all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* reftex-citation doesn't ask for pages
@ 2007-05-20 18:56 Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2007-05-20 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello

I have a little problem here. Possibly I have misunderstood
something. I've made my own citation-format to make reftex work
together with biblatex:

(setq reftex-cite-format
  '((?\C-m . "\\cite[]{%l}")
   (?t    . "\\textcite[]{%l}")
   (?p    . "\\parencite[]{%l}")
   (?o    . "\\citepr[]{%l}")
   (?n    . "\\nocite{%l}")))
(setq reftex-cite-prompt-optional-args t)

I was thinking the last line makes reftex ask for the page number
after hitting C-c [, but it doesn't work. After asking me for the
cite-key, reftex inserts the cite-command with empty [], so that I
have to jump back to insert the page number manually. It's the same
when I define the cite-format with two pairs of braces.

What have I done wrong?

Thanks for help
Sven

* Re: reftex-citation doesn't ask for pages
       [not found] <mailman.885.1179687397.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-05-20 20:24 ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2007-05-20 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Sven Bretfeld (2007-05-20) writes:

> (setq reftex-cite-prompt-optional-args t)
>
> I was thinking the last line makes reftex ask for the page number
> after hitting C-c [, but it doesn't work. After asking me for the
> cite-key, reftex inserts the cite-command with empty [], so that I
> have to jump back to insert the page number manually. It's the same
> when I define the cite-format with two pairs of braces.
>
> What have I done wrong?

You forgot to include information about which versions of Emacs and
RefTeX you are using.  FWIW, your code is working fine with CVS Emacs
and RefTeX 4.32.

--
Ralf

* Re: reftex-citation doesn't ask for pages
@ 2007-05-20 22:47   ` Sven Bretfeld
       [not found]     ` <mailman.894.1179701380.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2007-05-20 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 10:24:23PM +0200, Ralf Angeli wrote:
> * Sven Bretfeld (2007-05-20) writes:
>
> > (setq reftex-cite-prompt-optional-args t)
> >
> > I was thinking the last line makes reftex ask for the page number
> > after hitting C-c [, but it doesn't work. After asking me for the
> > cite-key, reftex inserts the cite-command with empty [], so that I
> > have to jump back to insert the page number manually. It's the same
> > when I define the cite-format with two pairs of braces.
> >
> > What have I done wrong?
>
> You forgot to include information about which versions of Emacs and
> RefTeX you are using.  FWIW, your code is working fine with CVS Emacs
> and RefTeX 4.32.

Oh, I'm sorry. That might already be the explanation of the problem. I
have Emacs 21.4.1 from the main repository of Debian Etch. The
included Reftex version seems to be 4.00.

Is there a chance to get what I want with this version?

Thanks,

@ 2007-05-20 22:49     ` Sven Bretfeld
       [not found]     ` <mailman.894.1179701380.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2007-05-20 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 12:47:16AM +0200, Sven Bretfeld wrote:
> The included Reftex version seems to be 4.00.

Correction, it's version 4.15.

> Is there a chance to get what I want with this version?
>
> Thanks,
> Sven

PS: Bitte schicken Sie mir reine Text-Nachrichten. Bitte schicken Sie
mir keine Word-, PowerPoint- oder Excel-Dateien. Sehen Sie dazu bitte
auch http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.de.html.

@ 2007-05-21  6:03       ` Ralf Angeli
       [not found]         ` <mailman.903.1179743642.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2007-05-21  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Sven Bretfeld (2007-05-21) writes:

> On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 12:47:16AM +0200, Sven Bretfeld wrote:
>> The included Reftex version seems to be 4.00.
>
> Correction, it's version 4.15.
>
>> Is there a chance to get what I want with this version?

I don't think so, since that version does not even include
`reftex-cite-prompt-optional-args' as a variable.  Didn't you use the
documentation which was made for your particular version?  It is
accessible with `C-h i d m reftex RET'.

--
Ralf

* Re: reftex-citation doesn't ask for pages
@ 2007-05-21 10:33         ` Sven Bretfeld
       [not found]         ` <mailman.903.1179743642.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2007-05-21 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Ralf

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 08:03:43AM +0200, Ralf Angeli wrote:
> I don't think so, since that version does not even include
> `reftex-cite-prompt-optional-args' as a variable.  Didn't you use the
> documentation which was made for your particular version?  It is
> accessible with `C-h i d m reftex RET'.

