all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* NTEmacs + plink
@ 2007-05-17  1:03 gamename
From: gamename @ 2007-05-17  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I'm trying to use plink for my ssh connections under NTEmacs.
Unfortunately, it simply asks for my password over and over again.
Eventually, the number of attempts are exceeded and access is
denied.

>From what I read, it is specific to plink somehow munging the password
string prior to sending it to the ssh server.  For whatever reason,
plink simply doesn't work for me via emacs or the cli unless I use the
"-pw" switch and send my password in the clear.  I've tried various
combinations of the other switches ( agent/noagent/ssh versions) and
none of them make any difference.

Is there any other way to do ssh on windows from NTEmacs?  So far,
plink plux.

-T

* Re: NTEmacs + plink
@ 2007-05-17  3:21 ` Eli Zaretskii
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-05-17  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: gamename <namesagame-usenet@yahoo.com>
> Date: 16 May 2007 18:03:54 -0700
>
> I'm trying to use plink for my ssh connections under NTEmacs.
> Unfortunately, it simply asks for my password over and over again.
> Eventually, the number of attempts are exceeded and access is
> denied.

It works for me, but I'm using a pretest of Emacs 22.1 (you didn't say
what version you have).

* Re: NTEmacs + plink
@ 2007-05-17  4:11 ` Eric Hanchrow
       [not found] ` <mailman.755.1179372587.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2007-05-17  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    gamename> Hi, I'm trying to use plink for my ssh connections under
    gamename> NTEmacs.  Unfortunately, it simply asks for my password
    gamename> over and over again.  Eventually, the number of attempts
    gamename> are exceeded and access is denied.

I'd certainly try using pageant
(http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/latest/x86/pageant.exe), if you
can use public-key authentication.

--
Keaton, Chaplin, Garbo - let them now make room for Gromit.
        A. O. Scott, in The New York Times

* Re: NTEmacs + plink
       [not found] ` <mailman.755.1179372587.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-05-17 17:13   ` gamename
       [not found]     ` <mailman.779.1179424200.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: gamename @ 2007-05-17 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 16, 8:21 pm, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: gamename <namesagame-use...@yahoo.com>
> > Date: 16 May 2007 18:03:54 -0700
>
> > I'm trying to use plink for my ssh connections under NTEmacs.
> > Unfortunately, it simply asks for my password over and over again.
> > Eventually, the number of attempts are exceeded and access is
> > denied.
>
> It works for me, but I'm using a pretest of Emacs 22.1 (you didn't say
> what version you have).
Ooops.  Its:
GNU Emacs 22.0.96.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-03-21 on
LENNART-69DE564 (patched)

* Re: NTEmacs + plink
@ 2007-05-17 17:41     ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found]     ` <mailman.779.1179424200.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-05-17 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gamename; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

gamename wrote:
> On May 16, 8:21 pm, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
>>> From: gamename <namesagame-use...@yahoo.com>
>>> Date: 16 May 2007 18:03:54 -0700
>>> I'm trying to use plink for my ssh connections under NTEmacs.
>>> Unfortunately, it simply asks for my password over and over again.
>>> Eventually, the number of attempts are exceeded and access is
>>> denied.
>> It works for me, but I'm using a pretest of Emacs 22.1 (you didn't say
>> what version you have).
> Ooops.  Its:
> GNU Emacs 22.0.96.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-03-21 on
> LENNART-69DE564 (patched)

Then it might be due to a problem with an old test I unfortunately
removed incompletely. I removed it in the version released two days
after the date of your version when I got aware of the problem.

Could you please try a newer version?

* Re: NTEmacs + plink
       [not found]     ` <mailman.779.1179424200.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-05-18 15:09       ` gamename
From: gamename @ 2007-05-18 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 17, 10:41 am, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
<lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> gamename wrote:
> >> It works for me, but I'm using a pretest of Emacs 22.1 (you didn't say
> >> what version you have).
> > Ooops.  Its:
> > GNU Emacs 22.0.96.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-03-21 on
> > LENNART-69DE564 (patched)
>
> Then it might be due to a problem with an old test I unfortunately
> removed incompletely. I removed it in the version released two days
> after the date of your version when I got aware of the problem.
>
> Could you please try a newer version?

Sure. I'll do that.  Plink version or Emacs version?

