-lug.org/~kessler/cn.html
--
Chuck Norris  is the only known  mammal in history to  have an opposable
thumb. On his penis.

* Re: Quite a few emacs questions
@ 2007-05-17  9:30     ` Daniel Jensen
From: Daniel Jensen @ 2007-05-17  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

mowgli <knowledgeless@gmail.com> writes:

> On May 16, 12:05 pm, Tassilo Horn <tass...@member.fsf.org> wrote:
>
>> I've answered both of your questions in comp.emacs. Please avoid
>> multipostings in different groups, that's against usenet netiquette and
>> you won't make many friends with that.
>>
>> If it's really not avoidable to post to more than one group, use
>> crossposting and set a follow up header.
>
> Thanks for the info. I'll avoid posting to both ngs. Could you tell me
> the difference in both the groups? Are there any special kind of
> questions that should go to one and others to the other?

The comp.emacs group is for discussions about emacs editors in general,
or emacsen in plural form. There are a lot of them, but many questions
there tend to be about GNU Emacs because it is the most popular one.

The gnu.emacs.help group is a support group for GNU Emacs only. It is
also a mailing list (help-gnu-emacs) and has higher activity than
comp.emacs. I suggest you use this newsgroup unless you want to reach
users of other emacsen.

* Re: Quite a few emacs questions
@ 2007-05-17 12:03       ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-05-17 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> mowgli <knowledgeless@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Thanks for the info. I'll avoid posting to both ngs. Could you tell me
>> the difference in both the groups?
>
> comp.emacs is for questions about any emacsen, may it be GNU Emacs,
> XEmacs or SXEmacs. This group is only about GNU Emacs.

Uh, not really.  For XEmacs or SXEmacs, the group comp.emacs.xemacs is
quite more appropriate.  However, gnu.emacs.help is indeed a group
focused on _helping_ people with particular problems.  While
comp.emacs may be appropriate for discussing, say, architectural
issues across the whole Emacs clan range, gnu.emacs.help is more
focused on a particular installation, and for those, it is really
mostly appropriate for Emacs as such.  It is also gated to a mailing
list, and pretty much every other actively employed Emacs variant has
its own user-level/help mailing list.

@ 2007-05-17 19:33   ` mowgli
From: mowgli @ 2007-05-17 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 17, 2:07 am, Amy Templeton <amy.g.temple...@gmail.com> wrote:

> CODE:
> ______________________________
>
> (defun eshell/clear ()
>   "Clears the eshell buffer."
>   (interactive)
>   (let ((inhibit-read-only t))
>     (erase-buffer)))
> ______________________________

[snip]

> after the (erase-buffer) command and hit "C-x C-e" (to evaluate the
> code). Then test it out in the eshell buffer.

First of all thanks a ton for the nice detail explanations.

Pressing C-x C-e generates some eval errors that I can't paste here in
firefox since copy/pasting from other apps doesn't seem to work in ff.

But atleast now the clear command in eshell works. Nice

> > How to make eshell work like on full page? Typing any command
> > scrolls half the page to top.
>
> Could you be more specific? I'm not really sure what you mean by
> this. You can go back in the eshell buffer just like any other
> buffer, if that's your question.

Peter got it right I think. I knew my question could confuse. Sorry.
Say that I have a directory listing containing about 20 entries. When
I type ls -l in eshell, I get only the last 10 or so entries. The
below entries that is. The emacs in X, I can easily press Shift Pg-Up
to read the first entries tho this is also a pain. But bad thing is
that in console, Shift Pg-Up in emacs doesn't give you the first
entries in that list.

Now say you have 20 entries in a dir and you type the clear command in
eshell. Now do an ls -l mydir. This results in only the bottom 10
entries. you do ls -l as many times you want but can never see the
topmost 10 entries. How do you fix that? I hope I'm not confusing
again.

 > > I'm just installing w3. Does it support frames like the links or
> > elinks browsers?

