all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* diary file variables are ignored in emacs and in calendar.el
@ 2007-04-22 22:11 ken
From: ken @ 2007-04-22 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU Emacs List

Running "M-x diary", emacs told me it "can't find my diary file
~/diary".  Never got that before, even though I've run "diary" many
times.  In my ~/.emacs it says

(setq diary-file "~/diary.emacs")

what it should be.  And it's there, where it "should" be and where it's
always been.  I track down "diary-file" to calendar.el and do

;;;###autoload
;<ken>changes name from default
;(defcustom diary-file "~/diary"
(defcustom diary-file "~/diary.emacs"

save it, shut emacs down, start it up again with "emacs -q &", do "C-h v
diary-file" and it returns "~/diary"!!!

Is this the work of gremlins?  What to do?

version is: 22.0.50.1

--
"This world ain't big enough for the both of us,"
said the big noema to the little noema.

* Re: diary file variables are ignored in emacs and in calendar.el
       [not found] <mailman.2379.1177280206.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-04-23  1:33 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-04-23  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ken wrote:

> Running "M-x diary", emacs told me it "can't find my diary file
> ~/diary".  Never got that before, even though I've run "diary" many
> times.  In my ~/.emacs it says
>
> (setq diary-file "~/diary.emacs")

Sure your .emacs was loaded, fully, without any errors?

> ;;;###autoload
> ;<ken>changes name from default
> ;(defcustom diary-file "~/diary"
> (defcustom diary-file "~/diary.emacs"

Don't, don't, don't do that kind of thing without a good reason (this
is not a good reason).

> save it, shut emacs down, start it up again with "emacs -q &", do "C-h v
> diary-file" and it returns "~/diary"!!!

Probably because you: a) did not recompile the file; and b) it's
autoloaded. But you don't want to do this anyway.

> version is: 22.0.50.1

A hideously old CVS version.

* Re: diary file variables are ignored in emacs and in calendar.el
@ 2007-04-23 19:25   ` ken
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2417.1177356658.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: ken @ 2007-04-23 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 04/22/2007 09:33 PM somebody named Glenn Morris wrote:
> ken wrote:
>
>> Running "M-x diary", emacs told me it "can't find my diary file
>> ~/diary".  Never got that before, even though I've run "diary" many
>> times.  In my ~/.emacs it says
>>
>> (setq diary-file "~/diary.emacs")
>
> Sure your .emacs was loaded, fully, without any errors?

Any happy folk out there know how to determine this (short of examining
every line)?

If it matters, I know that .emacs successfully executed code lower down
in .emacs than the above setq line.

--

@ 2007-04-23 19:28   ` ken
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2417.1177356658.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: ken @ 2007-04-23 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 04/22/2007 09:33 PM somebody named Glenn Morris wrote:
> ken wrote:
>
>> Running "M-x diary", emacs told me it "can't find my diary file
>> ~/diary".  Never got that before, even though I've run "diary" many
>> times.  In my ~/.emacs it says
>>
>> (setq diary-file "~/diary.emacs")
>
> Sure your .emacs was loaded, fully, without any errors?

Any happy folks out there know how to determine this (outside of
examining every line in .emacs)?

FWIW, code coming after the above setq line ran fine.

--

@ 2007-04-23 22:23     ` Glenn Morris
       [not found]       ` <mailman.2428.1177394472.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-04-23 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ken wrote:

> If it matters, I know that .emacs successfully executed code lower
> down in .emacs than the above setq line.

Then I have a hard time seeing how you could get this error.

i) what happens with:
emacs -q --no-site-file --eval '(setq diary-file "~/diary.emacs")' -f diary

ii) what does:
emacs
C-h v diary-file
say?

* Re: diary file variables are ignored in emacs and in calendar.el
@ 2007-04-24  5:55       ` ken
       [not found]       ` <mailman.2428.1177394472.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: ken @ 2007-04-24  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 04/23/2007 06:23 PM somebody named Glenn Morris wrote:
> ken wrote:
>
>> If it matters, I know that .emacs successfully executed code lower
>> down in .emacs than the above setq line.
>
> Then I have a hard time seeing how you could get this error.

Seems I was suffering from semicolon blindness, i.e., the above
statement I made isn't true, i.e., there is an error in .emacs which
caused it to bail before my redefinition of the variable diary-file:

(define-mail-alias weasels ripped.my@flesh.com)

Just looking at it and pondering elisp as hard as I can, I imagine it
must need a quote or two somewhere.  Being ever the elisp neophyte
though, I can't say where or what kind.

define-mail-alias is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
`mailalias.el'.
(define-mail-alias name definition &optional from-mailrc-file)

Define name as a mail alias that translates to definition.
This means that sending a message to name will actually send to definition.

gives me no clue as to syntax (though "me" might be the pivotal term here).

What's da fix??

tnx++

--

@ 2007-04-25  1:42         ` ken
From: ken @ 2007-04-25  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 04/24/2007 01:55 AM somebody named ken wrote:
> On 04/23/2007 06:23 PM somebody named Glenn Morris wrote:
>> ken wrote:

> (define-mail-alias weasels ripped.my@flesh.com)

This should be

(define-mail-alias 'weasels "ripped.my@flesh.com")

yes?

--

@ 2007-04-27 14:27         ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2007-04-27 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ken <gebser@speakeasy.net> writes:

> (define-mail-alias weasels ripped.my@flesh.com)
>
> Just looking at it and pondering elisp as hard as I can, I imagine it
> must need a quote or two somewhere.  Being ever the elisp neophyte
> though, I can't say where or what kind.

See (info "(emacs)Mail Aliases")