-T

* Re: NTEmacs + plink
       [not found]     ` <mailman.779.1179424200.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-05-18 15:29       ` gamename
From: gamename @ 2007-05-18 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 17, 10:41 am, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
<lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> gamename wrote:
> >> It works for me, but I'm using a pretest of Emacs 22.1 (you didn't say
> >> what version you have).
> > Ooops.  Its:
> > GNU Emacs 22.0.96.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-03-21 on
> > LENNART-69DE564 (patched)
>
> Then it might be due to a problem with an old test I unfortunately
> removed incompletely. I removed it in the version released two days
> after the date of your version when I got aware of the problem.
>
> Could you please try a newer version?

I tried upgrading both.  No joy.  Same problem, same symptoms.
Here are my current versions:

PuTTY Link: command-line connection utility
Development snapshot 2007-05-18:r7566

GNU Emacs 22.0.99.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-05-01 on
LENNART-69DE564 (patched)

* Re: NTEmacs + plink
@ 2007-05-18 17:19         ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]         ` <mailman.815.1179510415.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-05-18 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: gamename <namesagame-usenet@yahoo.com>
> Date: 18 May 2007 08:29:44 -0700
>
> I tried upgrading both.  No joy.  Same problem, same symptoms.
> Here are my current versions:
>
> PuTTY Link: command-line connection utility
> Development snapshot 2007-05-18:r7566
>
> GNU Emacs 22.0.99.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-05-01 on
> LENNART-69DE564 (patched)

Then please describe in detail how do you establish the ssh
connection.  Please describe the PuTTY setup as well (i.e. what kind
of key you use to login).

Btw, does it work to login to the same machine from the PuTTY window?
That is, can you establish an interactive session to the same machine?

* Re: NTEmacs + plink
@ 2007-05-18 17:46         ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found]         ` <mailman.815.1179510415.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-05-18 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gamename; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

gamename wrote:
> On May 17, 10:41 am, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
> <lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> gamename wrote:
>>> Ooops.  Its:
>>> GNU Emacs 22.0.96.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-03-21 on
>>> LENNART-69DE564 (patched)
>> Then it might be due to a problem with an old test I unfortunately
>> removed incompletely. I removed it in the version released two days
>> after the date of your version when I got aware of the problem.
>>
>> Could you please try a newer version?
>
> I tried upgrading both.  No joy.  Same problem, same symptoms.
> Here are my current versions:
>
> PuTTY Link: command-line connection utility
> Development snapshot 2007-05-18:r7566
>
> GNU Emacs 22.0.99.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-05-01 on
> LENNART-69DE564 (patched)

I know of know differences now in the patched and unpatched version that
should affect this, but still, I might be missing something. Could you
please try the unpatched version too?

* Re: NTEmacs + plink
       [not found]         ` <mailman.815.1179510415.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-05-31  4:46           ` Poti Giannakouros
From: Poti Giannakouros @ 2007-05-31  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 18, 1:46 pm, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
<lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> gamename wrote:
> > On May 17, 10:41 am, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
> > <lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Then it might be due to a problem with an old test I unfortunately
> >> removed incompletely. I removed it in the version released two days
> >> after the date of your version when I got aware of the problem.
>
> >> Could you please try a newer version?
>
> > I tried upgrading both.  No joy.  Same problem, same symptoms.
> > Here are my current versions:
>
> > PuTTY Link: command-line connection utility
> > Development snapshot 2007-05-18:r7566
>
> > GNU Emacs 22.0.99.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-05-01 on
> > LENNART-69DE564 (patched)
>
> I know of know differences now in the patched and unpatched version that
> should affect this, but still, I might be missing something. Could you
> please try the unpatched version too?

If it helps, I am having the same problem with

GNU Emacs 22.0.990.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2007-05-20 on NEUTRINO

* Re: NTEmacs + plink
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.755.1179372587.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-05-31  6:32 ` Kamen TOMOV
From: Kamen TOMOV @ 2007-05-31  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On четвъртък, Май 17 2007, gamename wrote:

> I'm trying to use plink for my ssh connections under NTEmacs.
> Unfortunately, it simply asks for my password over and over again.
> Eventually, the number of attempts are exceeded and access is
> denied.

Try EmacsW32 http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html
It works with the PuTTY package.

