all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* printing with dark background and faces
@ 2007-05-08 21:28 Allan Gottlieb
From: Allan Gottlieb @ 2007-05-08 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I use a dark (actually black) background and like it, except for a
problem with printing.  Although I mainly encounter the problem with
gnus, I believe it is an emacs, rather than qnus, question so I am
asking it here.

The function in question is ps-print-buffer-with faces, which works
just as expected and produces a hard copy that resembles the screen.

The trouble is that white on black, which I like on the screen, is
quite bad on paper (and uses a lot of ink).  I know about
ps-print-without-faces, but sometimes the color is useful.

What I would like is to have the print look the way my screen would
look were I using a light background.  Any suggestions?

thanks,
allan

* Re: printing with dark background and faces
       [not found] <mailman.411.1178668435.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-05-09  7:05 ` Stein Arild Strømme
From: Stein Arild Strømme @ 2007-05-09  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

[Allan Gottlieb]

| I use a dark (actually black) background and like it, except for a
| problem with printing.  Although I mainly encounter the problem with
| gnus, I believe it is an emacs, rather than qnus, question so I am
| asking it here.
|
| The function in question is ps-print-buffer-with faces, which works
| just as expected and produces a hard copy that resembles the screen.
|
| The trouble is that white on black, which I like on the screen, is
| quite bad on paper (and uses a lot of ink).  I know about
| ps-print-without-faces, but sometimes the color is useful.
|
| What I would like is to have the print look the way my screen would
| look were I using a light background.  Any suggestions?

(setq ps-print-color-p nil)

SA
--
Stein Arild Strømme            +47 55584825, +47 95801887
Universitetet i Bergen                  Fax: +47 55589672

* Re: printing with dark background and faces
@ 2007-05-09  8:14   ` Nordlöw
From: Nordlöw @ 2007-05-09  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 9 Maj, 09:05, stro...@math.uib.no (Stein Arild Strømme) wrote:
> [Allan Gottlieb]
>
> | I use a dark (actually black) background and like it, except for a
> | problem with printing.  Although I mainly encounter the problem with
> | gnus, I believe it is an emacs, rather than qnus, question so I am
> | asking it here.
> |
> | The function in question is ps-print-buffer-with faces, which works
> | just as expected and produces a hard copy that resembles the screen.
> |
> | The trouble is that white on black, which I like on the screen, is
> | quite bad on paper (and uses a lot of ink).  I know about
> | ps-print-without-faces, but sometimes the color is useful.
> |
> | What I would like is to have the print look the way my screen would
> | look were I using a light background.  Any suggestions?
>
> (setq ps-print-color-p nil)

I have also wondered about this problem for quite some time. If
believe the above statement strips away all colors which I think is
not what Allan wants.

If I do want to use the light-background coloring when printing,
should I then temporarily set the frame background to white, print and
then switch back? If so how do I dynamically change the background of
a window or frame from dark to light (white) and make the font-locking
follow correctly as had I restarted emacs with a light background?

/Nordlöw

* Re: printing with dark background and faces
@ 2007-05-09  8:41 ` Bauke Jan Douma
From: Bauke Jan Douma @ 2007-05-09  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Allan Gottlieb; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Allan Gottlieb wrote on 08-05-07 23:28:
> I use a dark (actually black) background and like it, except for a
> problem with printing.  Although I mainly encounter the problem with
> gnus, I believe it is an emacs, rather than qnus, question so I am
> asking it here.
>
> The function in question is ps-print-buffer-with faces, which works
> just as expected and produces a hard copy that resembles the screen.
>
> The trouble is that white on black, which I like on the screen, is
> quite bad on paper (and uses a lot of ink).  I know about
> ps-print-without-faces, but sometimes the color is useful.
>
> What I would like is to have the print look the way my screen would
> look were I using a light background.  Any suggestions?

There may be a quick solution to this from within emacs, but
I really couldn't tell at the moment.

Anyway, I toyed with this last week, and what I did was install
htmlfontify.el (-> google), make an html from the file in
question from within emacs, then started up nvu (-> google),
read in the html-page, changed background to white and voila.
Htmlfontify and nvu are little gems.

Some colors though (yellow) do not look very good on a white
background, but that's another problem.

bjd

* Re: printing with dark background and faces
@ 2007-05-09 12:58     ` Stein Arild Strømme
From: Stein Arild Strømme @ 2007-05-09 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

[Nordlöw]

| On 9 Maj, 09:05, stro...@math.uib.no (Stein Arild Strømme) wrote:
| > [Allan Gottlieb]
| >
| > | I use a dark (actually black) background and like it, except for a
| > | problem with printing.  Although I mainly encounter the problem with
| > | gnus, I believe it is an emacs, rather than qnus, question so I am
| > | asking it here.
| > |
| > | The function in question is ps-print-buffer-with faces, which works
| > | just as expected and produces a hard copy that resembles the screen.
| > |
| > | The trouble is that white on black, which I like on the screen, is
| > | quite bad on paper (and uses a lot of ink).  I know about
| > | ps-print-without-faces, but sometimes the color is useful.
| > |
| > | What I would like is to have the print look the way my screen would
| > | look were I using a light background.  Any suggestions?
| >
| > (setq ps-print-color-p nil)
|
| I have also wondered about this problem for quite some time. If
| believe the above statement strips away all colors which I think is
| not what Allan wants.

