all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Converting German Umlauts to LaTeX
@ 2007-04-20 10:07 Christian Herenz
From: Christian Herenz @ 2007-04-20 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,
I am totally new to this eMail-List, so I hope this question does not
seem dumb, or so..

I write my LaTeX documents usually in emacs, that works very fine at my
personal computer. Since I am german, I use the UTF-8 encoding. I load
the package for UTF-8 encoding in TeX simply with
/usepackage[utf-8]{inputenc}, which really improves typing a lot (I am
german, so I use frequently umlauts and the szlig).

However, at the computer-terminals in our institute, they do not support
UTF-8. LaTeX gives me an error-message, that [utf-8] is not supported by
inputenc.

My idea was to convert the document into an UTF-8 free file. So that all
occurences of umlauts will be converted into the LaTeX equivalent (e.g.
ö to "o), and I could also compile the file on the debain-boxes at our
instiute.

I think that this could be achived with a few lines of code, but I am
somewhat new to customize emacs with elisp (havent done anything yet),
so could you please give me a hint or point me where to look.

Thanks in advance,
Christian from Germany

[parent not found: <mailman.2295.1177063991.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]