all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Texinfo-mode: filling breaks @dfn{}
@ 2003-05-12 14:15 Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2003-05-12 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Emacs 21.1

In a file.texi, type in a @dfn{}, such that the term being elucidated
makes a line too big.  Then fill the paragraph with M-q (or let
auto-fill-mode do this).  For example:

line, and which begins in column 0.  (By @dfn{continuation of the
previous line} is meant that the previous line is syntactically

The filling fails to put the necessary \ to continue the @dfn onto the
next line.  That this is erroneous can be seen by the error messages
subsequently given by makeinfo:

cc-mode.texi:5114: Misplaced {.
cc-mode.texi:5114: Misplaced }.
cc-mode.texi:5114: @code missing close brace.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter

* Re: Texinfo-mode: filling breaks @dfn{}
@ 2003-05-14  2:38 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-05-14  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: 12 May 2003 16:15:23 +0200
> From: Alan Mackenzie <none@example.invalid>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.bug

> line, and which begins in column 0.  (By @dfn{continuation of the
> previous line} is meant that the previous line is syntactically
>
> The filling fails to put the necessary \ to continue the @dfn onto the
> next line.  That this is erroneous can be seen by the error messages
> subsequently given by makeinfo:
>
> cc-mode.texi:5114: Misplaced {.
> cc-mode.texi:5114: Misplaced }.
> cc-mode.texi:5114: @code missing close brace.

I cannot reproduce this problem: Texinfo does not require the argument
of @dfn to not span multiple lines, and thus makeinfo should not
complain about such @dfn's, and there's no need for the backslash.
And indeed, it didn't complain for me when I tried this.  What version
of makeinfo are you using?