> I don't believe so, and neither does emacs-w3m (my browser of
> choice). You might try to look into a comparison of w3 and
> emacs-w3m's features before deciding on one; try googling for each
> one.

I tried using lynx in eshell and it works like a charm. However since
lynx doesn't support frames, I like links or elinks but running these
in eshell just outputs grabage all over the screen and I have to kill
the eshell buffer. If there was a way to run links or elinks, it would
be just great.

> > When using X, how to change the default font used by emacs? It's
> > extremely small.
>
> CODE:
>
> (if window-system
>       (set-default-font
>       "-adobe-courier-medium-r-*-*-14-*-100-100-*-*-iso10646-1"))

> ...would do this, assuming you wanted that particular font. Enter
> your font of choice.

Works very nicely. Infact I used this same font just with the value of
24 and it's a nice font.

> I'll take these one at a time...
>
> > M-x color-theme xyz
>
> CODE:
> _________________
>
> (color-theme-xyz)
> _________________

[snip]

> CODE:
> ________________________
>
> (if window-system
>       (color-theme-xyz))
> ________________________

> CODE:
>
> (if window-system
>       (color-theme-xyz)
>   (color-theme-your-favorite-for-the-terminal))

Neither of the above works. The acutal command is M-x color-theme-
select , then pressing enter and selecting from the list of themes
normally. But even putting (color-theme-select xyz) gives the
following error in any case:

Symbol's definition function is void : color-theme-euphoria

or

Symbol's definition function is void : color-theme-select-euphoria

euphoria being the theme name.

> CODE:
>
> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.ses" . ses-mode))
>
> ...inserting, of course, the file or file ending you wanted instead
> of ".ses" and the mode you wanted instead of "ses-mode."

The shell script mode isn't that important and it's now working
with .sh file extensions so it's fine.

> setq is the command to set one or more variables.

I needed this explanation. Thanks again.

> > M-x highlight-current-line-globally
>
> CODE:
> _____________________________
>
> (highlight-current-line-on t)
> _____________________________

> ...will turn it on. Passing it an argument of nil (instead of t)
> will turn it off again if it gets on your nerves.

Before it gets on  my nerves, I wish to use none for the bg color and
a nice color for fg so that only the characters color change telling
me which line I am on. The command for this is

highlight-current-line-set-bg-color  then press enter and type the
color of choice

Same for the fg color. But neither of these work. Same error:

Symbol's definition function is void : highlight-current-line-set-bg-
color

> CODE:
>
> (global-set-key (kbd "M-n") 'cyclebuffer-forward)
> (global-set-key (kbd "M-p") 'cyclebuffer-backward)
>
> ...in your .emacs (and eval them the same was as with the first
> command I suggested). That should make it work.

Both now work nicely. In the cyclebuffer info page, there was
something else mentioned instead of the kbd and that was causing
problem it seems.

Thanks for the great help again. WIth all of you helping has generated
in me more interest in emacs than before. I even printed out the GNU
Emacs manual by Eric Raymond. Tho it seems a little outdated. Is that
enough to make me comfy with emacs?

@ 2007-05-17 19:53     ` Lowell Gilbert
From: Lowell Gilbert @ 2007-05-17 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

mowgli <knowledgeless@gmail.com> writes:

> I tried using lynx in eshell and it works like a charm. However since
> lynx doesn't support frames, I like links or elinks but running these
> in eshell just outputs grabage all over the screen and I have to kill
> the eshell buffer. If there was a way to run links or elinks, it would
> be just great.

Have you tried term instead of eshell?  It supports more terminal
functionality, at the expense of not providing as much support for
buffer/text functionality.

* Re: Quite a few emacs questions
@ 2007-05-17 20:35     ` Tyler Smith
From: Tyler Smith @ 2007-05-17 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2007-05-17, mowgli <knowledgeless@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now say you have 20 entries in a dir and you type the clear command in
> eshell. Now do an ls -l mydir. This results in only the bottom 10
> entries. you do ls -l as many times you want but can never see the
> topmost 10 entries. How do you fix that? I hope I'm not confusing
> again.

