David Kastrup skrev: > "Herbert Euler" writes: > >>> When doing something like C-h f for a function, one gets displayed a >>> hyperlink to the corresponding source file. >>> >>> Now there is not rarely the situation that one actually wants not to >>> go to the Elisp file in load-path, but rather the actual source file. >>> >>> It happens that .elc files have a header similar to the following: >>> >>> ;ELC. >>> ;;; Compiled by dak@lola.quinscape.zz on Mon May 14 12:09:35 2007 >>> ;;; from file /rep/emacs/lisp/gnus/mml2015.el >>> ;;; in Emacs version 23.0.51 >>> ;;; with all optimizations. >>> >>> The information is sufficient for determining whether the compilation >>> happened on the current machine by the current user, and if so, what >>> the actual source file has been. >>> >>> So in this particular case, I'd prefer if, without further >>> configuration and ado, I'd be landed in the corresponding source file >>> if it is still present on the given machine. >>> >>> Since I have several packages I build and install from the respective >>> CVS source archives, having this work automatically would be quite >>> nice. >> I agree. M-. now always creates buffers like "subr.el<2>", which >> is not good. > > I have in my own personal .emacs file the following which mitigates > the problem but requires manual configuration for every package you > work with. And at my Emacs at the workplace, I have not yet adapted > .emacs, so I was annoyed again. All the info for an automatic > solution is actually in-place in the compiled Lisp files. Even when > some installation procedure copies _only_ the compiled files. > I want this feature as well. I came up with the following patch. It probably don't work correctly with non-ascii file names, I think one should check file coding there somewhere. Also I don't check user and machine since I share installation and source directories with different user names (long story) on different machines. Jan D.