You know, there is this licence problem with Debian and the Emacs
documentation. I just came to know that the info files are
available from the unfree repository. Before, I downloaded the reftex
documentation from the project's homepage. Unfortunately, I have
caught the wrong one.

I think I will download reftex from CVS. Do you know if it's possible
to install the package in a local home folder, altough an older of the
same package version is already installed in the system wide
site-lisp? Or would it be better to remove (or rename) the reftex
folder in /usr/share/...?

Thanks for the Infos

Sven

@ 2007-05-21 11:34           ` Seweryn Kokot
From: Seweryn Kokot @ 2007-05-21 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:

> Hi Ralf
>
> On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 08:03:43AM +0200, Ralf Angeli wrote:
>> I don't think so, since that version does not even include
>> `reftex-cite-prompt-optional-args' as a variable.  Didn't you use the
>> documentation which was made for your particular version?  It is
>> accessible with `C-h i d m reftex RET'.
>
> You know, there is this licence problem with Debian and the Emacs
> documentation. I just came to know that the info files are
> available from the unfree repository. Before, I downloaded the reftex
> documentation from the project's homepage. Unfortunately, I have
> caught the wrong one.
>
> I think I will download reftex from CVS. Do you know if it's possible
> to install the package in a local home folder, altough an older of the
> same package version is already installed in the system wide
> site-lisp? Or would it be better to remove (or rename) the reftex
> folder in /usr/share/...?

Another possibility is to get the weekly snapshot, see
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsCvsAndDebian
for details. The mainainter is the same but now because of license
problem, he builds emacs-snapshot packages out of debian.

regards,
Seweryn Kokot

@ 2007-05-21 12:34           ` Gernot Hassenpflug
From: Gernot Hassenpflug @ 2007-05-21 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:

> Hi Ralf
>
> On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 08:03:43AM +0200, Ralf Angeli wrote:
>> I don't think so, since that version does not even include
>> `reftex-cite-prompt-optional-args' as a variable.  Didn't you use the
>> documentation which was made for your particular version?  It is
>> accessible with `C-h i d m reftex RET'.
>
> You know, there is this licence problem with Debian and the Emacs
> documentation. I just came to know that the info files are
> available from the unfree repository. Before, I downloaded the reftex
> documentation from the project's homepage. Unfortunately, I have
> caught the wrong one.
>
> I think I will download reftex from CVS. Do you know if it's possible
> to install the package in a local home folder, altough an older of the
> same package version is already installed in the system wide
> site-lisp? Or would it be better to remove (or rename) the reftex
> folder in /usr/share/...?
>
> Thanks for the Infos

Hi, this is my info, from current emacs-snapshot-gtk for GNU/linux
Debian unstable for i386 architecture. Probably you will get it also
if you install.

,----
| Emacs is the extensible, customizable, self-documenting real-time
| display editor.  This Info file describes how to edit with Emacs and
| some of how to customize it; it corresponds to GNU Emacs version
| 22.0.95.
`----

My reftex version there, mmm, not given by the info file (maybe it
should be? like emacs and gnus say... if so, I might submit a bug
report), no reftex-* commands until I load the module usinga .tex
file, then I get

,----
| reftex-version is a variable defined in `reftex.el'.
| Its value is
| "RefTeX version 4.31"
`----

Looks good. No need to download and install. If you really do need to
add local stuff to replace built-in versions, probably a reasonable
way is as follows:

1. make a .emacs-<your package> file and put it in a directory that
you back up.

2. in that file, modify the load-path emacs uses (prepend). OK, I
suspect there are better ways.

3. load that file from the .emacs (.emacs.el{c}) local startup file.

Hope I don't incur too much wrath for that idea, but if so, the only
stupid question is the one not asked :-)
--
Grrr!!  ...Pick a reason...

@ 2007-05-21 20:42           ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2007-05-21 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Sven Bretfeld (2007-05-21) writes:

> I think I will download reftex from CVS.

There is a standalone release (4.32 at the moment) as well.  See
<URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/reftex.html>.  So no need to
tinker with CVS.