You should be able to scroll up by the page with M-v and down by the page
with C-v. You can scroll up and down by a single line with C-p and
C-n. If M-v doesn't work for you, then ESC-v should do the same thing.

It would be really helpful for you to sit down and work through the
built-in tutorial. All the basics of moving around windows and buffers
is covered there. You can start it by typing
C-h i
and then just follow the instructions.

HTH,

Tyler

* Re: Quite a few emacs questions
@ 2007-05-17 21:50       ` mowgli
From: mowgli @ 2007-05-17 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 18, 1:35 am, Tyler Smith <tyler.sm...@mail.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> On 2007-05-17, mowgli <knowledgel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It would be really helpful for you to sit down and work through the
> built-in tutorial. All the basics of moving around windows and buffers
> is covered there. You can start it by typing
> C-h i
> and then just follow the instructions.

Well, I had alerady have done it before posting any questions here. I
forgot that even in the shell I have to use these keys to just list
the directory contents. It's a bit tedious though, don't you think,
when on the actual console, we need not do such things?

@ 2007-05-18  0:08         ` Tyler Smith
From: Tyler Smith @ 2007-05-18  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2007-05-17, mowgli <knowledgeless@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, I had alerady have done it before posting any questions here. I
> forgot that even in the shell I have to use these keys to just list
> the directory contents. It's a bit tedious though, don't you think,
> when on the actual console, we need not do such things?

I'm not sure what you mean - when you're running a straight console
how do you avoid having ls scroll off the screen? Other than piping it
into less, I don't know how you'd do it.

In emacs you have all kinds of ways to deal with long output. If you
don't like scrolling backwards through the output, you can type C-c
C-p, which will move you back to the last prompt, so you can scroll
forwards through the output. But if the output is longer than the
length of the screen you will have to scroll to see it all. Emacs
can't make 100 lines of output fit on a 40 line screen.

Something else you could try is C-x d, which will prompt you for the
directory you want to see. The contents of the directory are put into
a window that you can scroll up and down in, open, rename, delete,
move files, all kinds of stuff. There's a whole suite of commands
available from within this buffer, called dired-mode. You'll need to
read the manual to find out all the details.

HTH,

Tyler

* Re: Quite a few emacs questions
@ 2007-05-18  0:27           ` mowgli
From: mowgli @ 2007-05-18  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 18, 5:08 am, Tyler Smith <tyler.sm...@mail.mcgill.ca> wrote:

> I'm not sure what you mean - when you're running a straight console
> how do you avoid having ls scroll off the screen? Other than piping it
> into less, I don't know how you'd do it.

Well, I think you did not quite understand what I meant in my last
post. Or the problem itself.

When you do an ls -l in the real console, you get 25 lines of output
and it scrolls off t he screen only if the output is more than 25
lines right?

In eshell, the output scrolls off the screen even if it is 15 lines or
more. THIS is the problem.

term and shell are better and ls -l works normally as it would on
console. What's the difference between the three and which is better
featurewise?

Regards,
mowgli

@ 2007-05-18  0:33           ` mowgli
From: mowgli @ 2007-05-18  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 18, 5:08 am, Tyler Smith <tyler.sm...@mail.mcgill.ca> wrote:

> Something else you could try is C-x d, which will prompt you for the
> directory you want to see. The contents of the directory are put into
> a window that you can scroll up and down in, open, rename, delete,
> move files, all kinds of stuff. There's a whole suite of commands
> available from within this buffer, called dired-mode. You'll need to
> read the manual to find out all the details.

Thanks for this tip. This surely helped and I'll read more about this
in the info.