* Re: NTEmacs + plink
@ 2007-05-31  9:31             ` Jason Rumney
       [not found]               ` <mailman.1450.1180628072.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jason Rumney @ 2007-05-31  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 31 May, 05:46, Poti Giannakouros <l...@potis.org> wrote:
> On May 18, 1:46 pm, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"

> If it helps, I am having the same problem with

How are you, and the original poster, invoking plink?

I have seen buffering problems that prevent the password prompt from
coming up when plink is invoked indirectly, via some other program
such as cvs. This may also affect some shells.

Personally I use public keys and pageant to avoid the problem.

* Re: NTEmacs + plink
@ 2007-05-31 16:13               ` poti
       [not found]               ` <mailman.1450.1180628072.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: poti @ 2007-05-31 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 02:31 Thu 31 May     , Jason Rumney wrote:
> On 31 May, 05:46, Poti Giannakouros <l...@potis.org> wrote:
> > On May 18, 1:46 pm, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
>
> > If it helps, I am having the same problem with
>
> How are you, and the original poster, invoking plink?
I use M-x shell and invoke plink from there. This is on Windows NT.
After typing plink host.domain at the shell prompt,
I am sent to the minibuffer, where problems are already apparent.
The dots echoing my keyboard entry appear on a second line in the
minibuffer, then after a couple of keystrokes, they collapse to a single
line. After the host times out my attempts, it seems I am still prompted
for a password until I escape. At that point, fragments of my password
show up in the shell buffer. I can document this behaviour more carefully
if this is not enough.

This also affects pscp.

> I have seen buffering problems that prevent the password prompt from
> coming up when plink is invoked indirectly, via some other program
> such as cvs. This may also affect some shells.
>
> Personally I use public keys and pageant to avoid the problem.

This is not an option for me because my intention is to distribute Emacs
to be run from a DVD, see http://potis.org/software/livedvd .
Thus, the base functionality has to be self-contained and tailored to the
working environment I am setting up, not to any particular user.

* Re: NTEmacs + plink
       [not found]               ` <mailman.1450.1180628072.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-05-31 20:57                 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2007-05-31 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 31 May, 17:13, p...@potis.org wrote:

> I use M-x shell and invoke plink from there. This is on Windows NT.

OK. I tried this and ran into the same problem. It appears to be a
problem with the line endings passed to plink by comint-watch-for-
password-prompt.

Using eshell rather than shell, I was able to get it to work by using
C-q RET at the end of the password. But the same trick did not work
with shell.

* Re: NTEmacs + plink
@ 2007-06-06  3:39   ` poti
From: poti @ 2007-06-06  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 09:32 Thu 31 May     , Kamen TOMOV wrote:
> On ?????????, ??? 17 2007, gamename wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to use plink for my ssh connections under NTEmacs.
> > Unfortunately, it simply asks for my password over and over again.
> > Eventually, the number of attempts are exceeded and access is
> > denied.
>

> Try EmacsW32 http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html
> It works with the PuTTY package.

I am using
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
and
PuTTY Link: command-line connection utility
Release 0.60

Trying
GNU Emacs 22.0.990.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2007-05-23 on LENNART-69DE564 (patched)
as installed by the EmacsW32 installer, with
Windows Integration of EmacsClient not selected.

I get exactly the same behavior.
I am not sure if this is related, but I also fail to get
a prompt when using Octave, which causes octave inferior
process not to work.
-Poti

* Re: NTEmacs + plink
@ 2007-06-10 21:44   ` poti
From: poti @ 2007-06-10 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 06:21 Thu 17 May     , Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: gamename <namesagame-usenet@yahoo.com>
> > Date: 16 May 2007 18:03:54 -0700
> >
> > I'm trying to use plink for my ssh connections under NTEmacs.
> > Unfortunately, it simply asks for my password over and over again.
> > Eventually, the number of attempts are exceeded and access is
> > denied.
>
> It works for me, but I'm using a pretest of Emacs 22.1 (you didn't say
> what version you have).

Eli, have you done any additional configuration to your shell modes?
I am now using
GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2007-06-02 on RELEASE
 and the problem persists, with shell not working at all and eshell
 requiring C-q <return> .

 Following up a comment in this thread regarding
 comint-watch-for-password-prompt I tried adding this to
 Aplication Data/_emacs, but the problem was not affected.
 (defun shell-mode-settings ()
   (add-hook 'comint-output-filter-functions
             'comint-watch-for-password-prompt nil t)
   (add-hook 'comint-output-filter-functions
   'comint-strip-ctrl-m nil t)
   (setq tab-width 8))

(add-hook 'shell-mode-hook
'shell-mode-settings)

 As a side note, when I do get through with
 eshell, all lines are encased in ^[[00m and similar characters. TERM is
 xterm. Is there a better setting for emacs?

