all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* file/local variables (and auctex?)
@ 2007-04-10 10:35 thorne
From: thorne @ 2007-04-10 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello.  I am working on a file and in its current incarnation it has a
file variables (first) line that looks like this:

% -*- fill-column: 60; -*-

and a local variables (last) section that looks like this:

% Local Variables: %
% mode:latex %
% mode:longlines %
% tab-width:5 %
% tex-open-quote:"\"" %
% tex-close-quote:"\"" %
% indent-tabs-mode:nil %
% indent-line-function:insert-tab %
% End: %

The problem:  latex mode and longlines do turn on and everything works
except setting fill-column and setting the tex open/close quote
string.  C-h v fill-column RET tells me it is set to 68 instead of
60.  Stranger, is that the tex open/close quote string tells me (when
i do C-h v) that they _are_ set correctly... yet when i acually type
a quote in the buffer, it inserts the default tex quotes.  I am
baffled.  Can anyone clue me in on what may be wrong?

[This is GNU Emacs 22.0.92.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu... )]

Thanks!

--
þ    theron tlåx    þ
(compose-mail (concat "thorne@" (rot13 "gvzoeny") ".net"))

* Re: file/local variables (and auctex?)
@ 2007-04-10 17:33 ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2007-04-10 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* thorne (2007-04-10) writes:

> Hello.  I am working on a file and in its current incarnation it has a
> file variables (first) line that looks like this:
>
> % -*- fill-column: 60; -*-
>
> and a local variables (last) section that looks like this:
>
> % Local Variables: %
> % mode:latex %
> % mode:longlines %
> % tab-width:5 %
> % tex-open-quote:"\"" %
> % tex-close-quote:"\"" %
> % indent-tabs-mode:nil %
> % indent-line-function:insert-tab %
> % End: %

There is some spurious whitespace at the end of the last line.  This
prevents the whole stanza from being processed since the suffixes do
not match.

> The problem:  latex mode and longlines do turn on and everything works
> except setting fill-column and setting the tex open/close quote
> string.  C-h v fill-column RET tells me it is set to 68 instead of
> 60.

You specified to call LaTeX mode in the local variables stanza.  This
mode will be called after `fill-column' is set and call
`kill-all-local-variables' which kills off the local value of
`fill-column'.  Solution: Set all variables in the local variables
stanza _after_ specifying the major mode.

> Stranger, is that the tex open/close quote string tells me (when
> i do C-h v) that they _are_ set correctly... yet when i acually type
> a quote in the buffer, it inserts the default tex quotes.  I am
> baffled.  Can anyone clue me in on what may be wrong?

The variables in AUCTeX are called `TeX-open-quote' and
`TeX-close-quote', not `tex-open-quote' and `tex-close-quote'.

--
Ralf

* Re: file/local variables (and auctex?)
@ 2007-04-11  0:40   ` thorne
From: thorne @ 2007-04-11  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ralf Angeli <dev.null@caeruleus.net> writes:

> There is some spurious whitespace at the end of the last line.

Yeah, wow i actually found that last night and sure enough, it has an
effect.  That trailing whitespace would have an effect does not
seem... ideal.

> You specified to call LaTeX mode in the local variables stanza.

Yeah, thanks.  I got it more or less fixed.

> The variables in AUCTeX are called `TeX-open-quote' and
> `TeX-close-quote', not `tex-open-quote' and `tex-close-quote'.

Wow.  So sure enough, i do have a variable called `tex-open-quotes'
and another one called `TeX-open-quotes'.  That does not seem to me to
be... ideal.

Well, it doesn't matter.  I think i am officially giving up on doing
what i want to do with either troff or LaTeX.  But thank you anyway.
When my next avenue of approach fails to pan out, maybe i will come
back to LaTeX.

--

@ 2007-04-11  5:53 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2007-04-11  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev.null; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 >> % Local Variables: %
 >> % mode:latex %
 >> % mode:longlines %
 >> % tab-width:5 %
 >> % tex-open-quote:"\"" %
 >> % tex-close-quote:"\"" %
 >> % indent-tabs-mode:nil %
 >> % indent-line-function:insert-tab %
 >> % End: %
 >
 > There is some spurious whitespace at the end of the last line.  This
 > prevents the whole stanza from being processed since the suffixes do
 > not match.

That would have caused a "Local variables list is not properly
terminated" error.  In the particular case the suffix is " %" and
matches, the trailing space being ignored.

* Re: file/local variables (and auctex?)
       [not found] <mailman.1938.1176270970.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-04-11 16:55 ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2007-04-11 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* martin rudalics (2007-04-11) writes:

>  >> % Local Variables: %
>  >> % mode:latex %
>  >> % mode:longlines %
>  >> % tab-width:5 %
>  >> % tex-open-quote:"\"" %
>  >> % tex-close-quote:"\"" %
>  >> % indent-tabs-mode:nil %
>  >> % indent-line-function:insert-tab %
>  >> % End: %
>  >
>  > There is some spurious whitespace at the end of the last line.  This
>  > prevents the whole stanza from being processed since the suffixes do
>  > not match.
>
> That would have caused a "Local variables list is not properly
> terminated" error.  In the particular case the suffix is " %" and
> matches, the trailing space being ignored.

I actually got this very error when copying the lines above to a file
and opening it.

--
Ralf

* Re: file/local variables (and auctex?)
@ 2007-04-12  8:34 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2007-04-12  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev.null; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > I actually got this very error when copying the lines above to a file
 > and opening it.

Indeed - I was confused because the OP didn't mention it the first time.
It's due to the "$" in

	  (let ((suffix
		 (concat
		  (regexp-quote (buffer-substring (point)
						  (line-end-position)))
		  "$"))

and I stand corrected.  Maybe we should write

	  (let ((suffix
		 (concat
		  (regexp-quote (buffer-substring (point)
						  (line-end-position)))