@ 2007-05-18  0:56             ` Tyler Smith
From: Tyler Smith @ 2007-05-18  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2007-05-18, mowgli <knowledgeless@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 18, 5:08 am, Tyler Smith <tyler.sm...@mail.mcgill.ca> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure what you mean - when you're running a straight console
>> how do you avoid having ls scroll off the screen? Other than piping it
>> into less, I don't know how you'd do it.
>
> When you do an ls -l in the real console, you get 25 lines of output
> and it scrolls off t he screen only if the output is more than 25
> lines right?
>
> In eshell, the output scrolls off the screen even if it is 15 lines or
> more. THIS is the problem.

Ok, I see what you mean now. eshell puts the next prompt in the middle
of the screen, so you lose more of the output off the top of the
screen than with shell, which puts the next prompt three-quarters of
the way down the screen. I'm sure this can be configured with
scroll-conservatively or scroll-aggressively or something, but I'm not
sure how exactly. I haven't had much luck getting scrolling tweaked
just how I like it.

> term and shell are better and ls -l works normally as it would on
> console. What's the difference between the three and which is better
> featurewise?

I don't know the answer to this, but I'm curious to learn - hopefully
someone else will fill us in.

Tyler

* Re: Quite a few emacs questions
@ 2007-05-18  7:18               ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2007-05-18  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

() Tyler Smith <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca>
() 18 May 2007 00:56:13 GMT

   I'm sure this can be configured with scroll-conservatively or
   scroll-aggressively or something, but I'm not sure how exactly.

i was not able to see the desired behavior playing w/ these variables.
however, this seems to work:

(add-hook 'eshell-output-filter-functions
          (lambda ()
            (recenter -1))
          t)

i see ";;; jww (1999-10-23): this needs testing" above two (emacs 22)
esh-mode.el funcs related to scrolling, so perhaps this is a Code
Enhancement Opportunity for the right person in the right place...

thi

* Re: Quite a few emacs questions
@ 2007-05-18  8:26                 ` mowgli
From: mowgli @ 2007-05-18  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 18, 12:18 pm, Thien-Thi Nguyen <t...@gnuvola.org> wrote:
> () Tyler Smith <tyler.sm...@mail.mcgill.ca>
> () 18 May 2007 00:56:13 GMT
>
>    I'm sure this can be configured with scroll-conservatively or
>    scroll-aggressively or something, but I'm not sure how exactly.
>
> i was not able to see the desired behavior playing w/ these variables.
> however, this seems to work:
>
> (add-hook 'eshell-output-filter-functions
>           (lambda ()
>             (recenter -1))
>           t)

Great! Thanks a lot Thi! Now only if Ctrl-L would also work so I dont
need to type clear everytime ... would be my dream come true. I think
I can map Ctrl -L to clear command? Or what do I need to do?

@ 2007-05-18 19:34                   ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2007-05-18 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mowgli; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

mowgli <knowledgeless@gmail.com> writes:

> On May 18, 12:18 pm, Thien-Thi Nguyen <t...@gnuvola.org> wrote:
>> (add-hook 'eshell-output-filter-functions
>>           (lambda ()
>>             (recenter -1))
>>           t)
>
> Great! Thanks a lot Thi! Now only if Ctrl-L would also work so I dont
> need to type clear everytime ... would be my dream come true. I think
> I can map Ctrl -L to clear command? Or what do I need to do?

I do not quite understand this, do you want the prompt at the last
line of the eshell buffer?

How about C-- C-l? (Please try giving C-l a negative argument.)