* Re: NTEmacs + plink
@ 2007-06-10 22:13     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-06-10 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 17:44:02 -0400
> From: poti@potis.org
>
> On 06:21 Thu 17 May     , Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > > From: gamename <namesagame-usenet@yahoo.com>
> > > Date: 16 May 2007 18:03:54 -0700
> > >
> > > I'm trying to use plink for my ssh connections under NTEmacs.
> > > Unfortunately, it simply asks for my password over and over again.
> > > Eventually, the number of attempts are exceeded and access is
> > > denied.
> >
> > It works for me, but I'm using a pretest of Emacs 22.1 (you didn't say
> > what version you have).
>
> Eli, have you done any additional configuration to your shell modes?

No.  But it sounds I misunderstood the situation: I don't use ssh via
shell-mode, I use it via Tramp to access remote files and run commands
on remote systems.

* Re: NTEmacs + plink
@ 2007-06-11  5:46       ` poti
From: poti @ 2007-06-11  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 01:13 Mon 11 Jun     , Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > > It works for me, but I'm using a pretest of Emacs 22.1 (you didn't say
> > > what version you have).
> >
> > Eli, have you done any additional configuration to your shell modes?
>
> No.  But it sounds I misunderstood the situation: I don't use ssh via
> shell-mode, I use it via Tramp to access remote files and run commands
> on remote systems.

I have many difficulties with tramp. I use a non-standard ssh port and
have hosts behind firewalls. From Windows something like
/ssh:me@my.host.org#3322:/home/me/.emacs or
/ssh://me@my.host.org#3322:/home/me/.emacs or
/ssh://me@my.host.org:3322:/home/me/.emacs
also with plink: instead of ssh:, etc.
does not work.
>From Gentoo,
/ssh:my.host.org#2222:/home/me/.emacs
works fine.
But from Gentoo, multi-hop, and proxy do not work. Those are for another
post, once I am sure I have exhausted all documentation and permutations
for doing things.

* Re: NTEmacs + plink
@ 2007-06-12 19:58         ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2007-06-12 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: poti; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

poti@potis.org writes:

> I have many difficulties with tramp. I use a non-standard ssh port and
> have hosts behind firewalls. From Windows something like
> /ssh:me@my.host.org#3322:/home/me/.emacs or

That shall work, better even with plink.

Passing firewalls depend on how you want to do it. Tramp 2.1 (not part
of Emacs 22.1) has introduced gateway methods, which are intented for
HTTP tunnels or socks servers. But you could also configure HTTP tunnels
directly in PuTTY, I guess.

If it is something else, just tell me the kind of hops you need. We
could find the corresponding Tramp configuration then.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: NTEmacs + plink
@ 2007-06-12 23:44           ` poti
From: poti @ 2007-06-12 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 21:58 Tue 12 Jun     , Michael Albinus wrote:
> poti@potis.org writes:
>
> > I have many difficulties with tramp. I use a non-standard ssh port and
> > have hosts behind firewalls. From Windows something like
> > /ssh:me@my.host.org#3322:/home/me/.emacs or
>
> That shall work, better even with plink.
>
> Passing firewalls depend on how you want to do it. Tramp 2.1 (not part
> of Emacs 22.1) has introduced gateway methods, which are intented for
> HTTP tunnels or socks servers. But you could also configure HTTP tunnels
> directly in PuTTY, I guess.
>
> If it is something else, just tell me the kind of hops you need. We
> could find the corresponding Tramp configuration then.

The line you quoted does in fact work from Windows. I did not have
.emacs in that particular directory, causing some confusion.

I have sent what appears to be a tramp specific problem in opening a remote
directory to tramp-devel. Other than that, single hop seems to work.

However, I still cannot figure out multi hop. Using
/multi:plink:me@my.host.org#3322:me@host.org:/home/me/realfile.txt
gets as far as
Tramp:  Found remote shell prompt on `plink'
and then hangs emacs hard-- the window does not redraw in Windows and I
must kill the process from task manager.

