all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs current directory when shell commands change directory
@ 2007-04-20 18:35 David Strozzi
From: David Strozzi @ 2007-04-20 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I and others have a minor problem with emacs' shell mode.  Suppose you
use commands (namely aliases) that change the current directory.
Emacs doesn't realize the working dir has changed.  If one were to
manually type 'cd dir', then 'M-x pwd' tells you the right dir.  But
after running an alias to 'cd dir', 'M-x pwd' think you're in the
starting dir.  This de-syncs tab completion, file opening, etc from
where you 'really' are in the shell.  Of course, the shell correctly
changes the working dir when aliases are run.

Any way around this?

Thanks,
David Strozzi

* Re: emacs current directory when shell commands change directory
@ 2007-04-20 19:08 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-04-20 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Strozzi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 20.04.2007 um 20:35 schrieb David Strozzi:

> Any way around this?

Customisation!

The variable's name is: shell-pushd-regexp – it also is used for pop.

--
Greetings

   Pete

A lot of us are working harder than we want, at things we don't like
to do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care
to live.
                                    -- Bradford Angier

* Re: emacs current directory when shell commands change directory
@ 2007-04-21  1:16 ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2007-04-21  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Strozzi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"David Strozzi" <david.strozzi@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I and others have a minor problem with emacs' shell mode.  Suppose you
> use commands (namely aliases) that change the current directory.
> Emacs doesn't realize the working dir has changed.  If one were to
> manually type 'cd dir', then 'M-x pwd' tells you the right dir.  But
> after running an alias to 'cd dir', 'M-x pwd' think you're in the
> starting dir.  This de-syncs tab completion, file opening, etc from
> where you 'really' are in the shell.  Of course, the shell correctly
> changes the working dir when aliases are run.
>
> Any way around this?

I checked it with "M-x eshell" and in this shell it works.

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

* Re: emacs current directory when shell commands change directory
@ 2007-04-21  7:21   ` Daniel Rubin
From: Daniel Rubin @ 2007-04-21  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 20.04.2007 um 20:35 schrieb David Strozzi:
>
>> Any way around this?
>
> Customisation!
>
> The variable's name is: shell-pushd-regexp – it also is used for pop.

And if you (your shell) ever get lost still, M-x dirs RET gets you
back.

Have fun
----Daniel

--