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

* Re: Quite a few emacs questions
@ 2007-05-19 11:46     ` mowgli
       [not found]       ` <mailman.855.1179579415.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: mowgli @ 2007-05-19 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 18, 12:33 am, mowgli <knowledgel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> color of choice
>
> Same for the fg color. But neither of these work. Same error:
>
> Symbol's definition function is void : highlight-current-line-set-bg-
> color
>
> > CODE:
>
> > (global-set-key (kbd "M-n") 'cyclebuffer-forward)
> > (global-set-key (kbd "M-p") 'cyclebuffer-backward)
>
> > ...in your .emacs (and eval them the same was as with the first
> > command I suggested). That should make it work.
>
> Both now work nicely. In the cyclebuffer info page, there was
> something else mentioned instead of the kbd and that was causing
> problem it seems.
>
> Thanks for the great help again. WIth all of you helping has generated
> in me more interest in emacs than before. I even printed out the GNU
> Emacs manual by Eric Raymond. Tho it seems a little outdated. Is that

Can someone please try to make the ones that do not seem to work for
me in the above post?

@ 2007-05-19 12:56       ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found]       ` <mailman.855.1179579415.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-05-19 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mowgli; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

mowgli wrote:
>>> (if window-system
>>>       (color-theme-xyz)
>>>   (color-theme-your-favorite-for-the-terminal))
>> Neither of the above works. The acutal command is M-x color-theme-
>> select , then pressing enter and selecting from the list of themes
>> normally. But even putting (color-theme-select xyz) gives the
>> following error in any case:
>>
>> Symbol's definition function is void : color-theme-euphoria

The color-theme documentation forgot to tell you to do

   (color-theme-initialize)

* Re: Quite a few emacs questions
@ 2007-05-19 21:21       ` Ian J Cottee
From: Ian J Cottee @ 2007-05-19 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tassilo Horn wrote:
> mowgli <knowledgeless@gmail.com> writes:

>> P.S.: Nice Chuk Norris jokes btw. where did you get them?
>
> I think I got them from [1], but the site seems to be down.
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo
> __________
> [1] www.k-lug.org/~kessler/cn.html

He gives credit to

http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/index.html

Where you'll find a list of them.

* Re: Quite a few emacs questions
@ 2007-05-22  4:38                   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2007-05-22  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mowgli; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

   Now only if Ctrl-L would also work so I dont need to type
   clear everytime ... would be my dream come true. I think I can
   map Ctrl -L to clear command?

Exactly, try it.

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

@ 2007-05-22  9:50         ` mowgli
From: mowgli @ 2007-05-22  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 19, 5:56 pm, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
<lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Symbol's definition function is void : color-theme-euphoria
>
> The color-theme documentation forgot to tell you to do
>
>    (color-theme-initialize)

This doesn't work either. Same above error:  Symbol's definition

@ 2007-05-22 10:53           ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found]           ` <mailman.969.1179831210.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-05-22 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mowgli; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

mowgli wrote:

>> The color-theme documentation forgot to tell you to do
>>
>>    (color-theme-initialize)
>
> This doesn't work either. Same above error:  Symbol's definition
> function is void : color-theme-euphoria

Hm, strange, that works for me with the Emacs 22 pretest. Do you have
something like this? :

   (add-to-list 'load-path  "path-to-color-theme/")
   (require 'color-theme)
   (color-theme-initialize)
   (color-theme-euphoria)

* Re: Quite a few emacs questions
@ 2007-05-22 21:45           ` Xavier Maillard
       [not found]           ` <mailman.969.1179831210.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2007-05-22 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mowgli; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   On May 19, 5:56 pm, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
   <lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:

   > >> Symbol's definition function is void : color-theme-euphoria
   >
   > The color-theme documentation forgot to tell you to do
   >
   >    (color-theme-initialize)

   This doesn't work either. Same above error:  Symbol's definition
   function is void : color-theme-euphoria

What is your color-theme version ? Here it works perfectly well
either with pretest and CVS version.

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

* Re: Quite a few emacs questions
       [not found] <mailman.1043.1179871359.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-05-23  0:50 ` mowgli
From: mowgli @ 2007-05-23  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 23, 2:45 am, Xavier Maillard <x...@gnu.org> wrote:

>    This doesn't work either. Same above error:  Symbol's definition
>    function is void : color-theme-euphoria
>
> What is your color-theme version ? Here it works perfectly well
> either with pretest and CVS version.

