all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* RE: Do Re Mi (was: Q on Text Properties popup menu -shouldn'titusethepointerposition, not the cursor position?)
@ 2005-06-28 18:43 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2005-06-28 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw

    1. C-mouse-2 on text in, say, face `font-lock-comment'.
    Choose "Change Face Foreground" in the popup "Text Properties" menu.
    Alternatively, use `M-x doremi-face-fg'; that command prompts
    you for the face to change.

    2. Prompt appears in minibuffer: Change foreground of
    `font-lock-comment'. Adjust red, green, blue, hue, saturation...

    3. Enter one of the characters [rgbhsv].

I neglected to mention that at the end of step 3 a "*Face Sample*" buffer is
popped up showing sample text in the face. This is more important for `M-x
doremi-face-fg', where you might choose a face that is not currently
displayed. In the case of "Change Face Foreground" (which calls
`doremi-face-fg'), the current buffer shows the face.

* RE: Do Re Mi (was: Q on Text Properties popup menu -shouldn'titusethepointerposition, not the cursor position?)
@ 2005-06-28 19:53 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2005-06-28 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw

    Do Re Mi sounds very nice, but I think it might want to also
    use the mouse as an alternative to the arrow keys.

Not sure what you mean. You can currently use the mouse wheel as well as the
arrow keys. Were you perhaps thinking of using mouse gestures?

    Also, in some cases it might be
    good to map two dimensions of the color space at a time, not just one.

It could be done, I suppose. But, unless you would limit that to 45 degree
diagonals (equal changes in two dimensions), which is not that useful, I
think a different approach would be called for; that is, use a different,
more sophisticated interface, such as that provided by various other apps.

The Custom tab of the Colors dialog box of Word is a good (typical?)
example. It's difficult to describe, so I've attached an image. You can use
it to:

 - Set color components absolutely, using RGB or HSV. You can change any of
these components incrementally.

 - Pick a color from a spectrum display whose saturation changes in the
orthogonal axis (that is, hue x saturation). After picking a spot in this
color plane, you can use the arrow keys to change the saturation (up, down)
or hue (left, right) incrementally. You can also drag the pointer around the
display to change the color.

 - Change only the value, using an associated scale. That is, the third,
value axis is shown separately, next to the hue x saturation plane. You can
use the arrow keys to move the slider along this scale, incrementally
changing the value.

The current color is shown, along with the new color (the one you are
changing). The new color is updated in all displays (RGB, HSV, hue x
saturation plane, value scale) as you change it.

The only disadvantage of such a dialog box wrt doremi is that you don't see
the result reflected immediately in the context of your Emacs buffers - you
see it only in the dialog-box color swatches (New, Current). But we could
choose to also show the changes simultaneously in Emacs buffers.

I'm only suggesting that doremi is rudimentary, compared to something like
the Word dialog box. To change more than one color component at the same
time, it's better to have an interface that shows a color space, such as in
the Word dialog box.

[-- Attachment #2: color-db.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 62256 bytes --]

* Re: Do Re Mi (was: Q on Text Properties popup menu -shouldn'titusethepointerposition, not the cursor position?)
@ 2005-06-28 20:33   ` Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2005-06-28 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw

Perhaps you could simply adapt the four color selectors available in
the GIMP; the first is what you describe.  The other three do the same
thing, but with different interfaces.  Obviously, one wants to change
more than one color component at the same time, so the four interfaces
may need some adaption.

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    bob@rattlesnake.com                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8

* Re: Do Re Mi (was: Q on Text Properties popup menu -shouldn'titusethepointerposition, not the cursor position?)
@ 2005-06-29  3:59   ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-06-29  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: emacs-devel

	Also, in some cases it might be
	good to map two dimensions of the color space at a time, not just one.

    It could be done, I suppose. But, unless you would limit that to 45 degree
    diagonals (equal changes in two dimensions), which is not that useful,

I think we are miscommunicating.  I'm thinking that horizontal arrows
could alter one dimension in color space, while vertical arrows
could alter another dimension.

Since it doesn't have to be limited to arrows, another pair of keys
could move in the third dimension of color space.

     To change more than one color component at the same
    time, it's better to have an interface that shows a color space, such as in
    the Word dialog box.

That sounds plausible.  I wonder if that could be programmed in Emacs
Lisp.  Also, some toolkits may have a widget for doing this job,
and maybe Emacs could invoke it somehow.

* Re: Do Re Mi (was: Q on Text Properties popup menu -shouldn'titusethepointerposition, not the cursor position?)
@ 2005-06-29  8:47 LENNART BORGMAN
From: LENNART BORGMAN @ 2005-06-29  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: Drew Adams, emacs-devel

From: "Richard M. Stallman" <rms@gnu.org>

>     To change more than one color component at the same
>    time, it's better to have an interface that shows a color
> space, such as in
>    the Word dialog box.
>
> That sounds plausible.  I wonder if that could be programmed in Emacs
> Lisp.  Also, some toolkits may have a widget for doing this job,
> and maybe Emacs could invoke it somehow.

There is code for this in GIMP of course. W32 has a common dialog for this (which is not as good as what GIMP offers).