> Do you know if it's possible
> to install the package in a local home folder, altough an older of the
> same package version is already installed in the system wide
> site-lisp? Or would it be better to remove (or rename) the reftex
> folder in /usr/share/...?

Personally I'm actually using a CVS RefTeX installed in /usr/local as a
replacement for the one which comes with Emacs without deleting or
renaming anything.

--
Ralf

* No TeX-master file recognized in CVS Emacs [was: reftex-citation doesn't ask for pages]
@ 2007-05-22 19:20             ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2007-05-22 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

Sorry for my late reply. I had no email for some time. From my new
subject header you can guess what I did in the meantime.

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 01:34:22PM +0200, Seweryn Kokot wrote:

> Another possibility is to get the weekly snapshot, see
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsCvsAndDebian
> for details. The mainainter is the same but now because of license
> problem, he builds emacs-snapshot packages out of debian.

That's what I did yesterday. Although I have been extremely silly and
spoiled my system by doing really stupid things when replacing
Emacs 21 by CVS, I have succeeded at last so that I'm running the CVS
snapshot under a freshly installed Etch now.

Now, I have a strage problem. When I try to run Latex via C-c C-c from
a buffer with an included document I get an "undefined control
sequence 1.1. \chapter" message from Latex.

Its seems that Emacs doesn't know about the master file and tries to
run latex on the document shown in the buffer (therefore latex is
missing the \begin{document}). I have no idea what the problem is. Was
there a change in the CVS version that escaped my attention? Do I have
to inform Emacs about the TeX-master in a different way now?  However,
the file is parsed, because flyspell is on due to the "%%% mode:
flyspell" line at the end. Only the line "%%% TeX-master: foo" seems
to have no effect. The file worked before with Emacs 21.

Can this be a problem because I use the older auctex package of the
Debian repository?

Thanks for help,
Sven

* Re: No TeX-master file recognized in CVS Emacs [was: reftex-citation doesn't ask for pages]
@ 2007-05-22 21:07               ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2007-05-22 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello to all

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 09:20:47PM +0200, Sven Bretfeld wrote:

> Its seems that Emacs doesn't know about the master file and tries to
> run latex on the document shown in the buffer (therefore latex is
> missing the \begin{document}). I have no idea what the problem is. Was
> there a change in the CVS version that escaped my attention? Do I have
> to inform Emacs about the TeX-master in a different way now?  However,
> the file is parsed, because flyspell is on due to the "%%% mode:
> flyspell" line at the end. Only the line "%%% TeX-master: foo" seems
> to have no effect.

I've figured it out by experimenting. The problem was the bottom of
the file where emacs stores information for parsing. (I don't know the
exact nomenclature for these %%% lines). The following had worked
under Emacs 21:

%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: flyspell
%%% TeX-master: "habil"
%%% End:

The second line starts flyspell automatically on loading the file, as
I once found out. Emacs from CVS on the other hand misses the line

%%% mode: latex

although LateX is correctly recognized as the major mode). After I
replaced "flyspell" by "latex" it worked again.

Thanks for pointing me to Emacs from CVS. It's stable as far as I can
tell, and it containes many useful new functions.

* Re: No TeX-master file recognized in CVS Emacs
@ 2007-05-22 21:24                 ` Seweryn Kokot
From: Seweryn Kokot @ 2007-05-22 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:

> I've figured it out by experimenting. The problem was the bottom of
> the file where emacs stores information for parsing. (I don't know the
> exact nomenclature for these %%% lines). The following had worked
> under Emacs 21:
>
> %%% Local Variables:
> %%% mode: flyspell
> %%% TeX-master: "habil"
> %%% End:
>
> The second line starts flyspell automatically on loading the file, as
> I once found out. Emacs from CVS on the other hand misses the line
>
> %%% mode: latex
I have this line in my .tex files

> although LateX is correctly recognized as the major mode). After I
> replaced "flyspell" by "latex" it worked again.
>
> Thanks for pointing me to Emacs from CVS. It's stable as far as I can
> tell, and it containes many useful new functions.

In fact I switched from 21.4 to Emacs 22 four half a year ago when I
wanted to use msf-abbrev package which only works on Emacs CVS and
didn't have any problems with stability. New features are really worth
of it. Not to mention that Emacs 22 will be released soon.

regards,
Seweryn