It's 6.5.5 , the default that comes with emacs-goodies-el on Debian
Etch stable.

@ 2007-05-23  0:58             ` mowgli
From: mowgli @ 2007-05-23  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 22, 3:53 pm, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
<lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hm, strange, that works for me with the Emacs 22 pretest. Do you have
> something like this? :
>
>    (add-to-list 'load-path  "path-to-color-theme/")
>    (require 'color-theme)
>    (color-theme-initialize)
>    (color-theme-euphoria)

This is the actual error that I get if I use the above with the actual
path to the emacs-goodies-el directory where the color-theme resides:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function color-theme-initialize)
  (color-theme-initialize)
  eval((color-theme-initialize))
  eval-last-sexp-1(nil)
  eval-last-sexp(nil)
* call-interactively(eval-last-sexp)

@ 2007-05-23  0:59 ` mowgli
From: mowgli @ 2007-05-23  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2007-05-23  9:26               ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-05-23  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mowgli; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

mowgli wrote:
> On May 22, 3:53 pm, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
> <lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hm, strange, that works for me with the Emacs 22 pretest. Do you have
>> something like this? :
>>
>>    (add-to-list 'load-path  "path-to-color-theme/")
>>    (require 'color-theme)
>>    (color-theme-initialize)
>>    (color-theme-euphoria)
>
> This is the actual error that I get if I use the above with the actual
> path to the emacs-goodies-el directory where the color-theme resides:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function color-theme-initialize)
>   (color-theme-initialize)
>   eval((color-theme-initialize))
>   eval-last-sexp-1(nil)
>   eval-last-sexp(nil)
> * call-interactively(eval-last-sexp)

That looks very strange. The function color-theme-initialize is defined
in color-theme and you have just done (require 'color-theme).

Can you first turn on Enter Debugger on Error and then do

   M-x find-library RET color-theme RET

and then look for color-theme-initialize in the file that is opened.

* Re: Quite a few emacs questions
@ 2007-05-23 21:36                 ` Allan Gottlieb
From: Allan Gottlieb @ 2007-05-23 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At Wed, 23 May 2007 11:26:45 +0200 "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:

> That looks very strange. The function color-theme-initialize is
> defined in color-theme and you have just done (require 'color-theme).
>
> Can you first turn on Enter Debugger on Error and then do
>
>   M-x find-library RET color-theme RET
>
> and then look for color-theme-initialize in the file that is opened.

I just did that and it is not there.

I have color-theme version 6.5.4 and emacs version 22.0.990.

What version are you using?

allan

* Re: Quite a few emacs questions
@ 2007-05-23 21:40                   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-05-23 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Allan Gottlieb; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Allan Gottlieb wrote:
> At Wed, 23 May 2007 11:26:45 +0200 "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> That looks very strange. The function color-theme-initialize is
>> defined in color-theme and you have just done (require 'color-theme).
>>
>> Can you first turn on Enter Debugger on Error and then do
>>
>>   M-x find-library RET color-theme RET
>>
>> and then look for color-theme-initialize in the file that is opened.
>
> I just did that and it is not there.
>
> I have color-theme version 6.5.4 and emacs version 22.0.990.
>
> What version are you using?

color-theme 6.6.0, same Emacs.

@ 2007-05-23 22:26                     ` Allan Gottlieb
From: Allan Gottlieb @ 2007-05-23 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At Wed, 23 May 2007 23:40:23 +0200 "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Allan Gottlieb wrote:
>>
>> I just did that and it is not there.
>>
>> I have color-theme version 6.5.4 and emacs version 22.0.990.
>>
>> What version are you using?
>
> color-theme 6.6.0, same Emacs.

Ah.  That explains it.  I upgraded (in gentoo-speak I added it to
package.keywords).

thanks,
allan