all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Problem printing
@ 2007-04-19 18:02 Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2007-04-19 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

When I have a document with characters like ë and the euro sign (my
newsreeder does not let me use this character) then Emacs has problems
printing. A ë becomes severall spaces and after a euro sign Emacs stops
printing. When I print the file from within a shell with 'lpr <file-name>,
the file is correctly printed.
What do I have to do to make printing work correctly in Emacs?

* Re: Problem printing
@ 2007-04-19 19:05 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-04-19 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cecil Westerhof; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 19.04.2007 um 20:02 schrieb Cecil Westerhof:

> What do I have to do to make printing work correctly in Emacs?

Convert the buffer to UTF-8 encoded HTML, open the HTML output file
in your preferred browser, and print from there.

GNU Emacs does not support PostScript printing from a different
encoding than ISO Latin-1 or ISO 8859-1. Modern versions of GNU Emacs
(CVS?) have ELisp code that tells you that these and some other
characters cannot be printed.

Lennart Borgman provides the ELisp file htmlize-view.el (formerly
available at http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/Emacs.html). It uses
htmlize.el from Hrvoje Nikšić available at http://fly.srk.fer.hr/
~hniksic/emacs/htmlize.el.

--
Greetings

   Pete

A child of five could understand this!  Fetch me a child of five.

* Re: Problem printing
@ 2007-04-19 21:23   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-04-19 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Lennart Borgman provides the ELisp file htmlize-view.el (formerly
> available at http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/Emacs.html). It uses
> htmlize.el from Hrvoje Nikšić available at
> http://fly.srk.fer.hr/~hniksic/emacs/htmlize.el.

I will make them more easily available again when I have time. To get
both files now you can download the zip file with EmacsW32 (only) and
grap them there:

   http://ourcomments.org/cgi-bin/emacsw32-dl-latest.pl