Adding
(add-to-list 'tramp-default-proxies-alist
	     '("host\\.org#3322" nil "/plink:me@my.host.org#3322:"))

(with or without the port numbers) to _emacs causes
/plink:me@host.org#3322:/home/me/realfile.txt
to get as far as
Tramp: Opening connection for me@host.org#3322 using plink
before hanging emacs in a similar way (waited more than 6 minutes to
be sure).
One difference is that in this crash, EMACS.EXE is taking 50% of cpu
time, whereas in the previous it was idle and taking about 2K more
memory.

As my network is configured at the moment, the only service available is
ssh. I can exchange keys between my.host.org and host.org, but not from
the lab XP machines to anywhere else.

I have the following in _emacs, and the startup sequence echoes the load
command, so it is being read:

(add-to-list 'load-path "C:/tramp/lisp")
(load "C:/tramp/lisp/tramp.el")
(setq tramp-default-method "plink")

(nconc (cadr (assq 'tramp-login-args (assoc "plink" tramp-methods)))
       '(("bash" "-i")))
       (setcdr (assq 'tramp-remote-sh (assoc "plink" tramp-methods))
       	'("bash -i"))

	(setq tramp-debug-buffer t)
	(setq tramp-verbose 10)
tram-bug reports this:
Emacs  : GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2007-06-02 on RELEASE
 Package: tramp (2.0.55)
 but the files in C:/tramp are 2.1.9

On Gentoo, using a suitably modified equivalent .emacs file, I first get
an error that trampver could not be loaded. In fact, this was not
created until I ran ./configure. Then I got the error
Symbol's value as variable is void: tramp-gw-tunnel-method
this is true on OSX emacs 22.0.52.1 as well as Gentoo x86 Emacs 21.4.1.
make fails on OSX. On another Gentoo machine with Emacs 22.1 and
tramp-2.1.9-r1 installed through the package manager, I have many
many more apparently unrelated problems.

I also tried this with a cross port of tramp to Windows using mingw32
and my x86 Gentoo machine, but still failed in the same way.

* Re: NTEmacs + plink
@ 2007-06-13 10:50             ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2007-06-13 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: poti; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

poti@potis.org writes:

> However, I still cannot figure out multi hop. Using
> /multi:plink:me@my.host.org#3322:me@host.org:/home/me/realfile.txt
> gets as far as
> Tramp:  Found remote shell prompt on `plink'
> and then hangs emacs hard-- the window does not redraw in Windows and I
> must kill the process from task manager.

That is Tramp 2.0 style.

> Adding
> (add-to-list 'tramp-default-proxies-alist
> 	     '("host\\.org#3322" nil "/plink:me@my.host.org#3322:"))
>
> (with or without the port numbers) to _emacs causes
> /plink:me@host.org#3322:/home/me/realfile.txt
> to get as far as
> Tramp: Opening connection for me@host.org#3322 using plink
> before hanging emacs in a similar way (waited more than 6 minutes to
> be sure).

That is Tramp 2.1.

Which Tramp version are you using? I thought 2.1.9?

> I have the following in _emacs, and the startup sequence echoes the load
> command, so it is being read:
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "C:/tramp/lisp")
> (load "C:/tramp/lisp/tramp.el")
> (setq tramp-default-method "plink")
>
> (nconc (cadr (assq 'tramp-login-args (assoc "plink" tramp-methods)))
>        '(("bash" "-i")))
>        (setcdr (assq 'tramp-remote-sh (assoc "plink" tramp-methods))
>        	'("bash -i"))

I don't know whether it is a good idea to set bash. Why do you need it?

> 	(setq tramp-debug-buffer t)
> 	(setq tramp-verbose 10)

That's good. In the debug buffer, you might see what Tramp is
doing. Al the chatting with the remote host. Did you check it?
Otherwise, you could send the debug buffer for more investigations.

> tram-bug reports this:
> Emacs  : GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
>  of 2007-06-02 on RELEASE
>  Package: tramp (2.0.55)
>  but the files in C:/tramp are 2.1.9

I have the strong feeling that you have installed Tramp without
calling ./configure ...

> On Gentoo, using a suitably modified equivalent .emacs file, I first get
> an error that trampver could not be loaded. In fact, this was not
> created until I ran ./configure. Then I got the error

Same as above. ./configure is a must.

> Symbol's value as variable is void: tramp-gw-tunnel-method
> this is true on OSX emacs 22.0.52.1 as well as Gentoo x86 Emacs 21.4.1.