You are right of course, I did not pay close enough attention.  But
"the way my screen would look were I using a light background" is
hardly a well-defined notion, either.

| If I do want to use the light-background coloring when printing,
| should I then temporarily set the frame background to white, print and
| then switch back? If so how do I dynamically change the background of
| a window or frame from dark to light (white) and make the font-locking
| follow correctly as had I restarted emacs with a light background?

Look at color-theme.el for a quick way to change all colors.

SA
--

@ 2007-05-09 14:08     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-05-09 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nordlöw; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 09.05.2007 um 10:14 schrieb Nordlöw:

> If I do want to use the light-background coloring when printing,
> should I then temporarily set the frame background to white, print and
> then switch back? If so how do I dynamically change the background of
> a window or frame from dark to light (white) and make the font-locking
> follow correctly as had I restarted emacs with a light background?

Maybe it works with a "theme" ... For example: create a new frame
with the buffer or region to print, apply the theme, print, close the
frame – and the theme hopefully does not change anything in the other
frame(s)!

--
Greetings

   Pete

What’s the difference between OS X and Vista?

Microsoft employees are excited about OS X…

* Re: printing with dark background and faces
@ 2007-05-09 15:55       ` Allan Gottlieb
From: Allan Gottlieb @ 2007-05-09 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At Wed, 09 May 2007 14:58:19 +0200 stromme@math.uib.no (Stein Arild Strømme) wrote:

> Look at color-theme.el for a quick way to change all colors.

Very interesting.  I did not know about this and found dark laptop
very nice for viewing, a definite improvement over what I had.

I tried a few of the various light background themes, e.g. standard
emacs and for some reason the colors printed are far from those on the
screen.  The gnus headers which looked reddish came out cyan and the
cyan looking quoted material was barely visible.

But nonetheless this has helped a lot.  Dark laptop was worth the
small price of admission by itself and switching to a light theme and
printing without color is more than acceptable.  Having the colors
would be nice, but I am happy as it now stands.  Time to grade my
"Compiler Construction" final exams.

Thank you all.

@ 2007-05-09 19:12   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-05-09 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: stromme@math.uib.no (Stein Arild =?iso-8859-1?Q?Str=F8mme?=)
> Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 09:05:28 +0200
>
> | The trouble is that white on black, which I like on the screen, is
> | quite bad on paper (and uses a lot of ink).  I know about
> | ps-print-without-faces, but sometimes the color is useful.
> |
> | What I would like is to have the print look the way my screen would
> | look were I using a light background.  Any suggestions?
>
> (setq ps-print-color-p nil)

No, I don't think this is what the OP wants.

Allan, is it possible ps-print prints white on black because of some
of your customizations?  What happens if you start Emacs with the
command "emacs -q --no-site-file", then set up the default faces as
they are set in your normal session (i.e. white on black), and then
try ps-print-buffer-with-faces?

If that doesn't help, try customizing the variable
ps-use-face-background, and maybe also ps-default-fg and
ps-default-bg.

* Re: printing with dark background and faces
@ 2007-05-24  1:31     ` Allan Gottlieb
From: Allan Gottlieb @ 2007-05-24  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At Wed, 09 May 2007 22:12:07 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> From: stromme@math.uib.no (Stein Arild =?iso-8859-1?Q?Str=F8mme?=)
>> Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 09:05:28 +0200
>>
>> | The trouble is that white on black, which I like on the screen, is
>> | quite bad on paper (and uses a lot of ink).  I know about
>> | ps-print-without-faces, but sometimes the color is useful.
>> |
>> | What I would like is to have the print look the way my screen would
>> | look were I using a light background.  Any suggestions?
>>
>> (setq ps-print-color-p nil)
>
> No, I don't think this is what the OP wants.
>
> Allan, is it possible ps-print prints white on black because of some
> of your customizations?  What happens if you start Emacs with the
> command "emacs -q --no-site-file", then set up the default faces as
> they are set in your normal session (i.e. white on black), and then
> try ps-print-buffer-with-faces?

I tried emacs -q --no-site-file and did
(set foreground-color "white")
(set background-color "black")

The printing was till white on black

> If that doesn't help, try customizing the variable
> ps-use-face-background,

No change

> and maybe also ps-default-fg and ps-default-bg.

Bingo!

Thanks,
allan