Yes, gateway methods work (as of today) only with Emacs 22.1. I didn't
hide the respective variables properly, fixed in CVS meanwhile. But
this is hopefully a warning only?

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: NTEmacs + plink
@ 2007-06-13 20:39               ` poti
From: poti @ 2007-06-13 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 12:50 Wed 13 Jun     , Michael Albinus wrote:
> poti@potis.org writes:
> > Adding
> > (add-to-list 'tramp-default-proxies-alist
> > 	     '("host\\.org#3322" nil "/plink:me@my.host.org#3322:"))
> >
> > (with or without the port numbers) to _emacs causes
> > /plink:me@host.org#3322:/home/me/realfile.txt
> > to get as far as
> > Tramp: Opening connection for me@host.org#3322 using plink
> > before hanging emacs in a similar way (waited more than 6 minutes to
> > be sure).
>
> That is Tramp 2.1.
>
> Which Tramp version are you using? I thought 2.1.9?
Yes, it is 2.1.9.

> > I have the following in _emacs, and the startup sequence echoes the load
> > command, so it is being read:
> >
> > (add-to-list 'load-path "C:/tramp/lisp")
> > (load "C:/tramp/lisp/tramp.el")
> > (setq tramp-default-method "plink")
> >
> > (nconc (cadr (assq 'tramp-login-args (assoc "plink" tramp-methods)))
> >        '(("bash" "-i")))
> >        (setcdr (assq 'tramp-remote-sh (assoc "plink" tramp-methods))
> >        	'("bash -i"))
>
> I don't know whether it is a good idea to set bash. Why do you need it?
My login shell is bash. Without this, I do not get past the opening
connection prompt.

> > 	(setq tramp-debug-buffer t)
> > 	(setq tramp-verbose 10)
>
> That's good. In the debug buffer, you might see what Tramp is
> doing. Al the chatting with the remote host. Did you check it?
> Otherwise, you could send the debug buffer for more investigations.
I am working on this. Given that Emacs is locking up, I need to
find something for tramp to do so I can have the buffer up in anticipation
of the freeze. See more bellow though.

> > Symbol's value as variable is void: tramp-gw-tunnel-method
> > this is true on OSX emacs 22.0.52.1 as well as Gentoo x86 Emacs 21.4.1.
>
> Yes, gateway methods work (as of today) only with Emacs 22.1. I didn't
> hide the respective variables properly, fixed in CVS meanwhile. But
> this is hopefully a warning only?
On OSX, Make failed, but ./configure only had warnings. After running
configure, the warning and problem went away. Now I can get through,
including directory listings, provided I used authorized_keys. I have
different passwords on the two hops and cannot get to the second hop
using passwords. Looking through the long debug output, I see that after
the successful first hop there appears to be a process that is repeated
ten times. Here is the line I was watching for to count 10:

16:10:00 tramp-accept-process-output (10) # *tramp/ssh me@second.hop.org* run

This was followed variously by blanks or the prompt from the first hop on the
next line, but the last two were apparently the standard

Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive).^M

I can send details here or off list if this is useful.

Thank you for your patient help. Seeing a successful multi-hop
connection helps me a lot on working out the problems in Windows,
which remain and which I will return to after a break.

-Poti

* Re: NTEmacs + plink
@ 2007-06-13 21:07                 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2007-06-13 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: poti; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

poti@potis.org writes:

> On OSX, Make failed, but ./configure only had warnings. After running
> configure, the warning and problem went away. Now I can get through,
> including directory listings, provided I used authorized_keys. I have
> different passwords on the two hops and cannot get to the second hop
> using passwords. Looking through the long debug output, I see that after
> the successful first hop there appears to be a process that is repeated
> ten times. Here is the line I was watching for to count 10:
>
> 16:10:00 tramp-accept-process-output (10) # *tramp/ssh me@second.hop.org* run
>
> This was followed variously by blanks or the prompt from the first hop on the
> next line, but the last two were apparently the standard
>
> Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive).^M
>
> I can send details here or off list if this is useful.

You might send me the debug buffer and the connection buffer off the
list; they are too long for the public. For your own analysis, check all
debug messages of level (6). They should show you exactly the strings
sent and received during connection (except passwords). Maybe you find
something useful. Debug messages with a greater level would need more
knowledge of Tramp for analysis.

> -Poti

Best regards, Michael.